The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks had the 2nd best odds of picking 1st overall with one ball left to draw. Ottawa had the best odds. Also, Buffalo technically won the 3rd overall pick as well.

Where's Wellwood

34 minutes ago, khay said:

Sure but if they barely miss, that chance is like 1%.

On the opposite spectrum, we had this "fair" system that rewarded $hitty franchises. It saw Edmonton F*cking Oilers win 4 first overall picks. It saw the the Penguins, that joke of a franchise, end up with Crosby, Malkin, Fleury, Staal and so on. These teams' management sucked on purpose for a chance to draft high and succeeded (although they did get lucky with Crosby because 9 other teams had the equal chance). That's not fair. They didn't deserve Crosby and Malkin. The current system lowers the chance of such $hitty franchise like Penguins rising to dominance. The joke is that with very small chance, these teams could get lucky and get even better. But I think that's more fair than rewarding a team that is devoid of any morale and tanks on purpose.

Imagine if during the Sedins and Luongo era, when we missed the playoffs in 2008, if we won one of the top 2 picks, then we would have drafted Stamkos or Doughty. We would have won at least 3 cups then. The thing is, this system can benefit anyone, even us. The old system? It only benefits other teams operating without moral, without principles (well I guess they do have some principle, that is, be faceless and tank on purpose).

The problem is they have overcorrected. You want to have a lottery to stop tanking that's fine make a lottery where 3 teams can drop 5 spots. That way if you come in last you can only move to 4th if the teams 5 above you win the lottery. 

I have no problem with the 15th team picking 10th or 5th picking first but I do have a problem with 15th picking first.

2 hours ago, khay said:

The system is not a joke. The day will come when we miss the playoffs by few points due to injury at stuff and look for us to win a top 3 pick and win the cup the year after with the player we draft.

Yeah, won't happen. 

Guess you missed the memo. "Lose the Vancouver numbers until after the really good stuff is gone" Signed B.

1 hour ago, thrago said:

Ok senario for you. Next year Crosby and Malkin get hurt and miss most of the season as a result they miss the playoffs.  Some stroke of luck they win the lottery and pick first overall.  The fact that this is a real possibility makes this system a joke.

Or... Pittsburgh trades Carlyle away for a pick and future considerations and buries their #1 goalie in the minors.  They finish with the worst record in the NHL and are guaranteed the first overall pick (because there was no lottery) which lands them Mario Lemieux.

I would rather have the lottery thanks.

1 hour ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

I was one number off on my lottery ticket once too. 

I spent six bucks on Friday for a Lotto Max, won two dollars and turned that and another four bucks into a new ticket.  Should double my odds of winning no?

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

True enough.  Other than Dahlin taken first, the rest of the top 7 could go in any order.  

It was more the fact it irrelevant whether we would have the best or worst odds with one ball to go...Its like adding salt into an open wound... just more pain.

19 minutes ago, thrago said:

The problem is they have overcorrected. You want to have a lottery to stop tanking that's fine make a lottery where 3 teams can drop 5 spots. That way if you come in last you can only move to 4th if the teams 5 above you win the lottery. 

I have no problem with the 15th team picking 10th or 5th picking first but I do have a problem with 15th picking first.

Absolutely and the system is broken for the time being...NJ, PHI, CLB, WNP and now CAR have picked way above their position, especially PHI who had a down year and came out way ahead as a result.  Personally Id be ok if the bracketed the teams in fives, each of which could change position within each bracket with similar odds, no way anyone missing the playoffs by less than ten points should get a chance at the top three.  The draft originated to gain access to Quebec players (MTL had a Monopoly) and to allow bad teams the chance to improve, part of me thinks this is Bettmans brain trust's answer to removing some of the Vanilla the cap era league has become, and to introduce the opportunity for really exceptional teams again, and part of me thinks its just to keep tanking at bay. 

Problem is bad teams get penalized.  Maybe if they added a clause that prevented teams from being allowed to slip two consecutive years, or better yet just go back to how it was.  Buffalo was dead last twice before the changes and still didn't get first overall, and they finally got it....weird coincidence right?  If they slipped to fourth like COL last year maybe they'd protest or at least garner sympathy and negative press.  Daly wouldn't like that.

Worst team in a three year period end we draft 5 5 7 so NJ, PHI, CLB, WNP (really WNP had no business getting Laine) and CAR can rebuild or re-tool faster to promote anti-tanking.  Its a joke.  If next year we are say eigth

worst in the league and then win the first overall, in our city on our fifty birthday, this thing is rigged for sure.

I mean do the GMs get to count the balls?  I'd ask to do it if I was there.

38 minutes ago, thrago said:

Agreed. Also, there should be an extra layer of odds that takes previous lottery results into consideration to help prevent consecutive lucky or unlucky lotteries.

3 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Who cares?

Yeah. Moot at this point.

If only the last number had been different we'd have won the lottery. And then if any of the other three numbers had been different we wouldn't have had two combinations left. And if we'd lost more games, and if we'd won one more in '94 or 2011, and, and, and...

Just now, elvis15 said:

If only the last number had been different we'd have won the lottery. And then if any of the other three numbers had been different we wouldn't have had two combinations left. And if we'd lost more games, and if we'd won one more in '94 or 2011, and, and, and...

“If ifs and buts were candy and nuts ...” 

2 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Well doesn't matter the Canucks draft 7th. 

Doesn't matter missing by a millimetre or a kilometre. 

This isn't target shooting, or curling. 

Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.

59 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

Yeah if my auntie had d***, she would have been my uncle, and if the dog hadn't stopped for a crap, it would have caught the hare...

I think they should continue with the three lotteries but limit the maximum a team can move up.  Say 5 spots.

The result this year would still have the Canucks in 7th, but Mtl would pick 2nd and Ottawa 3rd.  Carolina up 5 spots to 6 OA.... as they’re already a team with a solid collection of young assets. 

This would at least stop the worst teams getting totally screwed by the possibility of a Dallas or Chicago picking top 3.  

AND/OR if you win a lottery, you become exempt from the lottery for a determined amount of time... say 2 years... to ensure top 3 picks are spread around the leagues rebuilding clubs.  

Archived