The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vancouver out despite being awarded a 2026 World Cup host spot

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

No we haven't.  Still almost 9 years away.  The matches have yet to be drawn as have the venues.  Crying for the sake of crying is shortsighted and silly.

An opportunity missed?  Hardly.  

So you'd define this as an opportunity? huh?

We've been eliminated from the city list, and you think we'll get back on because???. C'mon Hip, at least call it what it is. Its  If your take is we should have passed on it thats your right, but the reality is its an event we aren't part of anymore. 

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

So you'd define this as an opportunity? huh?

We've been eliminated from the city list, and you think we'll get back on because???. C'mon Hip, at least call it what it is. Its  If your take is we should have passed on it thats your right, but the reality is its an event we aren't part of anymore. 

No I wouldn't define it as an opprtunity.  I am using your words.

If we wanted to classify it as a true opportunity.  They should have hosted a game or three in Kelowna.  everyone knows where Vancouver is.  Kelowna and the Okanagan though, the entire province would have benefited from matches being played there.  

If anything it's a shame Kelowna and the Okanagan region didn't get games.

As for eliminated.  You're sounding a shade fatalistic there.  Chicago and Minni are already slated to be included in the program and they didn't put a dime in.  We're almost 9 years away and nothing is written at all yet.

So do all three countries as hosts qualify for the World Cup being that all nations are from puny CONCACAF? Do the other teams in the CONCACAF group have to qualify, fill me in?

The NDP got this right by not signing on with the FIFA gangsters.

Just now, Warhippy said:

If we wanted to classify it as a true opportunity.  They should have hosted a game or three in Kelowna.  everyone knows where Vancouver is.  Kelowna and the Okanagan though, the entire province would have benefited from matches being played there.  

As for eliminated.  You're sounding a shade fatalistic there.  Chicago and Minni are already slated to be included in the program and they didn't put a dime in.  We're almost 9 years away and nothing is written at all yet.

That would be great if Kelowna got and opportunity for hosting a game. Lets hope that somehow down the line that actually happens. 

17 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

and.... so we get nothing. Its too easy to get carried away with the risk side of these things, we did just fine with similar agreements with the IOC, and all the other cities were just fine with it. We're the outlier. 

Not exactly. Chicago and Minneapolis told them to go pound sand as well....

19 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Where would they have hosted it in Kelowna? An empty field below a hill? 

50 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

meh, I live in Vancouver and tax dollars from here go to support things in the interior. Thats not a great argument. 

Its a missed opportunity for global attention.

How did the global attention from the Olympics help the people of BC in the last decade?

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

How did the global attention from the Olympics help the people of BC in the last decade?

Well the entire north eastern end of the province was completely ignored and essentially went to work in Alberta all the while hearing LNG LNG LNG

Just now, Warhippy said:

Well the entire north eastern end of the province was completely ignored and essentially went to work in Alberta all the while hearing LNG LNG LNG

And hard-working British Columbians were priced right out of their province when it came to buying a home. 

Sometimes attention ain't all it's cracked up to be. 

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

Why they'd have built up Sun field.  

Think of the opportunity

Or there is that building that was just upgraded, I think it cost about 500 million to do. Might be a good place to hold a large sporting event.

4 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The Olympics cost billions of dollars, required a large amount of buildings to be built. This would not have been the case with the World Cup. 

10 minutes ago, Bizarre said:

Or there is that building that was just upgraded, I think it cost about 500 million to do. Might be a good place to hold a large sporting event.

Oh you mean that one that cost almost $600 million for a new roof a giant videotron that had weather issues in it's first 18 months?

Or...Kelowna forcing teams/travellers to actually enjoy the entire province.

But since Kelowna bid as much as Vancouver and got the same return it's a moot point

"missed opportunity"

4 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Tell that to Brazil, Qatar....

Yes, those are completely similar circumstances. I don't condone building venue after venue in obscure locations just to host the games. If you want a more realistic situation look at places like Germany that already had the stadiums in place.

4 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Oh you mean that one that cost almost $600 million for a new roof a giant videotron that had weather issues in it's first 18 months?

Or...Kelowna forcing teams/travellers to actually enjoy the entire province.

But since Kelowna bid as much as Vancouver and got the same return it's a moot point

Not arguing that, but the tax payers own BC place. We paid for those upgrades, we should try and fill the venue.

What would you do with a stadium in Kelowna after those few games?

Just listened to TSN1040.... one of the host in the afternoon show sent an email to the Department of Tourism for BC asking if the have done a cost-benefit analysis and if it could be shared.  So far the only response is "We'll get back to you".

If the whole project has an overall deficit, then I can completely understand the refusal of the NDP.  If they a CBA was not done, then the NDP is doing a complete disservice to the province and all tax payers.  

9 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

Just listened to TSN1040.... one of the host in the afternoon show sent an email to the Department of Tourism for BC asking if the have done a cost-benefit analysis and if it could be shared.  So far the only response is "We'll get back to you".

If the whole project has an overall deficit, then I can completely understand the refusal of the NDP.  If they a CBA was not done, then the NDP is doing a complete disservice to the province and all tax payers.  

They'll just throw "blank cheque" out there a few times. Claim they have no idea how to calculate the cost.

Archived