The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

32 minutes ago, cyoung said:

I think on a contending team, Edler would be an ideal 2nd pairing.

Again, that's a bit (not entirely as I agree, they're better players) like saying Ekholm/Subban are an 'ideal' 2nd pairing.

For now, he's a solid #2, 1st pairing D. He very well could trend down to 2nd pair as he ages. Or if we're fortunate enough that he remains a #2 and we have the luxury of two better D that push him to 2nd pair ... Well we're laughing.

Quinn will not be going to Vancouver until at least March 10th. If UM wins the best of 3 Vancouver will have to wait till the 16th which is the semis, and if UM advances to the finals that’ll be on the 23rd. If UM wins that, the. Vancouver will have to wait until around April since that means UM will be in the NCAA tournament. If they lose at any point in that stretch Quinn will be coming to Vancouver. 

I'm definitely not going to cheer for UM to lose so hopefully he goes to Vancouver as late as possible :towel:

Edited by Grape
  • Upvote 3

19 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Having the defensemen up top switch spots after the puck goes down low for a strong side one timer is becoming more and more popular. I saw Brannstrom score twice with that play at the WJC. With the way Hughes' shot is improving and his ability to move laterally across the blue line, he might even be able to pull that off at even strength. 

That shot goes in ...every time in the NHL as well...the goalie had to track back from his right side and the shot was top left corner and moving along at a good enough clip to beat Price or anyone else for that matter.

Coming to rink near you...nearly now...!

Super excited to watch him play soon like all of you guys are. I grew up watching the Canucks during the WCE era and I don't think we've ever had a defenceman quite as skilled or unique as Hughes. And not with this kind of anticipation for as as long as I can remember at least.

F**k tempering expectations.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Seinfeld said:

Super excited to watch him play soon like all of you guys are. I grew up watching the Canucks during the WCE era and I don't think we've ever had a defenceman quite as skilled or unique as Hughes. And not with this kind of anticipation for as as long as I can remember at least.

F**k tempering expectations.

I’ve bedn watching our guys since day one, and watched lots of hockey before that.  I’ve not seen a D man with Quinn's offensive skill set since Orr.  

• Upvote 3

14 hours ago, Seinfeld said:

Love it. Dream big for our guys. Where's the fun in playing it safe?

Exactly!  Petey has skills that cause people to relate him to Gretzky.  Quinn's offence puck skills and skating cause me (and others) to relate him to Orr.  Petey is not Gretzky, and Quinn is not Orr, but they both play in ways that remind some of those two greats.  

With the puck Quinn is definitely like Orr.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2