[Proposal] Bringing Home the BC Boy

Trade

To Buffalo:

Sven Baertschi

Kole Lind 

† 2019 Second Round Pick.

To Vancouver:
Sam Reinhart

Losing Kole Lind sucks. Big time. But we get Sam Reinhart who will slot in solidly as our second line centre. He's been on an awful Sabres team and the losing has really affected his development. A few years back when Benning first took over, he had been trying to trade up to #1 and it was rumoured to grab Sam Reinhart. I really believe Sam has the potential to reach 70 points on a consistent basis and be a great 1B centre. A change of scenery and playing with talent like Pettersson could make it happen. We also don't know whether Pettersson can thrive as a centre in the NHL since he has been playing wing for the majority of the past two seasons. 

Sam has found himself a bit redundant in Buffalo who probably can't afford his new contract. His development has been disappointing partly due to playing on a losing team and atmosphere in Buffalo. With Eichel, O'Reilly and Mittelstadt as their centres for the future, Buffalo doesn't need any more centres, especially one who will be looking for a notable pay raise. They get a cheap scoring replacement in Baertschi and a solid A-  prospect who could step in as soon as the season after next. The Second Round pick sweetens the deal. 

Sign / Re-Sign

Calvin De Haan - 3 years @ $12,000,000. $4,000,000 AAV. 

De Haan solidifies our second pairing and hopefully improves our awful defence from last year. The Islanders will likely move on from him given his recent shoulder injury and the fact that he'll be seeking longer term and a higher pay. We do take a risk especially since he's had a history of shoulder injuries but on a 3 year deal, it's a risk worth taking.

Markus Granlund - 1 Year @ 2,000,000. 

Sam Reinhart - 3 Years @ $12,000,000. $4,000,000 AAV. 

Tentative Lineup

Leipsic-Horvat-Boeser

Pettersson-Reinhart-Virtanen

Eriksson-Sutter-Granlund

Motte-Gaudette-Goldobin

(Gagner)(Gaunce)

Edler-Tanev

De Haan-Stecher

Juolevi-Gudbranson

(Del Zotto)(Pouliot)

*Hutton

Markstrom

Demko

If Needed to Consummate the Trade. 

*Hutton re-finds his game and works on his offence in Utica. 

28 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

no thanks hard pass this guys not worth that linds a better player so hell no

Not worth what? A fringe top 6 forward and a prospect who has yet to prove anything? For a former #2 overall pick who had 50 points on a crap team with a crap season?

I would do it Reinhart is 22 years old and trending up, soon to be a 70 point guy.......Bare cheese may have peaked, Kind is unproven and you won't get a better player with the second rounder.

Problem is, Buffalo wouldn't be looking to trade a future piece of the puzzle would they? There would have to be a 1st involved for them to bite so then it is not worth it.

1 hour ago, Pears said:

Just like how Dane Fox was a better player than Drouin right?

no im pretty sure lind is better and only reason reinhart is getting points is hes shotgun with eichel  sorry you dont trade prospects like lind you surround your team with young talent 

27 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

no im pretty sure lind is better and only reason reinhart is getting points is hes shotgun with eichel  sorry you dont trade prospects like lind you surround your team with young talent 

No kidding. Sam Reinhart is 22 and way passed his prime. 

Also, you're pretty wrong about riding shotgun with Eichel (https://frozenpool.dobbersports.com/frozenpool_linecombo.php?period=ALL&situation=EV&selTeamFwd=BUF&games=2017-2018%3AR%3A99&Submit=Show+Line+Combinations&sent=go).

21 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

Extrapolating from your post, we should probably get rid of Horvat since he's at the senile old age of 23 haha 

Buffalo probably wants what we want. Upgrade on defense. If they trade Reino for whatever reason it won't be for a fringe second liner and a prospect that hasn't done much of anything yet. He had a great year in Junior no doubt, but it's not uncommon to see people light up Junior and it not translate to the pros. I have high hopes for Lind, he could end up bringing exactly what Reino brings, unless Reino develops into a 70 point guy which isn't out of the realm of possibility. They aren't moving him for anything less than a potential top 2 d-man.

I don't mind the idea bringing in Sam, but there's no scenario where he "slots in" as our 2nd C right away. At least not for a season or 2 where he's given duties as a C. Buffalo used him as a RW most of the time, often on the 3rd line because he struggles in the C role. 

The trade value is close, but do we really need to spend Lind and a 2nd where the team is now on another winger? I'd rather see that go in part of a package for a higher end D prospect - or better yet moving up at the draft.

This would be a stupid trade for us. Why give up a second(Benning always finds gems), Kole Lind who's shaping up as a middle 6 RW and Baer who is currently about a second liner. All for an unproven player that rides shotgun to one of the best in the NHL?

If we are trading away our best prospects and picks we need defensemen coming back.

Hard no in my mind

1 hour ago, Down by the River said:

No kidding. Sam Reinhart is 22 and way passed his prime. 

Also, you're pretty wrong about riding shotgun with Eichel (https://frozenpool.dobbersports.com/frozenpool_linecombo.php?period=ALL&situation=EV&selTeamFwd=BUF&games=2017-2018%3AR%3A99&Submit=Show+Line+Combinations&sent=go).

most of his even str and PP points were when he was on a line with O'Reilly - there's a trade I'd like to see. Sam's fine but he won't be a difference maker on this team imo. 

I think it's clear the Sabres missed on that pick of Sammy Boy.  They (obviously) should have taken Draisatl.  That being said, I do like Sam's game.  I just don't see us needing him.  I wonder if Sam is a player a team can win with, especially if he's being paid for a top six role, when he's (likely) not a top six player?

Archived