The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

Provided everything goes according to plan and that the are no drastic changes, I foresee this defensive lineup next season:

Edler-Tanev

Hutton-Stecher

Hughes-Gudbranson

Pouliot/Sautner-Biega

Juolevi should continue to marinate in the minors with Chatfield

42 minutes ago, therodigy said:

Provided everything goes according to plan and that the are no drastic changes, I foresee this defensive lineup next season:

Edler-Tanev

Hutton-Stecher

Hughes-Gudbranson

Pouliot/Sautner-Biega

Personally I am expecting OJ to be better next season than any of the three on your 4th pairing, and there's a decent chance one of Edler or Tanev is gone, but we'll just have to wait and see. 

55 minutes ago, therodigy said:

Edler-Tanev

Hutton-Stecher

Hughes-Gudbranson

Pouliot/Sautner-Biega

IMO if the Canucks go into next year with that D they have failed in the summer. That is almost the same crap D we have this year. More changes are needed than simply bringing Q Hughes up imo.

13 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

Personally I am expecting OJ to be better next season than any of the three on your 4th pairing, and there's a decent chance one of Edler or Tanev is gone, but we'll just have to wait and see. 

Does OJ no good to sit in the press box on the '4th pairing’. It's not about him being better or not.

• Upvote 1

On ‎1‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 2:55 AM, alfstonker said:

I really am amazed at how many think Hughes will just walk into the team. I have big reservations on that and would prefer to see him help Utica if he is eligible and they are in the playoffs. There is no need to hurry him.

I understand where your coming from, But we have a new crop of young talent that has been breaking the rules of traditional Canuck draft picks. Hughes is the real deal. Some players you wonder if it will translate and other you just know. Just like EP everyone who followed him knew he was NHL ready except a few fans who think its amazing when good or exceptional hockey players are expected to succeed! He went back to college so he was not rushed!

17 hours ago, aGENT said:

Not sure why his parents would try to convince him to delay getting played millions of dollars in a notoriously short/high risk of injury career...

Yeh its usually players who need to develop take this route and become sought after!

17 hours ago, aGENT said:

Not sure why his parents would try to convince him to delay getting played millions of dollars in a notoriously short/high risk of injury career...

I mean, you pretty much exactly answered why a person would get an education considering the risks of playing hockey and how short a career could be. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, therodigy said:

Edler-Tanev

Hutton-Stecher

Hughes-Gudbranson

Pouliot/Sautner-Biega

I think Benning wants to trade Edler if he can and then hopefully resign him. I see no reason for POuliot to be back next and I think Tanev or Guddy will be traded this deadline/offseason as well. I think our D lineup needs a shakeup and could end up looking roughly like this.

Hughes-Tanev

Edler-Stecher

Hutton-Myers

Juolevi-Biega

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

I mean, you pretty much exactly answered why a person would get an education considering the risks of playing hockey and how short a career could be. 

If he has a career ending injury at 23, I'm pretty sure he can go back to school.

3 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

How is your arithmetic? How many years do you think the average university graduate would need to work to earn the money an average NHL player makes in a year? Try thinking about it.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

I think Benning wants to trade Edler if he can and then hopefully resign him. I see no reason for POuliot to be back next and I think Tanev or Guddy will be traded this deadline/offseason as well. I think our D lineup needs a shakeup and could end up looking roughly like this.

Hughes-Tanev

Edler-Stecher

Hutton-Myers

Juolevi-Biega

In an ideal world, Edler does a sign and trade and we trade out Guddy for pieces. JB has always seemed to be high on Myers so wouldn't be surprised if he is acquired. If there was a way, I wouldn't mind trying to pry Philippe Myers from Philly for some RHD depth, but I'm ok with Stecher I'm the top 6.

On 1/23/2019 at 2:55 AM, alfstonker said:

I really am amazed at how many think Hughes will just walk into the team. I have big reservations on that and would prefer to see him help Utica if he is eligible and they are in the playoffs. There is no need to hurry him.

Curious. Do you think he could be worse then Pouliot? He is a risk reward type player and he will give up the puck plenty during his time, but he is also going to be playing with Pettersson. You put those 2 on the ice and there is going to be magic on a game to game basis. The way he can pivot with the puck and leave players in his wake will be amplified in the NHL, where everyone is where they're supposed to be on the ice. Did Boeser need to see any time in the AHL? We're looking at the same thing with Hughes. He's just that good and he'll adapt to the game quickly the way he did in the world championship with the US last year.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, canuckledraggin said:

Curious. Do you think he could be worse then Pouliot? He is a risk reward type player and he will give up the puck plenty during his time, but he is also going to be playing with Pettersson. You put those 2 on the ice and there is going to be magic on a game to game basis. The way he can pivot with the puck and leave players in his wake will be amplified in the NHL, where everyone is where they're supposed to be on the ice. Did Boeser need to see any time in the AHL? We're looking at the same thing with Hughes. He's just that good and he'll adapt to the game quickly the way he did in the world championship with the US last year.

I hope you're right.. it might be a bit different as a d man, but yeah I doubt he'll be worse than Derek Poolander

3 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

How is your arithmetic? How many years do you think the average university graduate would need to work to earn the money an average NHL player makes in a year? Try thinking about it.

Not to mention, one entry level contract could like... I dunno.... pay for that degree... :rolleyes:

• Cheers 1

20 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

Sign him immediately and figure out that expansion draft later.  

Playing around with college picks is not recommended.  His bro is going to get picked elsewhere, push Quinn off and he could just decide to join his brothers team in 2 years as s college FA.  

Woo is not in the plans for next season and would still have to return to JR.  We will continue to draft usable players and replacing a Hutton at this point wont be hard.  

Much harder than you think, Hutton has become our best defenceman for escaping our own zone. In my opinion, of all our D’s, Hutton probably has the highest trade value now.

5 hours ago, canuckledraggin said:

Hughes provides the possibility of considerable offence to offset against the risk inherent in his style, Pouliot does not.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Much harder than you think, Hutton has become our best defenceman for escaping our own zone. In my opinion, of all our D’s, Hutton probably has the highest trade value now.

Hutton went from being so bad he was un tradable last year, to being an almost untouchable this year. I think we should keep him, but if he’s dealt at least we will get fair value now. 

Edited by messier's_elbow
  • Wat 1