The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

12 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

The thing that is missing is between the ears.  

His Vision, skating, skill are off the charts, but his decision making and positional play are brutal.  

Too many bad picks, trying to do waaaay too much himself. 

Does he realize there are other players on the ice too?

I have such a hard time with this kid.  

He plays the same style as J Subban, and I hate how Subban plays the game.  It’s why he isn’t in the NHL despite all his skill. 

The ‘Rover’ game just doesn’t really work.  

But he is just such a phenomenally skilled kid, you just have to root for him and hope he puts it together. 

Quinn needs to focus HARD on defensive positioning and making the right play.  

His skill and skating will get him to the show. 

Toning down the hot dogging and learning defence will decide if he is a superstar.  

And getting a better shot.   Man is it weak. 

The good news is that we've already seen him play with NHL level players with that sort of structure and he played well, getting rave reviews from coaches so it does seem like he's intelligent enough to adapt to the game as needed.  

I was at last night’s game and here are my thoughts on Quinn Hughes’s Game:

- He is a very good skater, both with and without the puck. He knows how to turn and make room for himself to make a play.

- Tremendous hockey sense, and is really good at keeping the play on-side when opposing team is trying to exit the zone.

- He had quite a few good passes and plays in the offensive zone but his teammates didn’t finish most of his set ups until the one assist he had in the last minute of the game.

- He did have that blatant turnover that led to Sweden’s 3rd goal. He saw the Swedes were changing, and he was hoping to carry the puck into the o-zone and go for a goal. I understand the rationale behind this play, US was down 2-0, he was taking a risk that if he can carry it into the o-zone, he could have a chance to score a goal and get his team back into the game.

- He was actually much more conservative in his play when the game was still close. He doesn’t try to do those solo rushes by carrying the puck into the o-zone himself, rather he often skates the puck to the neutral zone then passes off the one of his forwards to let them do the zone-entry (most of the time).

- He could work harder on his shot, as I think if he can shoot the puck harder and pick the corners a little bit, he could improve his goal-scoring total both in this tournament or in his college season. However, he is a play maker first and he can often pass the puck to the forwards at prime position to shoot.

- Overall, I thought he played a good game.

Edited by ruilin96
  • Upvote 4

48 minutes ago, Dungass said:

I'm going to hold my expectations of Quinn in this tournament in check.  I remember last year watching Petey like a hawk, and being less than impressed.  He scored the bulk of his points agains belorussia and switzerland.  He whiffed on so many one timers I lost count.  As well, all except one of his 7 points was on the PP.  On the other hand I was really impressed with Olli's game.  Oh yeah, Mittlestadt dominated the tourney, last time I checked he has Gaudette like numbers in Buffalo this year.

Point I'm trying to make is, can't read too much into this tournament.  Look at the skill set and the fundamentals more than the flashy point totals.  I think we can get a better read on Quinn from watching him regularly at Michigan.  

When will people realise the good/great players are about more than points. If you watched last year you would have seen a playmaker supreme in the games. If we know one thing about Petey it is that he is not greedy. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, drummerboy said:

The thing that is missing is between the ears.  

His Vision, skating, skill are off the charts, but his decision making and positional play are brutal.  

Too many bad picks, trying to do waaaay too much himself. 

Does he realize there are other players on the ice too?

I have such a hard time with this kid.  

He plays the same style as J Subban, and I hate how Subban plays the game.  It’s why he isn’t in the NHL despite all his skill. 

The ‘Rover’ game just doesn’t really work.  

But he is just such a phenomenally skilled kid, you just have to root for him and hope he puts it together. 

Quinn needs to focus HARD on defensive positioning and making the right play.  

His skill and skating will get him to the show. 

Toning down the hot dogging and learning defence will decide if he is a superstar.  

And getting a better shot.   Man is it weak. 

There is lots to his game that you can admire but you point out a lot of faults that I see as well. IMHO the big question will be how coachable he is and who he is paired with. From the way he exposes himself the NHL adjustment could be huge. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Maketherightmove said:

Did you just say that Bo & Brock aren't on Quinn's level? They're already stars in the NHL - Quinn can't defend a weak group of World Juniors. Let's temper expectations a bit. 

From a playmaking sense they are not on his level, which was what I was alluding too. I am confident in saying that.

40 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

There is lots to his game that you can admire but you point out a lot of faults that I see as well. IMHO the big question will be how coachable he is and who he is paired with. From the way he exposes himself the NHL adjustment could be huge. 

This. Quinn hasn't had NHL coaching yet to get him playing tighter hockey. He carries every team he's on because he has to. Once he joins our team he will be coached the right way and fill his role as necessary. I have no doubt he will be receptive to Greener and the team culture, but his coachability will determine whether or not he sees success right away or if it will take longer.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

This. Quinn hasn't had NHL coaching yet to get him playing tighter hockey. He carries every team he's on because he has to. Once he joins our team he will be coached the right way and fill his role as necessary. I have no doubt he will be receptive to Greener and the team culture, but his coachability will determine whether or not he sees success right away or if it will take longer.

Seriously, his NCAA coach kind of let's him do his thing because he is that much better than everyone else. Once he gets to pro hockey it will be a bit of a reality check, hopefully the adjustment is quick.

the issue with quinn will be how disruptive he will be to team defence, given he will be looking to play 20 plus minutes.    if he can make his d game work and/or find a complimentary guy who can cover for him and have the team maintain defensive shape when he is on the ice it will be awesome.  hence they want to keep tanev.  the danger is the phil housley sutuation where, as good as he was on offence,  you could staple the guy on the bench with a good forecheck and he was good to allow multiple oddman rushes per game.   

2 hours ago, cyoung said:

Seriously, his NCAA coach kind of let's him do his thing because he is that much better than everyone else. Once he gets to pro hockey it will be a bit of a reality check, hopefully the adjustment is quick.

My bet is he will adjust as quickly as Petey. I really think he's that special of a player - the type that creates room for himself and others with ease.

The NHL is the toughest league to play in, no doubt, but elite players with high IQs are very difficult to defend against because it's not easy to catch them in a vulnerable position. With his IQ and skating ability, he will have no problem adjusting his game. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, alfstonker said:

When will people realise the good/great players are about more than points. If you watched last year you would have seen a playmaker supreme in the games. If we know one thing about Petey it is that he is not greedy. 

And a playmaker won't get a lot of points if his finishers don't finish.  EP is lucky, the way Gretzky and Hawerchuck were lucky: they can finish too. 

34 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

My bet is he will adjust as quickly as Petey. I really think he's that special of a player - the type that creates room for himself and others with ease.

The NHL is the toughest league to play in, no doubt, but elite players with high IQs are very difficult to defend against because it's not easy to catch them in a vulnerable position. With his IQ and skating ability, he will have no problem adjusting his game. 

I'm thinking more so along the lines of not being the "go to" guy. Having to play structured systems and not just do what you want. He's definitely good enough to play in the nhl and I'm looking forward to it, it'll just be interesting to see how he fits in!

• Cheers 1

33 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

And look at the team he is coming to: Boeser, Pettersson, Horvat... these guys can finish.  The better his line-mates the greater his point totals.  The better his line-mates, the less risky he will be because fewer things can go wrong, more can go right.  Like Pettersson, he will be better as he plays in better leagues.  Boeser's plus minus numbers improve when he is with EP: they have the puck more, they score more, and EP is a terrific defender.  This will be the case for Hughes, and probably Woo too, who I see making the Canucks next year right along side Hughes. 

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, gameburn said:

If the Canucks make the playoffs, does this mean Hughes is available to play in them?  If so, will he make a big difference?

Assuming Hughes's college team loses out, we will get him sometime around mid-March. He would definitely be eligible for the playoffs should the Canucks make it. It could be the wildcard on our team.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

Assuming Hughes's college team loses out, we will get him sometime around mid-March. He would definitely be eligible for the playoffs should the Canucks make it. It could be the wildcard on our team.

Hughes could play a safe 18 minutes a game, a third of it on the power play.  Gradually work his way in.

Or, he could be as good as he looks and play 20 plus minutes a game from the get go, lol.  Great players have a way of changing a coach's plans.  Look at EP lol.  They started out worrying if he could "handle" center ice duties lol. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gameburn said:

Hughes could play a safe 18 minutes a game, a third of it on the power play.  Gradually work his way in.

Or, he could be as good as he looks and play 20 plus minutes a game from the get go, lol.  Great players have a way of changing a coach's plans.  Look at EP lol.  They started out worrying if he could "handle" center ice duties lol. 

Will be interesting to see how many games he plays in Vancouver.. Expansion protection list will come into affect..Canuck will have to think about this with Seattle coming into the league...

Players with less then 2 years NHL experience don't have to be protected..

Vancouver will have some big decisions to make in 2 years...

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, wildcam said:

Will be interesting to see how many games he plays in Vancouver.. Expansion protection list will come into affect..Canuck will have to think about this with Seattle coming into the league...

Players with less then 2 years NHL experience don't have to be protected..

Vancouver will have some big decisions to make in 2 years...

Yes.  Giving up Sbisa was one thing... some of these new guys, something much worse.