The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

Today's game is on flohockey.tv again (paid service). I don't think there's even an "illegal" stream available.

Links for live stats and radio (and the paid stream) are in this tweet:

Listed start is 7:07pm Eastern Time, so 4:07pm in Vancouver.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
put "illegal" in quotes because it's technically not illegal to stream games in Canada from unauthorized providers, so long as you don't download the content
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

Looks like they lost 5-2. No points for Q. 

This may have been mentioned in the Lockwood thread, can’t remember. 

Lockwood looked very good in the game.   Hughes was not stellar and seemed to be almost "floating" through some of the game.   Does anyone know if he is fighting an injury as he didn't seem keen to push the play much.   Admittedly first full game I have seen this year and the tape feed was not brilliant.    

So, 7 games in, I think it's fair to say Hughes isn't lighting US college hockey on fire.  Tied for 6th in scoring among defensemen, with other high NHL draft picks ahead of him ,such K'andre Miller and Cale Makar.  Not that he's having a poor year of course, just that expectations are ridiculously high, and anything less that strong consideration for the Hobey might be considered a disappointment. 

One trend that I've picked up that seems a little worrying is that his play seems disinterested at times.  We certainly noticed it at the summer showcase, but brushed it off as his being sick and having nothing to gain, but a few posters have made similar observations on his play so far this year at Michigan.  

Oh well, the season is young, lots of hockey left to be played, perhaps he picks it up, OR perhaps he blows the doors off when he finishes the year in Vancouver and is presented more of a challenge.  

There's a reason Hughes' offensive stats are down slightly. He - and his team in general - are focusing on their defensive game. And by most accounts, it's going well:

https://www.michigandaily.com/section/ice-hockey/michigans-defense-stepped-well-its-discipline (need to fill out short survey to read)

One of Hughes' biggest criticisms was that he roved too much, and his freewheeling style would get exposed at the pro level. So this should be seen as a positive development.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dungass said:

So, 7 games in, I think it's fair to say Hughes isn't lighting US college hockey on fire.  Tied for 6th in scoring among defensemen, with other high NHL draft picks ahead of him ,such K'andre Miller and Cale Makar.  Not that he's having a poor year of course, just that expectations are ridiculously high, and anything less that strong consideration for the Hobey might be considered a disappointment. 

One trend that I've picked up that seems a little worrying is that his play seems disinterested at times.  We certainly noticed it at the summer showcase, but brushed it off as his being sick and having nothing to gain, but a few posters have made similar observations on his play so far this year at Michigan.  

Oh well, the season is young, lots of hockey left to be played, perhaps he picks it up, OR perhaps he blows the doors off when he finishes the year in Vancouver and is presented more of a challenge.  

going pro was the best move for him.  Disappointing

3 hours ago, Dungass said:

7 points in 7 games...while trying to work out the defensive side of things...sounds pretty hot to me...maybe not on fire yet, but if he holds on to the PPG pace he will be in the Hobey Baker conversation.

Nothing to worry about here....

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Dungass said:

Definitely agree that Quinn needs to increase his intensity.  Looks a little lackadaisical at times or appears he isn't skating hard enough to get back into position.  

He will learn eventually in the pros though that he cannot take moments off during his shift, he needs to be proactive at all times.  After having 2 years of Travis Green's defensive style and what he wants in the defensive zone, Quinn has some work ahead of him.   He wants defense to activate and engage the opposition at all times and play hard.  Quinn sometimes looks like he is drifting in his own zone.

I don't think Hughes has to blow the doors open offensively, because we know his offensive tools are there, what we should be more interested in seeing how Hughes develops his defensive game (his reads, positioning, and all around effort).

5 hours ago, D-Money said:

There's a reason Hughes' offensive stats are down slightly. He - and his team in general - are focusing on their defensive game. And by most accounts, it's going well:

https://www.michigandaily.com/section/ice-hockey/michigans-defense-stepped-well-its-discipline (need to fill out short survey to read)

One of Hughes' biggest criticisms was that he roved too much, and his freewheeling style would get exposed at the pro level. So this should be seen as a positive development.

His offensive stats are down? I’m not sure where you’re getting that from. He’s got 7 in 7 which is a better pace than last year.

I do second that his looks disinterested at times - which could be a sign of just that: disinterest, or because of legitimate poor play which makes him look disinterested. Not sure which one it is but he’s gotta pick it up to sustain his scoring.

5 hours ago, Dungass said:

7 games in is still a very small sample size. The projected leaders in scoring, whether in college or NHL or junior, generally aren’t going to be leading. The hot ones at the top generally cool down and the projected leaders generally sustain a good pace or pick up their pace. If Quinn sustains his pace and goes PPG, he’ll definitely be above 6th for dman scoring. Just because it’s earlier season which means a bunch of guys will be above PPG due to sample size, doesn’t mean everyone can sustain it. I think Quinn should be able to do that. But again, he’ll need to pick up his intensity/play.

3 hours ago, Grape said:

His offensive stats are down? I’m not sure where you’re getting that from. He’s got 7 in 7 which is a better pace than last year.

I do second that his looks disinterested at times - which could be a sign of just that: disinterest, or because of legitimate poor play which makes him look disinterested. Not sure which one it is but he’s gotta pick it up to sustain his scoring.

Honestly, he's that good. He's looking disinterested and putting up a ppg at the NCAA level. Once he's feeling it a bit more he will be lethal. 

On ‎11‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 9:38 PM, Sean Monahan said:

^^^

quite possibly the worst gif of all time 

I just watched jack Rathbones highlights from the Harvard twitter and they have super HD crystal clear video and then there's this.

7 games is a blip on the radar.

Probably he realizes he has something to learn still - and needs to get his game in order defensively by the sound of it?  So he would be in Utica anyways if he decided to stay.

he is no Dahlin, he will take time.  He could be a solid #1 D.  Patience is required.  He is probably wishing he was in Van though with EP taking off, so expect him to focus and be ready to a few games at the end of the season!   Someone from the team is probably planning on talking to him sometime soon

3 hours ago, canucksnihilist said:

7 games is a blip on the radar.

Probably he realizes he has something to learn still - and needs to get his game in order defensively by the sound of it?  So he would be in Utica anyways if he decided to stay.

he is no Dahlin, he will take time.  He could be a solid #1 D.  Patience is required.  He is probably wishing he was in Van though with EP taking off, so expect him to focus and be ready to a few games at the end of the season!   Someone from the team is probably planning on talking to him sometime soon

Im just excited for this stage of our rebuild with transitioning in these young offensive stars. These next two- three years of development for Hughes and all our prospects is crucial to whether or not we become Stanley cup competitors. Boeser last year. Pettersson this year. And next year we will most likely see full seasons of Hughes, Juolevi and Dahlen. Not to mention others that may step in such as Lind, MacEwen, Chatfield, Brisebois and our 2019 draft picks. 

Ideally we trade many of our vets this deadline that are replaceable through our youth now or next year. Trade Edler, Sutter, Del Zotto, Nilsson(or Marky depending on price), Tanev (for a high price only) and Schaller. Next year we could see a much younger lineup such as

Goldy-Pettersson-Boeser

Baertschi-Horvat-Virtanen

Roussel-Beagle-Eriksson

Granlund-Gaudette-MacEwen

Motte

Hutton-Stecher

Juolevi-Tanev

Hughes-Guddy

Pouliot-Chatfield

Markstrom

Demko

Patience with our prospects is a must but there also needs to be room for them to step in

20 hours ago, Dungass said:

K’Andre Miller is a really good late 1st round player. He was underrated and is showing it. He, Wilde and Woo were my hope with our second. Glad for Woo!!  

Hughes is a ppg player atm, Michigan has been off and on, while Hughes has been inconsistent. Okay, early days, but a ppg defender in the NCAA is a let down?

From what I have read Hughes is working hard off ice, building strength and working on his shot.  That type of off ice training takes a lot of energy away from guys, it pays off later, but with other young D+1 players who need to work on building strength, they don’t seem

to have the same jump for a while.  It’s for a reason, I am speculating, but Hughes has talked about his goals this year. To get ready for the NHL. 

• Upvote 1