The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vancouver out despite being awarded a 2026 World Cup host spot

23 minutes ago, Bizarre said:

Not arguing that, but the tax payers own BC place. We paid for those upgrades, we should try and fill the venue.

What would you do with a stadium in Kelowna after those few games?

Roughly the same as we do an olympic skating oval 

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Roughly the same as we do an olympic skating oval 

Not really sure what your point is by this post. I guess you're in favour of the Olympic Oval and how it's been utilized since the Olympics left.

51 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

How did the global attention from the Olympics help the people of BC in the last decade?

it helped us a lot. Sea to Sky upgrade, tons of new sports facilities, Olympic Village, huge tourism boost. 

39 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

Just listened to TSN1040.... one of the host in the afternoon show sent an email to the Department of Tourism for BC asking if the have done a cost-benefit analysis and if it could be shared.  So far the only response is "We'll get back to you".

If the whole project has an overall deficit, then I can completely understand the refusal of the NDP.  If they a CBA was not done, then the NDP is doing a complete disservice to the province and all tax payers.  

28 minutes ago, Bizarre said:

They'll just throw "blank cheque" out there a few times. Claim they have no idea how to calculate the cost.

So  if the costs aren't fixed, how do you do the "cost" part of the analysis? 

11 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Now you're simply being obstinate 

No you're going way off topic. This isn't a thread about the Olympics and you can't even compare the two events requirements/impacts  when it comes to Vancouver/BC.

Would BC place need a few upgrades? Of course but they would be minimal. You're really stretching to reference the issues/financial impact with Brazil/Qatar holding the WC to BC hosting a few games.

2 minutes ago, Bizarre said:

No you're going way off topic. This isn't a thread about the Olympics and you can't even compare the two events requirements/impacts  when it comes to Vancouver/BC.

Would BC place need a few upgrades? Of course but they would be minimal. You're really stretching to reference the issues/financial impact with Brazil/Qatar holding the WC to BC hosting a few games.

Actually my statement is VERY pointed and makes a ton of sense for the crowd claiming BC missed out on an opportunity.

Pushing games to the interior showcases the tire province.  Spreads the wealth around.  People would have to come to Vancouver then travel the province.  That spreads the wealth around.  Kelowna a growing city would benefit from a world class stadium.  

Now as for Qatar and Brazil.  Literally building soccer stadiums in the desert?  Building stadiums in the favelas that are now sitting empty.  Much like a much unused skating rink.

You ask what would Kelowna do AFTER the games had been played with said stadium, obviously find uses for it.  The same way Richmond did a skating oval.  the same way Beijing did a swimming cube.

If you're going to make statements I am going to make immediate counter points to them that enforce the position you are making but only in another part of the province, if you're going to ask what about I am going to use historical basis to provide weight.

You don't get to pick and choose what is or is not an essential part of an argument when speaking of the same sporting event to justify your argument

I understand the position of the NDP as FIFA doesn't necessarily have the best track record. But Vancouver has the venue and has the experience hosting these events in recent years - there is no new infrastructure needed. FIFA Women's World Cup and the Olympics have been here within the last decade. The 'blank cheque' thing does have to have something behind it because other cities that could have easily accommodated hosting an event such as Chicago and Minny also backed out. But as a taxpayer I would have liked more information. Like a previous poster had said "we paid for the venue so why not try to fill it" - we should also have a say in what does fill it. There would have been an economic boost to surrounding businesses and tourism in the area.

I personally would have and still do want some games in BC Place. The olympics provided me with some lifelong memories. That being said I could also see Vancouver getting shafted into hosting a couple of round robin games between Canada and another low-prestige team with no knockout stage action. I would want a guarantee of knockout round game(s) but obviously FIFA wouldn't agree to that I am sure.

I guess I will be heading to Seattle and/or Edmonton.

10 minutes ago, gurn said:

Minimal? What would the cost be?

The previous cost of upgrades were $586 million in total.  

Soldier Field in Chicago holds 67,000 and was built for $700 million for reference.  As a renovated stadium that is

Where as centurylink was built for a total of $430 million and seats 70,000+

7 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

I understand the position of the NDP as FIFA doesn't necessarily have the best track record. But Vancouver has the venue and has the experience hosting these events in recent years - there is no new infrastructure needed. FIFA Women's World Cup and the Olympics have been here within the last decade. The 'blank cheque' thing does have to have something behind it because other cities that could have easily accommodated hosting an event such as Chicago and Minny also backed out. But as a taxpayer I would have liked more information. Like a previous poster had said "we paid for the venue so why not try to fill it" - we should also have a say in what does fill it. There would have been an economic boost to surrounding businesses and tourism in the area.

I personally would have and still do want some games in BC Place. The olympics provided me with some lifelong memories. That being said I could also see Vancouver getting shafted into hosting a couple of round robin games between Canada and another low-prestige team with no knockout stage action. I would want a guarantee of knockout round game(s) but obviously FIFA wouldn't agree to that I am sure.

I guess I will be heading to Seattle and/or Edmonton.

I dare say, yet again.  As these events are almost 9 years away right now.  With the host nations already stating that they want some more of the 60+ games slated to be in the US  to be held in Mexico and Canada (essentially the hope being a 25, 25, 50 split) Vancouver is FAR from out of the running.

people are making absolute statements and it is silly as Minneapolis and Chicago are already in talks to host games while contributing nothing to the hosting bid much like Vancouver was.

Claiming it won't happen this early is silly and people just need to complain it seems

18 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

The previous cost of upgrades were $586 million in total.  

Soldier Field in Chicago holds 67,000 and was built for $700 million for reference.  As a renovated stadium that is

Where as centurylink was built for a total of $430 million and seats 70,000+

I would assume those figures for the american venues are USD whereas the BC place upgrade is CAD? In addition, tearing down BC place to start anew would have been an even more expensive venture. I think the 'reno' was a good move - it looks good and the option for indoor/outdoor games is nice.

16 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I dare say, yet again.  As these events are almost 9 years away right now.  With the host nations already stating that they want some more of the 60+ games slated to be in the US  to be held in Mexico and Canada (essentially the hope being a 25, 25, 50 split) Vancouver is FAR from out of the running.

people are making absolute statements and it is silly as Minneapolis and Chicago are already in talks to host games while contributing nothing to the hosting bid much like Vancouver was.

Claiming it won't happen this early is silly and people just need to complain it seems

You're right - it is impossible to say that we are out for good as anything can happen in 9 years BUT as it stands we aren't in. So at this point I will have to go to Seattle or Edmonton to see a game - which I will make an effort to do as the FIFA WC is on my bucket list. I wouldn't say a lot of people are complaining but rather just expressing disappointment as many people, myself included, would love to attend such an event in Vancouver.

41 minutes ago, gurn said:

So  if the costs aren't fixed, how do you do the "cost" part of the analysis? 

It's not easy, but there are things you can do to try and get an idea. Doing cost analysis is required on any project. Research and study similar events that happened in cities/countries with similar circumstances. 

I don't trust that they would get it right, and it's not easy to do but at least putting some effort into it would have been nice.

9 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Page 3 and no one has posted the John Oliver FIFA clip?

His quote at the end of his first FIFA video sums up my feelings perfectly:

By this point, I hope I've proven to you that FIFA is just appalling. And yet, here's their power: I'm still so exicted about the World Cup next week. 

In unrelated World Cup news...........

Russian lawmaker warns against sex with foreigners during World Cup: 'If it's another race, it's worse'

The World Cup being hosted by Russia is fraught with controversy of all kinds.

One Russian lawmaker figured adding a little more on top on the eve of the action wouldn’t hurt.

Russian lawmaker says no to sex with World cup visitors

Tamara Pletnyova, head of the lower house of parliament’s Family, Women and Children Committee, warned Russians against having sex with foreign visitors during a radio appearance on Wednesday. More specifically, she warned Russian woman against getting pregnant by visitors, hearkening back to the 1980 Moscow Olympics. 

“There will be girls who meet men, and then they will give birth,” Pletnyova said via translation. “Maybe they will get married, maybe they won’t. But the kids will suffer, just like they suffered [after the Moscow Olympics].”

“It’s the children who suffer and have suffered since the Soviet era.” 

If you do have sex, don’t mix races

But Pletnyova wasn’t done with simply advising residents against trysts with visitors and the perils of being a single mother or a child born out of wedlock.

She clarified that if you’re going to have sex with a foreigner, just make sure that partner is white.

“If it’s another race, then it’s even worse,” Pletnyova said. “We should give birth to our own children.”

“I’m not a nationalist, but nonetheless,” she added. 

OK.

Russia has history of racism in soccer venues

This is not the first first incident intertwining racism and soccer in Russia.

FIFA fined the Russian Football Union $30,000 for fans directing racist monkey chants at French players during a pre-World Cup friendly in May.

Danny Rose, a black English soccer player, told the UK’s Evening Standard that he told his family to stay home during the World Cup out of concerns of racism.

“I’m not worried for myself,” Rose told Standard Sport. “But I’ve told my family I don’t want them going out there because of racism and anything else that may ­happen. I don’t want to be worrying when I’m trying to prepare for games for my family’s safety.

“My dad’s really upset. I could hear it in his voice. He said he may never get a chance again to come and watch me in a World Cup. That was emotional, hearing that. It’s really sad. It’s just how it is. Somehow Russia got the World Cup and we have to get on with it.”

European anti-racism watchdog FARE warned World Cup visitors on Tuesday to take precautions in a “difficult environment” amid repeated reports of racist behavior in Russian stadiums.

Russia has pledged to crack down on racism during the run-up to the World Cup.

Pletnyova apparently didn’t get that memo. 

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/russian-lawmaker-warns-sex-foreigners-world-cup-another-race-worse-000304087.html

:lol:

37 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Actually my statement is VERY pointed and makes a ton of sense for the crowd claiming BC missed out on an opportunity.

Pushing games to the interior showcases the tire province.  Spreads the wealth around.  People would have to come to Vancouver then travel the province.  That spreads the wealth around.  Kelowna a growing city would benefit from a world class stadium.  

Now as for Qatar and Brazil.  Literally building soccer stadiums in the desert?  Building stadiums in the favelas that are now sitting empty.  Much like a much unused skating rink.

You ask what would Kelowna do AFTER the games had been played with said stadium, obviously find uses for it.  The same way Richmond did a skating oval.  the same way Beijing did a swimming cube.

If you're going to make statements I am going to make immediate counter points to them that enforce the position you are making but only in another part of the province, if you're going to ask what about I am going to use historical basis to provide weight.

You don't get to pick and choose what is or is not an essential part of an argument when speaking of the same sporting event to justify your argument

Having people come into Vancouver is good for the whole province. The government could do targeted advertising in the lead up as well  during the event to try and entice tourists to visit other the parts of the province. Perhaps on a future trip.

Personally I would love to see Kelowna be apart of the bid as well. The vast majority of people seemed to be caught up on the cost of hosting though and building a new Stadium would obviously add to that. I'm not from the area, I visit the Okanagan once a year usually. That's why I asked what it would be used for, I would expect you to be able to help fill in the gaps. Could the Okanagan support a CFL team (in 10 years perhaps)? Perhaps a University would utilize it.

You can make counter points about other parts of the province all you want, however the discussion was started and revolved around Vancouver. I assumed that is what we were discussing. If we're discussing Vancouver, Brazil and Qatar are just not relevant. Just because it is the same sporting event does not mean it's the same circumstances. 

3 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

meh, I live in Vancouver and tax dollars from here go to support things in the interior. Thats not a great argument. 

Its a missed opportunity for global attention.

Hardly, everyone knows about Vancouver. It's easily one of the most visited cities in Canada by international tourists (along with Toronto) annually. Not to mention, it's consistently in the top 5 of most livable cities in the world (this is highly debatable) and a lot of people know that and have known for years. I'm sure it would be a fun couple of weeks, but I doubt a handful of FIFA games would make any difference to Vancouver's reputation on a global scale. However, this event would do wonders for a city like Deadmonton.

1 minute ago, pluralsight said:

Hardly, everyone knows about Vancouver. It's easily one of the most visited cities in Canada by international tourists (along with Toronto) annually. Not to mention, it's consistently in the top 5 of most livable cities in the world (this is highly debatable) and a lot of people know that and have known for years. I'm sure it would be a fun couple of weeks, but I doubt a handful of FIFA games would make any difference to Vancouver's reputation on a global scale. However, this event would do wonders for a city like Deadmonton.

I wonder how they got to know about Vancouver? 

Archived