The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

So whatcha growin', Punk? The CDC Gardener's thread. Let's grow!

Rate this topic

Hello follow CDC greenthumbs!

I figure we should have a thread all about our gardens, our crops, pests, weeds and all things gardening. Even lawn care (for the weeners, psst- It's grass)

I grow a variety of veg (and fruit) for most of the year-

Salad greens (romaine, loose leaf, butter crunch lettuces and kale) peas, carrots, squash, cucumbers, onions, potatoes, shallots, San Marzano and Fiorentino tomatoes, cannabis, bell peppers, hungarian hot wax peppers, jalepenos, garlic... (*failed*) *habaneros*, *broccoli*, *cauliflower*.

Strawberries and raspberries too.

I also have 6 fruit trees - 3 huge king fig trees which I make $ from, 1 macintosh apple, 1 red delicious and 1 peach tree.

My lovely wife runs the flower and ornimental garden, but I'm a willing participant because I used to do bonsai's before kids and home ownership. Therefore I really enjoy training trees/shrubbery and being outside playing in the dirt when I can, and it doesn't suck outside.

So what do you grow? We can all learn something from eachother and I love CDC. So let'r rip CDC, LETS GROW!

Edited by luckylager
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

I live in a townhouse with a tiny backyard that doesn't get much sunshine.  A couple of years ago I put in two blueberry bushes that have been producing well.  Every year I'll plant snap peas as they do well in the shade and the kids love to pick 'em and eat 'em.  

• Cheers 1
1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

I live in a townhouse with a tiny backyard that doesn't get much sunshine.  A couple of years ago I put in two blueberry bushes that have been producing well.  Every year I'll plant snap peas as they do well in the shade and the kids love to pick 'em and eat 'em.  

Nice! My brother has some blueberry, his have on, off years it would seem.

You could probably figure a way to hang some strawberries at your place. Keeps the marchands out of them too.

-Edit-  I moved my strawberries to hanging baskets on the deck because of vermin a few years back. I saw a rat in them, had a crisis because my kids had been eating them.. Totally freak out actually. My kids survived

Edited by luckylager
7 hours ago, Two one one said:

i vomited in my sink, didn't clean all of it up, and now there's a colony growing

Well at least you made it to the sink.

I had a roommate who puked on his carpeted bedroom floor, put a towel over it and left it there for months.

The dude was a filthy animal

I thatched my lawn 2 weeks ago ,50 bucks worth of seed  once again , mice with wings ,(little birds ) for the first couple of days I stood vigil in my back yard with my .177, leonard the neighbours cat helped out I got one  lenny ,he did real good , any way there is no loyalty with these little birds ,they don't care that their bro or sis just got takin out ,once and while a robin will stop by ,a fast tiny little piece of lead flying by is enough for the robin ,and he's outta there, these tiny little birds are pretty nervy.   word is out  hey guys theres seeds again in that dummies yard. :mad: hopefully some seed will sprout and then i'll throw some more down, that is if they don't eat every last seed...................................

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
16 minutes ago, chon derry said:

I thatched my lawn 2 weeks ago ,50 bucks worth of seed  once again , mice with wings ,(little birds ) for the first couple of days I stood vigil in my back yard with my .177, leonard the neighbours cat helped out I got one  lenny ,he did real good , any way there is no loyalty with these little birds ,they don't care that their bro or sis just got takin out ,once and while a robin will stop by ,a fast tiny little piece of lead flying by is enough for the robin ,and he's outta there, these tiny little birds are pretty nervy.   word is out  hey guys theres seeds again in that dummies yard. :mad: hopefully some seed will sprout and then i'll throw some more down, that is if they don't eat every last seed...................................

Too funny!

Had a brother-in-law, who had notches on his mole killing shovel.  He would put down his chair near a mole hill.  Then he’d light up a smoke, open a beer, and sit patiently with his shovel ready.  When he saw the dirt move on top the mound, he quickly sank his shovel, and flipped over the mound.  After that, killing said mole took only one hard what with the spade.  I doubt the mole even saw it coming!  :lol:  

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Too funny!

Had a brother-in-law, who had notches on his mole killing shovel.  He would put down his chair near a mole hill.  Then he’d light up a smoke, open a beer, and sit patiently with his shovel ready.  When he saw the dirt move on top the mound, he quickly sank his shovel, and flipped over the mound.  After that, killing said mole took only one hard what with the spade.  I doubt the mole even saw it coming!  :lol:  

leonards cruising the hood with a mouth full of feathers .theres a couple of dead little birdies laying in my back yard ,which I'm not going to clean up , with the hopes it freaks out the other birds which it doesn't seem to ,they don't care , and there not scared of me or lenny , seeds man that's what life is all about.....the cat in the pic isn't leonard ,but he is doing leonard things.

14vkdl.jpg

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, chon derry said:

leonards cruising the hood with a mouth full of feathers .theres a couple of dead little birdies laying in my back yard ,which I'm not going to clean up , with the hopes it freaks out the other birds which it doesn't seem to ,they don't care , and there not scared of me or lenny , seeds man that's what life is all about.....the cat in the pic isn't leonard ,but he is doing leonard things.

14vkdl.jpg

Keep yer damn cat outta my garden!

I agree it's annoying to watch the birds peck away at your grass seeds, but they're just birds and you're throwing their food everywhere. What do you expect?

7 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Keep yer damn cat outta my garden!

I agree it's annoying to watch the birds peck away at your grass seeds, but they're just birds and you're throwing their food everywhere. What do you expect?

its an annual thing , ive made the mistake of doing the front ,side and back but now I do the 3 sections alternately ,the front and the back . and then  the following yr, the side .  battling moss up here is a losing battle 

12 hours ago, luckylager said:

This heat's been real gud.

Things are growing, thinned the lettuces, they filled a shopping bag. 

Gonna be picking peas by next week.

Tomatoes are in the ground now.

Peppers are almost ready for planting.

Other stuff growing like weed

When's lunch!?

• Cheers 1
On 2018-05-15 at 7:34 PM, luckylager said:

IMG_2568.GIF

• Cheers 1

On 5/15/2018 at 8:34 PM, luckylager said:

whoa, peas out here aren't ready until like mid july. My parents plant almost everything around May 20, but keep the tomatoes and peppers back until risk of frost is 99% gone, normally around end of May.

I currently have a few flower planters and one with chives and rosemary.

don't have space for much else. :/

• Cheers 1
9 minutes ago, otherwise said:

whoa, peas out here aren't ready until like mid july. My parents plant almost everything around May 20, but keep the tomatoes and peppers back until risk of frost is 99% gone, normally around end of May.

I currently have a few flower planters and one with chives and rosemary.

don't have space for much else. :/

I actually picked my first peas yesterday. Got a pint of baby sugarsnaps, they were awesome!

April was colder than usual but I use a couple of row tunnels to give my greens, carrots and peas a head start.

I have a small greenhouse which produces greens and carrots through the winter, also use it for my tomato and pepper starts once I move them from their trays.

They're started in my mudroom by mid March at the lastest. Big southfacing windows in the mudroom.

Victoria has a very easy climate