The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) All in this Draft

3 hours ago, vannuck59 said:

Okay I think this draft is going to be the best draft since 2003

Saying that I think JB should be all in.

Trade #1,  To the Islanders - Gudbranson, Baertschi, Markstrom

To Van.- First rounder # 11 pick

Trade  #2,  To the Rangers - Tanev, Grandland

To Van. First rounder # 9 pick

Trade # 3,   To Detroit - Gaudette

To Van - First rounder # 6 pick

Trade # 4     To Edmonton - Sutter, Goldobin, Brisebois, retain 2 mil on Sutter

To Van - Russell, First rounder  # 10 pick

Trade # 5    To Montreal - Hutton, Pouliot Vans 2019 3rd pick 

To Van. - Canadians 2nd pick # 35, 3rd pick # 66

Trade # 6     To Buffalo - Russell, retain 1 mil cap , Vans 3rd 2018 and Vans. 2019 2nd pick

To Van. - Buffalo's  2nd round pick # 32

Sigh free agents -C. Folin - 3.5 mil x 3, G. Pateryn - 3.5 x 2, J. Moore - 4 mil x 3, Reilly Nash - 3.5 mil x 2, J Beagle - 3.5 x 2

Sign RAs    - Bouchard 1.5 mil x 2, Labate 1 mil x 2, Archabald 1 mil x 2, Chaput, Stecher 3 mil x 2, Virtanen 2.5 mil x 2

Draft -  First Round -  Kotkaniemi , Tkachuk, Bouchard, Veleno, Dobson, in no order

Second Round - McBain, Samuelsson, Skarec ( goalie )

After that, best player with the rest of the draft picks.

Retool rebuild or what ever done.

First year fill in with free agents until the kids are ready short term deals .

You need to drink alcohol, lots and lots of alcohol.  :frantic:

C'mon people, it is just ideas, good, bad or ugly the trade ideas BUT the overall concept of going all in this draft is not without merit.

Vancouver has a couple of advantages this year, one is time, this market is not or should not be expecting a playoff run next year or maybe even the year after whereas there around 20 teams expected to be much better.

This coming season there is a disproportional number of teams needing to re-tool and teams that need to make the playoffs, add to help go over the hump or at least show marked improvement for their fan base.

This is a deep draft and even if the team gets decimated getting draft picks, next year will also benefit from a very, very young team that would struggle. Off hand would more fans show up to see Dahlin?

What I would suggest is a list of teams that MIGHT be desperate enough to deal their #1 and MAYBE why. Whatever it is just entertainment and fantasy stuff.

Buffalo - Many players have come out about being tired of losing, this is a really big deal, they can't wait for a pick to develop, even Dahlin will need a year or two to adjust. Boeser?

Carolina - A new owner that has stated guaranteed improvement, his own hand picked GM, they were close but have needs in several areas but they are a hard sell.

Montreal - They haven't missed the playoffs two years in a row since 1999, they have Price starting his 10 mil deal, An aging Weber at huge money, the fan base, even worse than Vancouver meaning big pressure to get players, not prospects.

Ottawa - Need cap relief, money and improvement for Karlsson, defence and goaltending, they could go the blow it up route too though although their owner is not financially sound and has stated guaranteed improvement so salary relief may be a big buyer here.

Detroit - Hmmm, what are they going to do? Even though it has been indicated that they will move the pick for players, they might just decide to go into a rebuild for a couple of years.

Arizona -  Are loaded with prospects already, they need support players and to show improvement big time, they finished ahead of Vancouver 2 of the last 3 years, they have oodles of cap space but again have lost huge money over the last 3 years and another owner is unhappy. Retaining salary might be a method of enticement.

Chicago - Kane, Toews, Seabrooke, Keith and Crawford, all getting big money, most with a lot of term yet, all getting older and they have cap issues, they could use complimentary players, experienced journeymen at low cost. Guys like Granlund and Sven or others as well as a possible veteran trade, maybe something like a Gudbranson for Seabrooke deal throwing in Hutton with salary retention and a prospect, some type of deal. They will not go rebuild with those guys still around. Fast re-tool.

NYR - Another hmmm, they could go any direction, they have a boat load of picks this draft and their team is filled with guys entering their prime, loads of cap space and money isn't a problem. They could deal for specific pieces. They are very well set up to re-tool and sign some big name FA's or do big trades, which they have done in the past although their is a new sheriff in town there. A difficult team to deal with and competitor with the Nucks for the same trades offers. With 3 picks in the first round they might move theirs. Again, maybe Tanev or Edler.

Edmonton - The window is open, they need a player to keep up with McD that can hit at low cost, they have other needs as well on defence, they need a defensive dman so Larsson can be more offensive minded, they need cost certainty. A combination trade might be a possibility for their pick and a prospect/player. I keep on the Puljujarvi idea, they will not be able to afford him in 2 years. Virtanen fits with McD.

NYI - Taveras, that's all that really needs to be stated. Lou trades firsts for goalies, NYI has 2 firsts. Demko?

okay wasted enough time on this subject, and this is just for fun. But the team could move Boeser, Tanev, Virtanen, OJ, Gudbranson with a little massaging, Sven, Granlund, Stecher, now all at once would be really blowing it up, but they could do a deal or two for another first, IMO I like the idea of getting the #1 overall and I think it could be done, expensive but I think the Nucks have the right pieces without giving up their own #1.

1 minute ago, rawkdrummer said:

throw some crap at the wall and maybe something will stick?

Yep, listened to that Hanfin stuff ad nauseam. That is all any of this forum talk is for the most part, although I have it from media sources some of this stuff is read and concepts used for "shows", even NHL folks will look to see how things are trending.

You can not build a team thru the draft in 1 or 2 years time, because that would put you into cap hell, quickly.  You have to be gradual, so that you have the flexibility to either sign or trade those who are coming up or ageing out.  You want to have a cycle, not a bright fire and burn out.  SO!  You want to have 2 or 3 coming up from each draft year, and that doesn't mean you need 2 or 3 superstars.  I think you want to try and if you're lucky, you could possibly get that many gems per draft, but I think it works out that you can get a star once every 3 years, and a superstar every 5.  In a normal draft cycle with good drafting, luck, and not having to sit at the bottom of the league.

38 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Yep, listened to that Hanfin stuff ad nauseam. That is all any of this forum talk is for the most part, although I have it from media sources some of this stuff is read and concepts used for "shows", even NHL folks will look to see how things are trending.

I get it. Come up with creative ideas.

But come on, a rebuilding team like the Canucks, IN NO WAY, should even consider trading Boeser (or Olli to a lesser extent). In Boeser's rookie year he did everything possible other than almost breaking his back. You do not trade elite goal scorers and that is what we have in Boeser. There is no possible way to pretend it is a good idea.

The other thing is, no matter how one tries to justify it, Buffalo would never never never trade Dahlin.....NEVER.

Some of the other ideas though...sure.

58 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

I get it. Come up with creative ideas.

But come on, a rebuilding team like the Canucks, IN NO WAY, should even consider trading Boeser (or Olli to a lesser extent). In Boeser's rookie year he did everything possible other than almost breaking his back. You do not trade elite goal scorers and that is what we have in Boeser. There is no possible way to pretend it is a good idea.

The other thing is, no matter how one tries to justify it, Buffalo would never never never trade Dahlin.....NEVER.

Some of the other ideas though...sure.

Everyone is tradeable...to a degree.  I'd like to think with consistent good drafting and development, we'd always have a replacement coming along behind, or at least be able to score by committee allowing for the flexibility to 'think' about trading someone like Boesser.   But this isn't saying I'd trade Boesser, but I would always listen to the offer and would be willing to change my mind...

49 minutes ago, Solinar said:

Everyone is tradeable...to a degree.  I'd like to think with consistent good drafting and development, we'd always have a replacement coming along behind, or at least be able to score by committee allowing for the flexibility to 'think' about trading someone like Boesser.   But this isn't saying I'd trade Boesser, but I would always listen to the offer and would be willing to change my mind...

I agree that everyone is trade able assuming silly over-payments are offered if a team has depth in a position.

Right now I think that Boeser would never be traded barring some silly unrealistic over payment. The Canucks have trouble scoring and other than Boeser, they are very thin depth wise in that department. GMs should listen to offers but realistically Boeser will not be traded (any time soon).

2 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

I agree that everyone is trade able assuming silly over-payments are offered if a team has depth in a position.

Right now I think that Boeser would never be traded barring some silly unrealistic over payment. The Canucks have trouble scoring and other than Boeser, they are very thin depth wise in that department. GMs should listen to offers but realistically Boeser will not be traded (any time soon).

Indeed, but we've seen for years what happens when you have a bright shining light, but no supporting cast...  I just hope that we manage to stay the course, and draft wisely for the next few years.  And get a little lucky....which is...Un Canucklike.

Okay, so I don't want to get rid of Boeser, OJ, Gaudette or Virtanen etc............that is the start of our new core

But I question anyone who says we can't draft 13 guys in one year..................or anything like that

Let is just say, all 13 players drafted turn out and give us NHL players............OMG..........what a terrible thing

So basically, Phili should have stopped drafting Dmen, because they have too many

I guess Nashville was doomed once they had too many Dmen?

Remember guys, this is fantasy and maybe not all the suggestions are not great, but there could be the basis of a trade in there

Grab one and let's work with it.........now admittedly I have to go back and look at them again, but just dumping on a guy, is not very encouraging

and just for the record, Guardian was on to something there, and had my attention, until he started suggesting moving the young ones

But the idea, of starting a list of teams and what they need isn't a bad one......

Cheers........remember it all equals out! Be happy! 

lol, if we're doing pure fantasy, Tampa cap dumps Hedman, Stamkos and Kucherov to us for Edler!  And a pick to be named later >: )

For right now, I'm only going to say our only cornerstones at the moment would be Pettersson, Juolevi, Demko, Boesser, and Horvat.  Everyone else should be considered.  Maybe not actively shopped, but would listen to offers, and would try to find upgrades.

Intriguing prospects that are in the system that I would hang onto....Gaudette, Chatfield, Brisebois, Lind, Gadjovich, and Dahlen.  And if I could get Noah Hanifin for a combination of one of those guys, an active player on the roster, and a pick in the 2nd round, I'd leap on it.

7 hours ago, vannuck59 said:

Okay, let's see what we can do with these

Well, not bad as a starting point on #1

Possible trade....they need wingers and a defensive center, and veteran leadership

Best of the bunch........needs a minor tweak or 2

So....my version of these trades

#1............To the Islanders - Baertschi + MDZ 50% 

To Van.................2018 42nd + 2018 43rd

#4............To the Oilers.........Sutter 50% + Goldobin + MDZ 50%

To Van..................2018 10th OA

#5.............To Montreal.......... Granlund + Hutton + 2019 4th

To Van...................35th OA + 66th OA

Now, I don't think everyone is going to do cart wheels over my suggestions...........but is there one of the 3 you like?

Would you make minor tweaks to it, what are your arguments against them

The point is just like the Canucks Draft Video, a discussion is started, and if people just say nothing, then nothing is gained

Even here on CDC it should be a negotiation, and a tweak here and a tweak there, and yeah I can get behind that move

Our up votes should be used for approval in principal, and as I have experienced, a no comment will kill a thread quick enough

My point is....we are all Canuck fans....let's work together more and enjoy it

Those with experience and large up vote should comment progressively to teach ion some ways

We should be a collective in large part

I know, I have more questions than answers, and don't mind constructive criticism, but really appreciate when CDC answers

with a solution 

Please feel free to tweak mine or disagree constructively

Cheers

Please remind me of my words when I fall from grace......thanks

44 minutes ago, Solinar said:

lol, if we're doing pure fantasy, Tampa cap dumps Hedman, Stamkos and Kucherov to us for Edler!  And a pick to be named later >: )

For right now, I'm only going to say our only cornerstones at the moment would be Pettersson, Juolevi, Demko, Boesser, and Horvat.  Everyone else should be considered.  Maybe not actively shopped, but would listen to offers, and would try to find upgrades.

Intriguing prospects that are in the system that I would hang onto....Gaudette, Chatfield, Brisebois, Lind, Gadjovich, and Dahlen.  And if I could get Noah Hanifin for a combination of one of those guys, an active player on the roster, and a pick in the 2nd round, I'd leap on it.

LOL..........your first line made me laugh..............not quite that much fantasy.......lol

Bang on,  on your second point.....did you forget Virtanen?......I would trade him, but he is high on my keeper list.......I would want a lot

I also love Gaudette and think he could be a Kesler lite.............without the wife stuff...........I would keep him

But again that is just me!

This management will be looking for ways to prop this team up, not gut it. It wasn't in their DNA four years ago so I can't see it happening now. 

I will be happy if we use the picks we have. It would be good if they could land another second or a third. Some lower level deals .

Players that could be moved. If the return was solid.

Tanev

Guddy

Sutter

Baer 

Granlund

One of our goal tenders.

LE ( we can dream):rolleyes:

Any of these players would need to see a high pick or nhl ready prospects in return. I am all for tanking at the end of a season but we don't want to see this club stripped down to the point where it will take 10 years to recover. I think we are two or three high end talents away from being competitive. 

Some of these could already be in our system. 

12 hours ago, vannuck59 said:

Okay I think this draft is going to be the best draft since 2003

Saying that I think JB should be all in.

Trade  #2,  To the Rangers - Tanev, Grandland

To Van. First rounder # 9 pick

Trade # 3,   To Detroit - Gaudette

To Van - First rounder # 6 pick

Trade # 6     To Buffalo - Russell, retain 1 mil cap , Vans 3rd 2018 and Vans. 2019 2nd pick

To Van. - Buffalo's  2nd round pick # 32

Sigh free agents -C. Folin - 3.5 mil x 3, G. Pateryn - 3.5 x 2, J. Moore - 4 mil x 3, Reilly Nash - 3.5 mil x 2, J Beagle - 3.5 x 2

Sign RAs    - Bouchard 1.5 mil x 2, Labate 1 mil x 2, Archabald 1 mil x 2, Chaput, Stecher 3 mil x 2, Virtanen 2.5 mil x 2

Draft -  First Round -  Kotkaniemi , Tkachuk, Bouchard, Veleno, Dobson, in no order

Second Round - McBain, Samuelsson, Skarec ( goalie )

After that, best player with the rest of the draft picks.

Retool rebuild or what ever done.

First year fill in with free agents until the kids are ready short term deals .

This is EA NHL hockey trading..lol..lol Can only laugh....

Never will ever happen, teams are lucky to make 3-4 trades...

NEVER HAPPEN....

1 minute ago, wildcam said:

This is EA NHL hockey trading..lol..lol Can only laugh....

Never will ever happen, teams are lucky to make 3-4 trades...

NEVER HAPPEN....

lol lol lol REALLY Van trades 11 players and draft picks..lol 

most teams lucky to trade 3-5 players.......OMG lol lol

Archived