The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, drummerboy said:

Me too.  Boqvist has a lot of the same skills and benefits as Quinn, plus a massive shot, which Quinn definitely does not have.     

I’m fine we picked Hughes and will support him 100%, but I’m very interested to see how this goes.  

Also Boqvist is 10 months younger than Quinn. I was a huge Boqvist fanboy at the draft and still am. However I also really liked Quinn at the draft as a possibility because I felt both guys skill sets trended more to the new NHL style rather than Dobson and Bouchard. Bouchard seemed slow and Dobson just seemed like a guy good at everything but not great at any one thing. I’m excited about Quinn’s game and can’t wait until next year when he’s probably a regular in the lineup.

I loved Boqvist pre-draft as well, he attacks well in the offensive zone just like Quinn, but Quinn's skating is a lot more dynamic. Boqvist is quick and agile as well, but Quinn has another level of agility where he can pivot away from opponents with ease, then speed burst away. Something I haven't seen from Boqvist. Quinn's defense is better because he's able to close the gap on opponents quick and knock the puck away.

1 hour ago, The Lock said:

Do you 2 need a room or can you be adults? You're acting about the same really. lol

Will Juolevi make it? Maybe. Maybe not. We will see.

Was Juolevi a good pick at the draft? We needed defense and didn't have any high end defensive prospects so yes. I don't care what hindsight brings.

With all the talk about Boqvist, if people don't think Juolevi will make it, Boqvist for sure won't. Juolevi has looked way more impressive the same age, at every stage (U18, U20, CHL).

• Wat 2

56 minutes ago, westcoastsniper said:

With all the talk about Boqvist, if people don't think Juolevi will make it, Boqvist for sure won't. Juolevi has looked way more impressive the same age, at every stage (U18, U20, CHL).

I don't really see how that makes much sense to be honest. They are 2 different players and Juolevi's had injuries. They will take their own paths and really their success will be independent of each other regardless of if you think they have similar skill sets, one is better than the other, or whatever.

On 12/26/2018 at 4:50 PM, flickyoursedin said:

Also Boqvist is 10 months younger than Quinn. I was a huge Boqvist fanboy at the draft and still am. However I also really liked Quinn at the draft as a possibility because I felt both guys skill sets trended more to the new NHL style rather than Dobson and Bouchard. Bouchard seemed slow and Dobson just seemed like a guy good at everything but not great at any one thing. I’m excited about Quinn’s game and can’t wait until next year when he’s probably a regular in the lineup.

Boqvist didn't make his men's world cup team and play meaningful minutes.  

To me, Quinn's performance at the world cup showed that he was as blue chip as there was outside of Dahlin.  It took a while for me to come around to Hughes pre draft.  I wasnt as smart as others on this board.  BTW would Boqvist have dropped the gloves on his last game.  

This wasn't the Latvian team, but Team USA.  He wasn't just there to fetch water, but actually play.  

10 months apart... WTF cares.  

Edited by Phat Fingers
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, westcoastsniper said:

OJ is fine.  According to the news he will have a full recovery. They are doing the right thing and I expect he will be fully recovered and ready before.next season.  

Salo played for what 13 seasons....

OJ's injuries seem to be training related.  Maybe his desire to speed up his physical development needs to be tempered, like expectations for players under 21 by the CDC   

11 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

Boqvist didn't make his men's world cup team and play meaningful minutes.  

To me, Quinn's performance at the world cup showed that he was as blue chip as there was outside of Dahlin.  It took a while for me to come around to Hughes pre draft.  I want as smart as others on this board.  BTW would Boqvist have dropped the gloves on his last game.  

This wasn't the Latvian team, but Team USA.  He wasn't just there to fetch water, but actually play.  

10 months apart... WTF cares.  

So Boqvist isn’t as good of a prospect because he didn’t make his national men’s team at 17 years old? When you’re 17 comparing to an 18 year old 10 months can be a big deal. In April 2019 Boqvist will be as old as Hughes was when we drafted him. That’s a lot of time for kids growing and developing. I can’t say if Boqvist would drop the gloves or not but I guess I couldn’t say that he wouldn’t either lol. I love Hughes as a prospect and I’m thrilled that he’s ours but I’m not gonna put Boqvist down just because of hypothetical scenarios or that he didn’t make a men’s team last summer.

• Upvote 3

Alright guys, my post game Slovakia analysis on Quinn:

Had a slow start in the first but then again the entire U.S. Team sucked in the first. But wow, the 2nd period he was flying. He’s so steady with break out passes, never panics, skates like a horse and has some sweet moves. Saw a couple dirty dangles on Slovak defenders. Defensively he was pretty good, but he was guilty a couple times of trying to make a perfect pass but turned it over in his own zone. Got away with it but in the NHL that would likely be a goal against. Not worried though, it was very minimal.

Overall, was impressed with him. He will boost our Powerplay significantly and him feeding Brock and Petey?? Amazing.

Cant wait to see him in a Canucks jersey.

FYI- Didn’t notice Jack very much though. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

I was also at the USA vs Slovakia in Vic today... The first thing that surprised me was, about 3/4 of the crowd was pulling for the Slovacs!  I ask some of their supporters behind me why they were supporting them and they said they wanted to get the competition (USA in this case) out of their path for Canada winning the gold!  

I get it but I was going for Quinn and Tyler!.... Both by the way, were really noticeable.  Especially as the game went along. 

Tyler though not as noticeable as Quinn, he seems to know were to be on the ice... Makes subtle plays knows when to dig in and compete for the puck when its warranted.

Quinn was probably the most noticable player on the ice from second period in.  Most of his decisions were smart ones.  There were a couple that in the NHL he'd have caused a grade A scoring chance against.  At this level, he was able to recover and break up the play before the scoring chance against materialized.  

Overall was awesome to see both teams.  The Slovaks played a pretty good game and for half of the game they outplayed the US... But then the counter attack and speed of team USA more or less took over.

Quinn will definitely be a welcome addition on the back end.  Our mobility will be upgraded drastically with him passing or carrying the puck up ice.  However, he may make some bone headed (trying to do to much by himself) from time to time... We will have to have patience with him.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Rodishred said:

I was also at the USA vs Slovakia in Vic today... The first thing that surprised me was, about 3/4 of the crowd was pulling for the Slovacs!  I ask some of their supporters behind me why they were supporting them and they said they wanted to get the competition (USA in this case) out of their path for Canada winning the gold!  

I get it but I was going for Quinn and Tyler!.... Both by the way, were really noticeable.  Especially as the game went along. 

Tyler though not as noticeable as Quinn, he seems to know were to be on the ice... Makes subtle plays knows when to dig in and compete for the puck when its warranted.

Quinn was probably the most noticable player on the ice from second period in.  Most of his decisions were smart ones.  There were a couple that in the NHL he'd have caused a grade A scoring chance against.  At this level, he was able to recover and break up the play before the scoring chance against materialized.  

Overall was awesome to see both teams.  The Slovaks played a pretty good game and for half of the game they outplayed the US... But then the counter attack and speed of team USA more or less took over.

Quinn will definitely be a welcome addition on the back end.  Our mobility will be upgraded drastically with him passing or carrying the puck up ice.  However, he may make some bone headed (trying to do to much by himself) from time to time... We will have to have patience with him.  

Jovocop reincarnated!

• Haha 1