The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hockey News Draft preview

I picked up the NHL Draft preview book and Bouchard is #7, Hughes #6  or Dobson #9..

I would be happy with Bouchard. He took the OHL by storm this season, he has elite hockey sense, elite passer, great shot, quarter back power play, 60 foot stretch passes. Better passer then any other player in draft and he has size, skating average..

Among OHL player, Svechnokov to go straight to the NHL next season, by scouts...

1. Dahlin 2. Svechnikov 3.Tkachuk 4. Zadina 5. Boqvist 6. Hughes 7. Bouchard 8. Wahlstrom 9. Dobson 10. Smith

11.Veleno 12. Hayton 13. Farbree 14.Lundesstrom 15 Wilde..

Great articles should be on new stands in B.C by now....

2 hours ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

Gonna have to go looking for it tomorrow. Not big on THN as whole but I like having their draft preview issue on hand during draft day, its a nice reference tool. Ranking Tkachuk over Zadina is strange though.

I highly doubt Zadina gets taken after Tkachuk. I would be surprised. I've seen mock drafts where Tkachuk falls as far as 7-8. But, who knows... It is Montreal.

Another note - Montreal has already expressed interest in drafting Zadina.

10 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Bouchard and Dobson are my choices.  Surprised to see Tkachuk over Zadina, who reminds me of Boeser.  Guy oozes character too.

Trusting JB to get us something good.

This draft more than any other recently I'm pretty non-committal on who I want.  I prefer more 'rounded' defensemen like Bouchard and Dobson but really like the upside of Hughes and Boqvist.... at the end of the day, after pulling Petterson last year I'll be very excited for whoever we draft (with the exception of Tkachuk... it'll take me a while to get excited there :lol:).  

i like how they compare there style of game to nhl'ers.

dahlin...hedman

boqvist...ellis

hughes...letang

bouchard...pietrangelo

dobson...werenski

smith... hamhuis

wilde... carlo

sandin...rielly

woo...vlasic

glad i got my copy today. 

On draft day, we can't go wrong with any of our options, they are all very good prospects.  Obviously there will be a few of them that don't live up to their potential, possibly even bust, but they all fill a need for us as of now.

Bouchard& Dobson:  Play solid all around games, and will contribute points from the back end

Hughes & Boqvist:  Dynamic offensive D, players that we have not had an abundance of over the years

Wahlstrom: Another potentially elite scorer to go along with Brock and EP.  We need D, but we also need scoring

Tkatchuk: Big bodied power forward, provides some grit an toughness in the top 6.

I am torn, and don;t have anyone that I really don't want in this range, as they all fill a need and any one of them could turn out to be the best of the bunch.  I lean toward Boqvist, Hughes, or Wahlstrom, as I am hoping that the next core will play an uptempo, aggressive offensive game.

9 hours ago, Jaku said:

I highly doubt Zadina gets taken after Tkachuk. I would be surprised. I've seen mock drafts where Tkachuk falls as far as 7-8. But, who knows... It is Montreal.

Another note - Montreal has already expressed interest in drafting Zadina.

I think you are correct, I can't see Montreal passing on Zadina. 

I am still of the opinion that Bouchard would be our best bet. There may be others available at that time that could have better careers, but I like the surety of Bouchard. Getting picked as one of the two D for the OHL 1st team is a really nice honor to have; getting Bouchard would give us two off of those selected (DiPietro!).

But first, of course, he has to be there for us to pick him. If he's not, then...Dobson or Hughes would be my choice. I think the others will be gone by then.

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

And Kotkaniemi could go three to the Habs, which really throws a wrench into what happens.

I don't think they would take Kotkaniemi at the third spot. Too far of a reach. If anything, if they don't go with Zadina they'll take the best defenseman available. Possibly Quinn Hughes. If they really wanted Kotkaniemi they should trade down.

1 hour ago, Blömqvist said:

I don't think they would take Kotkaniemi at the third spot. Too far of a reach. If anything, if they don't go with Zadina they'll take the best defenseman available. Possibly Quinn Hughes. If they really wanted Kotkaniemi they should trade down.

What if no team is willing to trade up, considering just how flat this top 10 is, after Dahlin?

6 hours ago, smithers joe said:

i like how they compare there style of game to nhl'ers.

dahlin...hedman

boqvist...ellis

hughes...letang

bouchard...pietrangelo

dobson...werenski

smith... hamhuis

wilde... carlo

sandin...rielly

woo...vlasic

glad i got my copy today. 

Those comparisons seem a touch off to me. If anything, Dobson, who is sublime defensively, competent in the offensive end, can join the rush & has a big shot reminds of Pietro! Pietrangelo, who seeded top PP guy to Shattenkirk while he was in St Louis, is just good, not fantastic at the point. 

Shattenkirk, who is magic with the puck, a lights out offensive player, not great at using his size defensively seems a pretty good stylistic comparison for Bouchard?  

33 minutes ago, Alflives said:

What if no team is willing to trade up, considering just how flat this top 10 is, after Dahlin?

Then you take a 70 to 80 point, 40 goal top line winger!

Instead of a 2knd line centre who is a good player, just not the same match up problem.

4 hours ago, Father Ryan said:

I like the surety of Bouchard. Getting picked as one of the two D for the OHL 1st team is a really nice honor to have

Hodgson was voted the OHL's best defensive forward.  

It does not mean his skills & athleticism were going to translate into being a great defensive forward in the NHL.  Power, speed, balance, agility, coordination, puck dexterity, vision, shot...

5 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Then you take a 70 to 80 point, 40 goal top line winger!

Instead of a 2knd line centre who is a good player, just not the same match up problem.

I can see the Habs doing something strange.  Taking PLD over the big time winger sure worked out for Columbus.  

24 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I can see the Habs doing something strange.  Taking PLD over the big time winger sure worked out for Columbus.  

Dubois was the 4th overall rated prospect. And there were good reasons for it.

Kotkaniemi is not. 

Archived