The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, thrago said:

Who's to say not me thats for sure. I'm not saying its a bad pick, just was totally out of left field to me. I hope he is a good pick for them I'm not an Arizona fan, but the fans there deserve some good fortune.

The Petterson pick through me for a loop too last year and look how that's turning out.

i see, but for some of us he wasn't.  

3 minutes ago, clynch said:

Kid has skill, and I know the league is trading smaller but his size gives me pause.  My 12 year old is bigger than him. I hope the best for him and the organization. 

As as long as he can hold his own against larger centers and maintain his own defensively I’ll be happy. 

he held his own at the worlds.  I would take small, fast and smart over 'big body' any day.  

• Upvote 1

Perfect time for Canucks to be rebuilding and drafting high.. 

So much skill and speed with these kids coming up...  Canucks are going to be one of if not the most fun team to watch in a few years... 

Pettersson Boeser Hughes and hopefully another  Hughes next year.... 

Rebuild is looking great... 

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Absolutely. I wonder what this means for Stecher long term. Can't have too many small D on a champion and Hughes is alot more talented than Stech. But I guess any decision along those lines is years away.

That issue aside, Tryamkin coming back would be like adding a top 4 D to your roster. Nevermind one that's 6'7 and can skate. And he has interest in coming back too. I can't wait for the day he's back in a Canuck's jersey.

You also have to remember that another, similar player is also in the pipeline - Rathbone.  If Rathbone turns out to be a player (and he is very promising right now) there could be a logjam of small players on the blue line - particularly is Pouliot sticks. Rathbone, Pouliot, Stetcher, and Hughes would make for a very small defence.  At least two of them will be redundant.

1 minute ago, Ray_Cathode said:

You also have to remember that another, similar player is also in the pipeline - Rathbone.  If Rathbone turns out to be a player (and he is very promising right now) there could be a logjam of small players on the blue line - particularly is Pouliot sticks. Rathbone, Pouliot, Stetcher, and Hughes would make for a very small defence.  At least two of them will be redundant.

Was hoping Tanev would have been packaged for a pick to select Dobson.  That would have really rounded out our D nicely.  Juolevi, Hughes, Tryamkin is not a bad trio to work with though.  A lot really does hinge on Tryamkin coming back though.

• Upvote 1

Really didn’t think this kid would be around for us to pick... especially past Detroit.  Zadina falling changed the equation big time.  

What a great nab.  Kid was compared to Orr.  Have we ever had anything close to this as a D prospect?  (And I’m high on Juolevi, but completely different player).

• Cheers 1

I never expected Quinn to fall in the draft. And anyone who has ridiculed me for saying Rasmus Dhalin is not the best defensman in this draft. I am looking forward to seeing this kid prove me right.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

Mixed feelings:

- happy with Hughes

- happy we didn't pick Wahlstrom (had a bad feeling about his attitude)

- hoping that not picking Dobson won't come back to haunt us (not just for size, but also for being a right hand shot)

Remember the Canucks are high on Brisebois whose numbers are only slightly lower that Dobson - remember as well that Brise played on a completely crap team.  The nucks have guys that look like Dobson, but we don't have a Hughes.  I thought the canucks wanted him, but didn't think he would be there.  Chicago and the Oil passed on Dob as well.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

39 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

i watched coffey for much of his career

if this kid has similar skating ability,

hockey iq, and offensive ability

people will complain about his d skills from time to time

but he will more then make up for it

by driving the offensive engine on this team

man i think we might have finally drafted a real genuine #1 dman

I really don't think anyone is going to be complaining about his defensive skills once they see him play. It really is one of his best attributes, while he may be small he uses his elite skating and awareness to shut down attackers. Being small he'll get overwhelmed down low occasionally but I think he'll make up for that with his ability to makes defensive plays in the open ice. He really is elite defensively.

• Upvote 1