The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

4 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

I think this may be the rare case where not only the Canucks mgmt but the majority of CanuckNation were hoping for and are totally ecstatic over this pick.  Cannot remember when the last one would have been,

CDC has found peace!

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, cory40 said:

Quinn Hughes on facing bigger players: The way I use my skating and my hockey sense, and the way I angle and use my stick, it’s not a problem. I’m not going to be using my strength. I’m going to be using my smarts, and brain over brawn. That’s just my game  #canucks

His edge control is so vastly superior to most of his peers that he is able to quickly turn or pivot and end up two or three strides ahead of a pressuring attacker.

This is what separates him defensively from a guy like Bouchard.  If under pressure he takes a quick turn or couple strides and he can lose his forechecker then lead the counter-attack, as opposed to having to either ring it around the boards, dump it out, or eat it and take a hit then engage in a board battle.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

I love the concern over his size. Maybe if he was 3 inches shorter and named Subban, people would want to give him a chance. 

This kid is gonna help the transition game so much!! Can play either side, can walk the line, make the home run pass!! Stoked on getting him!!

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

For a more recent comparison:

Don't think I've seen a D skater like Quinn Hughes since Paul Coffey.  Sure some like Bartkowski can skate well, but Hughes has the high hockey IQ and creativity to not only put up points but control the game.  We've never actually had a dman like that.  Ever.

Paul Reinhart.  Sadly, with a trick back, at the end of his career.  He was Calgary’s answer to Paul Coffey when Calgary was a near great team.  We got to see him for two seasons in Vancouver - sadly, no team to put around him.

• Upvote 1