The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Humboldt Broncos Involved in Bus Crash

Rate this topic

1 minute ago, peaches5 said:

“Oddan could not confirm details on casualties but said each air ambulance is capable of carrying up to two patients”

He’s inferring any bodies or critical injured would be taken in the helicopters and with 3 there are up to 6 deaths. 

The longer we wait for information, the worse I’m worried this is going to be.  This is bloody terrible.  

2 hours ago, peaches5 said:

https://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/canada/multiple-fatalities-in-bus-crash-involving-saskatchewan-junior-hockey-team-1.3875235

Says 3 air ambulances and when asked how many fatalities they said they didnt know but each air ambulance can carry 2 people. Sounds like there are up to 6 deaths. 

Just stating the truth, the air ambulances will be reserved for those they can save or improve life with immediate care.  And lets hope they do!

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Take Luc Bourdon multiply by 14, 14 families, friends, all the fans of junior hockey, shockwaves throughout the community.

Just horrible. 

Plus the other 14 from the bus are all in hospital, 3 reported to be in critical condition, and one player who can’t feel his lower body.

I was really hoping I’d wake up to learn that things weren’t as bad as those early unconfirmed reports were suggesting last night.

Instead, it’s even worse. :( 

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
Typos
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Plus the other 14 from the bus are all in hospital, 3 reported to be in critical condition, and one player who can’t feel his lower body.

I was really hoping I’d wake up to learn that things weren’t as bad as those early unconfirmed reports were suggesting last night.

Instead, it’s even worse. :( 

Every person on the bus is either dead or in hospital.  That’s horrifying.  

Just now, Alflives said:

Every person on the bus is either dead or in hospital.  That’s horrifying.  

There’s a picture online someone took from the accident scene showing the bus. Right now it just feels too sensationalistic to post that image, so I won’t put it up. But when you look at that wreck, you can definitely understand the scope of this tragedy.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I really feel for the 1st responders that have to work through everything they need to on a night like this

Me too. My dad was the chief of a rural volunteer fire department for many years. And those guys were always first on the scene, whether it was a fire, accident, or a medical call. In those days, their crisis counseling involved a few bottles passed around between the guys at the firehall after the call was over. And then dad just being really quiet for a several days after a really bad call. Thankfully, the training and resources are much better today, so first responders are more prepared for what they face and they get the help they need after dealing with tragedies like this.

• Upvote 2

This is horrible. I used to drive my sons and some of their friends to hockey tournaments and games through very bad weather in a van or crew cab. I've had close calls with big trucks who drive too fast for road conditions. An accident like that was one of my biggest fears; I can't imagine the nightmare they are living in right now. I, like many others send my positive hopes for recovery for them and condolences but unfortunately time does not heal all wounds. So sad.

5 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Me too. My dad was the chief of a rural volunteer fire department for many years. And those guys were always first on the scene, whether it was a fire, accident, or a medical call. In those days, their crisis counseling involved a few bottles passed around between the guys at the firehall after the call was over. And then dad just being really quiet for a several days after a really bad call. Thankfully, the training and resources are much better today, so first responders are more prepared for what they face and they get the help they need after dealing with tragedies like this.

My dad was a fire fighter. I know exactly what you're talking about. As children, we knew when to give him a hug then get out of his space. He was an alcoholic, but I can understand why after hearing some of the stuff he saw and had to live with. First on scene care providers have it extremely tough.

• Like 1

As a kid, I've been on more of these bus trips than I can count and I'm sure my parents went through a lot of worry over the years. Travel in winter on Canadian highways is always going to have it's risks.

The thing about Saskatchewan is that there are a lot of roads, generally laid out in a gridlike fashion. Going from memory of when I traveled Sask a lot, I have a pretty good idea where the bus was when this occurred. I was trying to wrap my head around how they could have been T-Boned by a semi. Looking at google maps, I think I see:

image.png.ea4fabed7c80400c7335956aeae4b55f.png

They were north of Tisdale, on a straight run to Nipawin. I think the accident must have happened at the junction of highway 35 and route 335. There may have been a stop sign, or the junction might have been uncontrolled. I've certainly seen some in my travels around the province.

For point of reference, Humboldt would be to the lower left of this map.

And as I'm typing this, some details are starting to come out::(

The captain of the Humboldt Broncos hockey team is among 14 dead following a horrific bus crash in Saskatchewan.

Logan Schatz died along with head coach Darcy Haugan when the junior hockey team's bus collided with a truck on the way to a playoff game in northeastern Saskatchewan Friday.

Kelly Schatz, Logan's father, says his 20-year-old son played for the Broncos for just over four years and had served as team captain for the past two-and-a-half years.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/newsalert-humboldt-broncos-captain-among-the-dead/ar-AAvApoW?li=AAggNb9