The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vancouver out despite being awarded a 2026 World Cup host spot

6 hours ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

Well... group A or H is what I meant, you know one of the ones where 3 of the teams essentially aren’t ranked in the top 25 globally. I can’t believe that the point I was trying to make for by YOU of all people. 

I'm not really sure what this post means. I'm lost. 

On 6/16/2018 at 3:36 PM, Standing_Tall#37 said:

Not to break anyone’s ego or anything... but Vancouver probably wouldn’t have seen much action anyways... I mean do people really think that Vancouver would have seen very much action.

I mean it’s the 28th largest city between Mexico, the USA and Canada. There is far better cities in North America to host these events. My guess is that Vancouver would have seen maybe some games from pool G or something. Toronto or Montreal would see the big games if they get any at all. Mexico City and Guadalajara in Mexico and New York, LA and Dallas will probably get the big games in the USA. 

On 6/18/2018 at 9:59 AM, Standing_Tall#37 said:

Well... group A or H is what I meant, you know one of the ones where 3 of the teams essentially aren’t ranked in the top 25 globally. I can’t believe that the point I was trying to make for by YOU of all people. 

Group letter is not an indicator of ranking.  

Teams are divided into pots (tiers) depending on ranking.  So top 8 teams in one pot, then the next 8 in another and so on.  There are 4 pots.  Each Group gets one from each pot.  The exceptions would be home teams.  

So the potential of Vancouver having "only" a "G" group match could mean pretty much anything.  It could just mean Angola vs Senegal.... or it could just easily be Spain vs Brazil.  

2 hours ago, Lancaster said:

Group letter is not an indicator of ranking.  

Teams are divided into pots (tiers) depending on ranking.  So top 8 teams in one pot, then the next 8 in another and so on.  There are 4 pots.  Each Group gets one from each pot.  The exceptions would be home teams.  

So the potential of Vancouver having "only" a "G" group match could mean pretty much anything.  It could just mean Angola vs Senegal.... or it could just easily be Spain vs Brazil.  

You missed my point to. You pointed out a “ no $&!#” fact as well... I’m just not sure if it was meant to be helpful or condescending? 

What I’m trying to say is they’d be giving Vancouver a small draw game or two between 2 irrelevant nations(world-cup of soccer wise). 

And that’s just because there’s 27 cities more populated and more likely to get bigger crowds. 

It would be like the Samara or Saransk stadiums in this World Cup. Mind you Saransk gets to see 1 Portugal match. 

But the stadiums with 50-80,000+ capacity seem to get most of the bigger games. And there seems to be quite a few venues in North America that can House 70,000-100,000+ people in them.

I just don’t see Vancouver as relevant in the major cities of North America to have played a big factor. Russia is using 12 facilities. North America was granted 16 out of the 41 original cities that were part of the bid Canada and Mexico are only involved to supplement the States. 

Archived