The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Everyone knows you need a 1C, a 1D (or close to it), and a 1G to win.

Petey is already a 1C in his first year in the NHL. We have seen how this kid develops at a crazy rate. Imagine his skills in two years when he has more experience and is close to 195 lbs. He will be an elite 1C imo. His will to win is amazing.

We may have a 1G in Demko coming.  And we have Hughes who has a projected high ceiling but we really have no idea right now where he will end up.

I have not watched Dahlin much but I am not sure I would trade Petey for him at this point. In fact, I don't think I would. Although Dahlin will probably be that 1D we really wish we had and he projects to be better than Hughes by most (not some of our real homers though lol).

I am very excited for the next couple of years....:towel:

Was Pettersson the most impactful player in his draft?  Yes.  Hughes will prove the same.  

to win a cup you need to have the next Group of 7, in order of importance:

1C - Pettersson

1D- ? hughes maybe

1G- Markstrom and Demko are real possibilities

2C - Horvat 

1W- Boeser

3C- Gaudette

2D- ?

the right pieces are coming into place, with woo, stech, Hutton, Brisebois, Sautner, tanner, Edler, tryamkin, there is potential for a good d corps, we need to hit a home run this draft and sign a key free agent and then cook our players

???- Pettersson Boeser

???-Horvat  Virtanen

Roussel - Gaudette- Macewan/Granlund/Ericksson

Beagle - Sutter- Motte

Edler Stecher

Hutton Tanev

Hughes Guddy

On 2/19/2019 at 5:31 PM, Alflives said:

So true about Woo.  These kinds of lists are usually for the offensive minded Dmen.  Woo is more of a rock solid guy, who is putting up some decent numbers, but that’s not the only part of his game, or even the best part.

Did we steal a top D man in Woo?  Wasn’t Edler a third rounder?  

Yep, Edler was a third rounder, Bieksa was a fifth rounder, and Tanev was undrafted.

3 hours ago, Canucks Curse said:

to win a cup you need to have the next Group of 7, in order of importance:

1C - Pettersson

1D- ? hughes maybe

1G- Markstrom and Demko are real possibilities

2C - Horvat 

1W- Boeser

3C- Gaudette

2D- ?

the right pieces are coming into place, with woo, stech, Hutton, Brisebois, Sautner, tanner, Edler, tryamkin, there is potential for a good d corps, we need to hit a home run this draft and sign a key free agent and then cook our players

???- Pettersson Boeser

???-Horvat  Virtanen

Roussel - Gaudette- Macewan/Granlund/Ericksson

Beagle - Sutter- Motte

Edler Stecher

Hutton Tanev

Hughes Guddy

It's hard to think of Hughes as a number one D because those tend to be minute crunching Dmen who are strong on both sides of the puck. Along the lines of Doughty or Weber. 

25 minutes ago, Mathew Barzal said:

It's hard to think of Hughes as a number one D because those tend to be minute crunching Dmen who are strong on both sides of the puck. Along the lines of Doughty or Weber. 

Where do you place guys like Yandle, Klingberg etc... I feel like they could be considered number 1s but they aren't super solid in their own end.

6 hours ago, Mathew Barzal said:

We won't know what Hughes can be until next year. I like the idea of Hughes and Stecher as a 1/2 punch. 

7 hours ago, cyoung said:

Where do you place guys like Yandle, Klingberg etc... I feel like they could be considered number 1s but they aren't super solid in their own end.

I think the catch is that not all teams' #1 defencemen are created equal or are directly comparable to other teams' #1 guys.....

Case in point, even when healthy, would you rate our top two d anywhere near SJ/TBL/NSH top two D? 

47 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

I think the catch is that not all teams' #1 defencemen are created equal or are directly comparable to other teams' #1 guys.....

Case in point, even when healthy, would you rate our top two d anywhere near SJ/TBL/NSH top two D? 

Edler's a #2D, Tanev's a 2B/3A (trending evermore towards 3A).

Looking at team's depth charts doesn't tell you a damn thing. Edler would probably fall at #4 or 5 in Nashville's depth chart but 1 or 2 in Toronto (and easily 1 here). Rate the player on their own merit and what other GM's would value them at in trade.

14 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Edler's a #2D, Tanev's a 2B/3A (trending evermore towards 3A).

Looking at team's depth charts doesn't tell you a damn thing. Edler would probably fall at #4 or 5 in Nashville's depth chart but 1 or 2 in Toronto (and easily 1 here). Rate the player on their own merit and what other GM's would value them at in trade.

Not sure why you're quoting me on this, I agree - out depth doesn't rate with other top teams' depth.  That was my point to the other poster. 

3 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Not sure why you're quoting me on this

Was agreeing with you:

1 hour ago, Fanuck said:

It's tiresome explaining the difference between depth charts and player rank/value. A LOT of people don't get it.

You can't take teams with multiple #1D's and #2D's (SJS and NSH in particular) and say things like "Edler wouldn't even be in their top 4, therefore he's at best like a #4D...derp"

3 hours ago, Fanuck said:

Ya but our top two 2 are at best top4s 

We currently do not have a #1.

5 hours ago, Boudrias said:

We won't know what Hughes can be until next year. I like the idea of Hughes and Stecher as a 1/2 punch. 

Great, a tandem of garden gnomes defending lol I'm kidding, but really, I think Hughes needs to play with a responsible defensive Dman with decent size (eg. Tanev?)

What could be interesting is seeing how other teams defend against Hughes when he comes here in a few weeks. Could be similar to Pettersson where they don't really know how this kid plays and his tendencies. They'll find out soon enough. Pettersson has impressed throughout the league and is now the Calder favourite. I think Hughes is going to make a splash. Not necessarily goals, but incredible skating, vision and setting up plays.

22 minutes ago, cyoung said:

Haha well im sure you know what I mean when I say that. 

I do know what you mean, but what you mean is based on a flawed premise. 

there are 31 #1 defencemen in the nhl. alex edler is an average one. is he a franchise defenceman? nope. but he munches minutes, plays reliably in every situation, and makes whoever is paired with him better. 

Edited by tas
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

Just now, tas said:

there are 31 #1 defencemen in the nhl. Alex edler is an average one. is he a franchise defenceman? nope. but he munches minutes, plays reliably in every situation, and makes whoever is paired with him better. 

How about a top pair of Edler and EK?  Then would could have Hutton and Stecher as our second pair.  Hughes could play third pair with Guddy.  when OJ is ready (likely by Christmas) he could fill in for Guddy, and Guddy drops to the 7 spot.  With injuries we have Brisebois, and Sautner read  to fill in too.  I guess Bulldog would be in the mix as that extra guy, who comes in for some games as needed, but never EVER plays regularly. 

45 minutes ago, tas said:

there are 31 #1 defencemen in the nhl. alex edler is an average one. is he a franchise defenceman? nope. but he munches minutes, plays reliably in every situation, and makes whoever is paired with him better. 

Ya but we have different opinions because we are looking at it in a different way. I get what you mean. I love Edler but imo we can't win it all if he's our best. Hopefully Hughes can be our guy but he's probably a few years off.

21 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Everyone knows you need a 1C, a 1D (or close to it), and a 1G to win.

Petey is already a 1C in his first year in the NHL. We have seen how this kid develops at a crazy rate. Imagine his skills in two years when he has more experience and is close to 195 lbs. He will be an elite 1C imo. His will to win is amazing.

We may have a 1G in Demko coming.  And we have Hughes who has a projected high ceiling but we really have no idea right now where he will end up.

I have not watched Dahlin much but I am not sure I would trade Petey for him at this point. In fact, I don't think I would. Although Dahlin will probably be that 1D we really wish we had and he projects to be better than Hughes by most (not some of our real homers though lol).

I am very excited for the next couple of years....:towel:

Our one, two, three punch down the middle could be something special.  The Horvat Petey Combo is ideal when you look forward a few years.  

• Like 1