The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

On 1/31/2019 at 5:28 PM, Alflives said:

Letang is really good.  So is Doughty.  So was Keith.  So was Chara.  Great D men make their D core (and goalies) look a lot better than they really are.  These great D also make the forwards look better too.  We have Quinn coming, so he will be our super, elite, generational, great D man.  

Although, I do really like EK too.  If we sign him, then we have two super elite guys!!!

True... although Fleury has continued to look fantastic after his move from Pens...

On 1/31/2019 at 5:32 PM, The Lock said:

Haha You are right that it would be hard to copycat, but one could also point out that if by some miracle we won the draft lottery and drafted Hughes, we'd effectively have done just that in having Pettersson and Hughes as a one-two punch (and having Horvat as the 3rd center would just be ridiculously hard for opposing teams). Boeser would be our Kessel (not a serious comparison before someone whacks me on the head for suggesting that). Hughes would be our Letang. Think about that. ;)

I'm obviously not saying that will happen. What I'm saying is knowing where we stand in the draft later on could have a major impact on who we target come free agency. That being said, Pittsburgh has brought in veteran defense from time to time like Martin, etc.

Would be funny to see that happen though. Can we live in Neverland just once?

Drool.... Although with Gaudette, Sutter and Beagle around as well, maybe either Hughes or Pettersson moves to the wing, keeping Horvat as 2nd C having two dynamite top lines TripB being our 2nd line Wowsa...

Add a free agency top defender to the mix, maybe even Trym, and we are in business for real....

19 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Edler has played great this year....but Hutton is still an upgrade...!

Edler is 32 years old and has just figured it out....finally...the mistakes are fewer, the bad pinches almost not there anymore and the slow feet are being better mitigated by making the right decisions....but he is 32, it's only going to go south from here...

Hutton has made big strides this year and I see no reason that he won't continue to improve, he is 25 years old and just coming into his prime.

A Hughes/ Edler pairing would be a mess in my opinion ...but a Hughes / Hutton pairing may work out well, Ben moves better than Eddie and is the right age to be a role model but not an elder statesman that Quinn feels he has to acquiesce to all the time...aka Edler...

Trade Edler for a first and resign him in the summer if we want too....

Whaaaa?

Hutton has taken some good strides this year, but is not close to Edler IMO.  If anything, Hutton progress has helped lighten the load enough on Edler so he oant making mistakes.

Edler has had some ups and downs so far, but is a work horse.  He has been playing against top lines for 10 years and holds his own.  Ideally he would be our 2nd-3rd d man.  Hutton hasn't taken the mantle away from him and is nowhere near as good at the same age as Edler.  

IMO Hutton has been the guy we have vs the guy we want.  He has truly benefited from Trymakin's sulk and OJ injuries.  He is an okay second pairing guy.  He shouldn't cost alot and we need the depth.  Hughes will push him down shortly and if Hutton becomes our 5 d man then we are in a good spot.  

Also Hughes, Hutton and Edler are all LHD.  They shouldn't be partners.  IMO Hutton should play with Stetcher,  Hughes with Guddy and Edler with Tanev.  

Switch Stecher and Tanev depending on match ups.  Edler Tanev could be a good shur down and I think Hughes could carry Guddy and bring our Guddy's potential.  

Edited by Phat Fingers

8 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

I can’t take you seriously when you talk about how he’s improved this year, but that somehow he absolutely must go south from now on. Who’s to say he won’t continue and improve (even if just slightly) for the next 3-5 years? You literally just admitted he improved at 32, so why does it absolutely have to stop? 

His improvements have been all mental...as you would expect from a 32 year old...he isn't getting faster, hitting harder or any other physical attribute.

So even if the mental side of things continues to improve ...the physical side is heading south, in 3 years time he will be to slow to be effective.

I would love to have him traded at the TDL and then resigned in the off season for 2-3 years at 4M or less ...but giving him a 5-6 year deal now would make me cry....

4 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

Whaaaa?

Hutton has taken some good strides this year, but is not close to Edler IMO.  If anything, Hutton progress has helped lighten the load enough on Edler so he oant making mistakes.

Edler has had some ups and downs so far, but is a work horse.  He has been playing against top lines for 10 years and holds his own.  Ideally he would be our 2nd-3rd d man.  Hutton hasn't taken the mantle away from him and is nowhere near as good at the same age as Edler.  

IMO Hutton has been the guy we have vs the guy we want.  He has truly benefited from Trymakin's sulk and OJ injuries.  He is an okay second pairing guy.  He shouldn't cost alot and we need the depth.  Hughes will push him down shortly and if Hutton becomes our 5 d man then we are in a good spot.  

Also Hughes, Hutton and Edler are all LHD.  They shouldn't be partners.  IMO Hutton should play with Stetcher,  Hughes with Guddy and Edler with Tanev.  

Switch Stecher and Tanev depending on match ups.  Edler Tanev could be a good shur down and I think Hughes could carry Guddy and bring our Guddy's potential.  

Hutton is playing better than Edler did the last 3-4 years....

This year Edler has cleaned up a lot of his bad pinches that lead to goals against ...seemingly every 2nd giveaway....so Edler is playing better this year and while it might not be an aberration, he is still going to be 33 next year and even slower than this year.

Hutton has finally lost the goofy kid attitude and is now a man and is on the upswing ....

Just watch...!

15 hours ago, rekker said:

Ummm. I hope your full of crap JB. If Hughes plays 11 games you will need to protect him leaving one less option for you at the expansion draft. I hope he said that for optics. 

I think that "being worried about it" and being stupid about it are two majorly different things. While JB should not waste any energy being worried he should be intelligent and practical and play Hughes only the max # of games while protecting him in the ED.

Edit: I see agent already said this.

• Cheers 2

13 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

This year Edler has cleaned up a lot of his bad pinches that lead to goals against ...seemingly every 2nd giveaway....so Edler is playing better this year and while it might not be an aberration, he is still going to be 33 next year and even slower than this year.

Hutton has finally lost the goofy kid attitude and is now a man and is on the upswing ....

Just watch...!

Edler has a much better body of work and is a vet in the locker room.  Hutton has turned it around this year, but nearly played himself off the roster after his last two stinker seasons.  

Edler carries the team at times, plays massive minutes and look.at our record without him.  Edler over Hutton all day long, but we dont have to make that choice, we can have both and Hughes and OJ on left side until Edler retires or Trymakin returns and Hutton is likely dealt.  

IMO Hutton is not as good as OJ and Hughes will be.  I also felt that Trymakin out played him when they were here together a few years ago.  

Hutton reminds me of Brent Sopel.  Good player, but replaceable.  

Edited by Phat Fingers
  • Cheers 2

25 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

Edler has a much better body of work and is a vet in the locker room.  Hutton has turned it around this year, but nearly played himself off the roster after his last two stinker seasons.  

Edler carries the team at times, plays massive minutes and look.at our record without him.  Edler over Hutton all day long, but we dont have to make that choice, we can have both and Hughes and OJ on left side until Edler retires or Trymakin returns and Hutton is likely dealt.  

IMO Hutton is not as good as OJ and Hughes will be.  I also felt that Trymakin out played him when they were here together a few years ago.  

Hutton reminds me of Brent Sopel.  Good player, but replaceable.  

Though he’s a leftie, Tryamkin spent most of his games at right D.  If he comes back, in my opinion, he makes a better partner for Hughes than anyone else on the Canucks.  Hutton has come a long way this year, and when we are playing teams that play with high pace and press us hard in our end, he and Stetcher become our two most effective D’s because of their mobility - and for the moment at least, that seems to be the trend of the NHL.

1 hour ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Just watch...!

In terms of potential, Hutton could have value in that regard. However, if you are going to tell me that the player perhaps the most in the dog house last year has been playing better than Edler in the past 4 years, that's really really silly sounding.

I get being high on Hutton and excited for the team, but this is the definition of a gross exaggeration. Hopefully Hutton continues on the upswing, but he's had down years as well and just ignoring that as if it never happened doesn't change that.

• Upvote 1

If Michigan gets knocked out of the playoffs on March 10th and Quinn chooses to turn pro, it's not hard to keep him out of the line up until the 18th. You give him a week to adjust to the speed and learn the systems, play him against Chicago on the 18th which just happens to be the 10th last game of the season.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Lock said:

In terms of potential, Hutton could have value in that regard. However, if you are going to tell me that the player perhaps the most in the dog house last year has been playing better than Edler in the past 4 years, that's really really silly sounding.

I get being high on Hutton and excited for the team, but this is the definition of a gross exaggeration. Hopefully Hutton continues on the upswing, but he's had down years as well and just ignoring that as if it never happened doesn't change that.

That's not what I meant...what I said was that Hutton's play THIS YEAR is better than Edler's play for last year and the previous 2-3 years...NOT that Hutton has been playing better for 3-4 years...

I hope that explains my thought's better...

3 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Though he’s a leftie, Tryamkin spent most of his games at right D.  If he comes back, in my opinion, he makes a better partner for Hughes than anyone else on the Canucks.  Hutton has come a long way this year, and when we are playing teams that play with high pace and press us hard in our end, he and Stetcher become our two most effective D’s because of their mobility - and for the moment at least, that seems to be the trend of the NHL.

I like Trymakin with Hughes.  Guddy is the only real guy ATM and I don't want Hughes getting run.  He is going to make some guys look silly and get retribution.  

Hutton and Stecher look good as pairing, Edler and Stecher look good as pairing, I also like Elder and Guddy.  Hutton.and Guddy is a tire fire, Pouliot with anyone not named Tanev is a train wreck.  

We need depth and Edler is motivated to stay here.  In a reduced role, say second pairing, he would be fantastic.  Trymakin is the wild card and his situation needs be resolved soon.  

1 hour ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

That's not what I meant...what I said was that Hutton's play THIS YEAR is better than Edler's play for last year and the previous 2-3 years...NOT that Hutton has been playing better for 3-4 years...

I hope that explains my thought's better...

Sure, but consistancy is important and needs to be factored. Hutton has had easier assignments as Edler and Tanev take the tougher ones.  That's also telling.  

We need both, but Hutton has some more to prove before he can be considered better than Edler.