The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

On 12/26/2018 at 7:22 PM, flickyoursedin said:

So Boqvist isn’t as good of a prospect because he didn’t make his national men’s team at 17 years old? When you’re 17 comparing to an 18 year old 10 months can be a big deal. In April 2019 Boqvist will be as old as Hughes was when we drafted him. That’s a lot of time for kids growing and developing. I can’t say if Boqvist would drop the gloves or not but I guess I couldn’t say that he wouldn’t either lol. I love Hughes as a prospect and I’m thrilled that he’s ours but I’m not gonna put Boqvist down just because of hypothetical scenarios or that he didn’t make a men’s team last summer.

Age doesn't have as much of an impact as size and strength in the younger levels in almost any sport.  I started shaving at 13, played mens league sports by 15/16.  I could woop nearly anyone my age back then, cause I had a heavier build and was very strong for my age.  

Boqvist and Hughes have nearly the exact same dimensions and weight... I even think Boqvist might be the larger of the two.  The advantages 10 months holds at that level isn't to do with smarts, abilities or intelligence.  Boqvist isnt going to magically do anything a quantum leap better at 17 than he will at 18.  

They're ten months apart as nearly full adults, not new borns.  One doesn't have any outrageous physical ability over the other.  If Hughes was 6'2 and 200lbs to Boqvist, then it would matter more.  

Added to that, had Boqvist made the swedish men's world cup team as a legit player, would that not be relevant to his abilities and development to date?  You betcha!!

The only other player to achieve that that year was Dahlin, except he went to the Olympics.  

I am not putting Boqvist down with that comparison.  A tad but reactionary on your part.  

On 12/27/2018 at 6:58 PM, canucksnihilist said:

Make that 3 of us - you just for chiming in on meaningless banter.

i call the couch.  You 2 can share the queen bed.  Haha!

Good thing you recognize your opinion in this case is meaningless. ;)

Anyway, joking aside, I called it how I saw it. Clearly, other people agreed with me. I'll be nice and let you have that queen bed.

Edited by The Lock

On 12/27/2018 at 9:25 PM, HockeyHarry said:

I do think Quinn needs a solid stay home d partner, so he can be more the rover type player.  Unfortunately I didn’t see the game but that’s what is sounds like.

i think Quinn’s a guy that his D partner needs time to figure out how to play with him.

big Tryamkin, or Woo would be a great future fit, both stay home dmen that can also clear the crease. I really would luv big Trym with Quinn cuz both can skate...so if turnovers happen both can get back fast.

Future Canuck hockey will definitely be exciting.

He needs a dependable two way guy with a booming shot and size.  

Maybe he can use Guddy.... 1.5 out of 3 isnt bad.  Guddy has the size and does have a hard shot.  He plays a more stay at home style.  

Guddy can also skate well for a.big guy.  He did well with Campbell in Florida.  It is the easiest option.  I would like a player that is more skilled, but I would be very happy having Guddy shred anyone taking a run at Quinn.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Zhukini said:

He is absolutely dominating tonight and he looks like he’s taking it easy on them too

Absolutely! Kids feelin it tonight. The dangles, speed, and passing makes him exciting every time he touches the puck. Cant wait til hes with the Canucks come playoff time. 

4 minutes ago, Kushman said:

Elias needs to send him his 12 step program for shooting. 

Yup, now we have two benchmarks for prospects to improve their skills: (1) Bo Horvat’s skating and (2) Elias Pettersson’s shot. No pressure, guys, but Canucks fans will be expecting all of you to match these levels of improvement. ;) 

15 minutes ago, Zhukini said:

Shot is still the biggest thing he needs to improve 

I'm not worried about his shot at all. He always gets the puck past the 1st defender and quite often it is just a hard pass for a deflection and not an actual shot. He gets his shot away so quickly that I doubt he will get shots blocked even at the NHL level........he probably gets 3 shots off in the time it takes Edler to get 1 shot!

Q is a special player offensively, there's no question about it. He might even be better than Dahlin in carrying the puck, although Dahlin has slightly better playmaking in the offensive zone, better vision. That said, Hughes needs work in the defensive end. I know today's game was against weak competition, but I've watched 3 games of his with Michigan this season and he's waaaay too casual defensively. He's also caught puck watching often. He needs to have better defensive awareness and pick up the right guy in the D zone. His skating allows him to be nice and aggressive with his gaps and he can chase anyone down, but he needs quite a bit of work on his D zone coverage.

Hopefully he can focus on his defensive game in the second half of the year with Michigan. He's proven everything he needs to prove offensively at the NCAA level. I'm excited about him as prospect and the potential chemistry with Petey and Boeser especially on the PP, but he really does need to work on his defensive game and the earlier the better. The NHL shouldn't be the place he figures it out defensively.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Vanuckles said:

Q is a special player offensively, there's no question about it. He might even be better than Dahlin in carrying the puck, although Dahlin has slightly better playmaking in the offensive zone, better vision. That said, Hughes needs work in the defensive end. I know today's game was against weak competition, but I've watched 3 games of his with Michigan this season and he's waaaay too casual defensively. He's also caught puck watching often. He needs to have better defensive awareness and pick up the right guy in the D zone. His skating allows him to be nice and aggressive with his gaps and he can chase anyone down, but he needs quite a bit of work on his D zone coverage.

Hopefully he can focus on his defensive game in the second half of the year with Michigan. He's proven everything he needs to prove offensively at the NCAA level. I'm excited about him as prospect and the potential chemistry with Petey and Boeser especially on the PP, but he really does need to work on his defensive game and the earlier the better. The NHL shouldn't be the place he figures it out defensively.

I definitely agree with the puck watching.  When I see him get scored against I think “he could have easily gotten in a position to prevent that with his elite skating” but no, he’s watching the play.  haha. It’s all good though, I have no doubt he’ll figure it out. He’s really impressed so far.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, gttxc said:

I definitely agree with the puck watching.  When I see him get scored against I think “he could have easily gotten in a position to prevent that with his elite skating” but no, he’s watching the play.  haha. It’s all good though, I have no doubt he’ll figure it out. He’s really impressed so far.

Yeah, I think he will be in for a bit of a shock in his first few NHL games.  He won't get away with some of his plays and Green will be on him if he does any 'puck watching'.  His other weakness is his lame shot.  He is much more of a playmaker than a shooter, which should be ok with the firepower up front.  I would love it if the Canucks could somehow acquire Trouba from the Jets, as he would match up well with Quinn with his physical game, speed and heavy shot.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Vanuckles said:

I noticed the casual defense live against Slovakia too. A few times Quinn’s check would be wide open because he got caught puck watching, and he would try to do too much in his own zone which resulted in turnovers. Team USA is lucky Slovakia isn’t really gifted offensively because do that against Canada and they would’ve been slaughtered. 

That being said, I’m not worried. Quinn will learn how the NHL works. He’s a very smart player, and is very gifted offensively. Defensively he will figure it out.

Edited by BlueDragon23
  • Upvote 1