The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

16 minutes ago, BCNate said:

This kid is the real deal.  Not many players move around the ice like him,  he is so good on his skates.  He is going to be a huge piece for us on the power play.  We need a qb to go along with these elite shots.

Yep . 6 points in 5 games now . Great start for him . 

He's progressing at about the rate I expected from him, which was a ppg. I'm still hoping he has more to give and can go at a higher pace that he currently does. I know Cale Makar is a a year older but he is just lighting the NCAA on fire. Is the division Makar plays in relatively weak compared to Big 10?

30 minutes ago, TGokou said:

He's progressing at about the rate I expected from him, which was a ppg. I'm still hoping he has more to give and can go at a higher pace that he currently does. I know Cale Makar is a a year older but he is just lighting the NCAA on fire. Is the division Makar plays in relatively weak compared to Big 10?

Makar plays in the Hockey-East conf. which I think is typically a bit tougher than the Big-10 where Hughes plays.  That being said there is some variance from season to season as far as conf. strength and last year I recall hearing that Big-10 was  bit bit stronger than Hockey-East, no idea about this season.

7 minutes ago, BlastPast said:

Makar plays in the Hockey-East conf. which I think is typically a bit tougher than the Big-10 where Hughes plays.  That being said there is some variance from season to season as far as conf. strength and last year I recall hearing that Big-10 was  bit bit stronger than Hockey-East, no idea about this season.

I noticed I didn't recognize most of the teams that Umass Amherst has played so far. Ohio east being the only one that I recognize.

So far they've played Royal Canadian Military college of Canada (lol), Renssalaur x2 (who?), ohio state x 2, and merrimack. None of these I would consider to be quality opponents. The only ones that I truly recognize from Hockey east are Boston College, Boston University and Northeastern. Mind you I don't follow NCAA hockey so I may be out to lunch.

54 minutes ago, TGokou said:

Much like his choice to play in the very weak AJHL for junior, Makar made the same choice for college.  It’s a weak league, with a lot of very poor teams.  

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, TGokou said:

I noticed I didn't recognize most of the teams that Umass Amherst has played so far. Ohio east being the only one that I recognize.

So far they've played Royal Canadian Military college of Canada (lol), Renssalaur x2 (who?), ohio state x 2, and merrimack. None of these I would consider to be quality opponents. The only ones that I truly recognize from Hockey east are Boston College, Boston University and Northeastern. Mind you I don't follow NCAA hockey so I may be out to lunch.

Hockey East and the ECAC are the two power conferences in the Northeast. Hockey East is traditionally stronger based on the success of BU, BC and Providence but it will vary from year to year. From what I understand both BU and BC could have down years this season.

The Canadian Military College would have been an exhibition game as NCAA teams usually play one exhibition game and often against a Canadian school. Renssalaur is RPI from the ECAC and Ohio State is from the Big 10. Looking at their schedule besides the required conference games in Hockey East it looks like they mix in a number of quality opponents from ECAC and the Big 10.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Much like his choice to play in the very weak AJHL for junior, Makar made the same choice for college.  It’s a weak league, with a lot of very poor teams.  

Playing in the AJHL allows him to be eligible for the NCAA and Hockey East is not a weak league.

35 minutes ago, UticaHockey said:

Playing in the AJHL allows him to be eligible for the NCAA and Hockey East is not a weak league.

Yup I know that Hockey East in general is a pretty good league but wanted to point that out that Makar has feasted on the weaker opponents so far. Nonetheless he will be a really good player.

1 minute ago, TGokou said:

Yup I know that Hockey East in general is a pretty good league but wanted to point that out that Makar has feasted on the weaker opponents so far. Nonetheless he will be a really good player.

It's early and the meat of the conference schedule for NCAA is yet to come. For comparison I took a look at Michigan's schedule and they also played an exhibition game against a Canadian school plus they lost to Vermont from Hockey East. Michigan and U Mass are both quality programs from power conferences.

8 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

:lol:

Nah, I wouldn't worry about it. 

I mean, if you "need to get a life," what does that mean for me?

I'd have to rethink spending a Saturday watching NCAA/CHL/Euro game streams, following a bunch of twitter threads on the games I can't stream, and keeping several tabs open on my laptop to live stats and gamecentre pages so I can track scoring plays as they happen.

And of course watching the Canucks game (and whatever other NHL games are on). 

I mean, what would I even do if I gave all that up?

Go outside? Play with my kids? Spend quality time with my wife?

Instead of hockey?

Yeesh. That's the point where I'd need to get a life. ;) 

I'm convinced you never sleep and nothing you say or do will persuade me otherwise!

I always appreciate your reports on here, imo you're the most knowledgeable poster on these boards and I hold your opinion on players in high regard. Cheers!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Alflives said:

Not at all. He's not in a weak league at all, nothing wrong with going ajhl in route to NCAA either. 

14 hours ago, TGokou said:

Merrimack is a quality school when it comes to hockey and ohio state is ranked fourth in the nation.

Edited by Isam

22 hours ago, BCNate said:

This kid is the real deal.  Not many players move around the ice like him,  he is so good on his skates.  He is going to be a huge piece for us on the power play.  We need a qb to go along with these elite shots.

Gotta agree. He is havoc out there. I honestly think he could play any position, but he throws everyone off by playing D. How do you draw up a game plan that can deal with his shiftiness.  You almost have to try to match up a third d man in for a forward when he is out there. 

Going to be exciting to see how he meshes with EP40.  

14 hours ago, UticaHockey said:

It's early and the meat of the conference schedule for NCAA is yet to come. For comparison I took a look at Michigan's schedule and they also played an exhibition game against a Canadian school plus they lost to Vermont from Hockey East. Michigan and U Mass are both quality programs from power conferences.

To be fair they lost to a Vermont goalie having the game of his life.  Didn’t they put like 80 shots on goal that game. 

45 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

To be fair they lost to a Vermont goalie having the game of his life.  Didn’t they put like 80 shots on goal that game. 

I have no idea to tell you the truth.  My point was there is no need to belittle the AJHL and Hockey East because that is the route Makar took.  The bottom line is that Michigan and U Mass are both quality programs as the Big 10 and Hockey East are quality conferences.  Ask Thatcher Demko if he thinks Hockey East is a quality conference since he chose to attend BC.

For Canadian kids that want to play NCAA hockey the AJHL and BCHL are the two most chosen paths.  If they play in the CHL they are not eligible for NCAA hockey.  For American kids the path is usually the USHL or US National Development Program.

5 minutes ago, UticaHockey said:

I have no idea to tell you the truth.  My point was there is no need to belittle the AJHL and Hockey East because that is the route Makar took.  The bottom line is that Michigan and U Mass are both quality programs as the Big 10 and Hockey East are quality conferences.  Ask Thatcher Demko if he thinks Hockey East is a quality conference since he chose to attend BC.

For Canadian kids that want to play NCAA hockey the AJHL and BCHL are the two most chosen paths.  If they play in the CHL they are not eligible for NCAA hockey.  For American kids the path is usually the USHL or US National Development Program.

The AJHL is not nearly as good as the BCJHL, and the BCJHL is no where close to Major Junior.  These points are not arguable.