Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Fanuck said:

Ideally yes, 9gms then protect his ELC status, but I can't see JB doing that.

Hughes either turns pro at the end of Michigan's season and plays the reminder of the season with the Canucks - regardless of whether he burns his ELC year or not - or he doesn't turn pro at all this year.  That's just how I see it though, maybe JB has some sort of plan for Hughes we don't know about?  In the past JB has shown he's not afraid to move on from guys either from trades and/or waivers so I don't see him taking extra steps just to protect one possible player from expansion. 

 

Michigan isn't ranked in the top 16 NCAA teams so if I understand their system correctly, Hughes may be eligible to sign as soon as the 2nd week of March (if they're not included in the Frozen Four tournament).  The more I think about it, the more it seems the Quads trade was related (in part) to JB knowing something about Hughes coming here sooner rather than later. 

 

But I'll admit, with JB it's hard to tell what his direction is.  He keeps saying build through the draft, stay the course, but he hasn't been going out of his way collecting extra picks either so.....

Again:

 

15 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Plays even one game and he burns a year off ELC. Has to play 10+ to be elligible for expansion draft though. So ideally we play him 9 or less so he burns the year (makes player happy, gets him some experience so he knows what to expect next year) but keeps him under the threshold for needing an expansion slot.

The ELC isn't the issue. A year is getting burned short of Michigan going on a tear and winning it all and him basically being unavailable to the Canucks (unlikely).

 

The expansion draft is the part that matters. Has to play 9 or less games to not require protection.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Plays even one game and he burns a year off ELC. Has to play 10+ to be elligible for expansion draft though. So ideally we play him 9 or less so he burns the year (makes player happy, gets him some experience so he knows what to expect next year) but keeps him under the threshold for needing an expansion slot.

Do you know the rules if they make the playoffs?

 

Do playoff games count towards expansion elligability

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Again:

 

The ELC isn't the issue. A year is getting burned short of Michigan going on a tear and winning it all and him basically being unavailable to the Canucks (unlikely).

 

The expansion draft is the part that matters. Has to play 9 or less games to not require protection.

That's what what I was referring to, but didn't obviously state correctly. 

 

I don't see JB/Green playing games with (no pun intended) Hughes.  If he signs here immediately after the NCAA season is done - then I see Hughes playing every game he's healthy for that the Canucks can get him into.  I don't see them picking and choosing which games he plays, or making him practice with the team for two weeks before playing or whatever the case may be, in order to keep him at the 9gm threshold. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

I dont see your point with Seattle.

 

I do understand that Boeser would demand more money after three successful seasons as opposed to just two.  I get that he will probably earn a little less because Benning burned the first year....

 

... is what I would like to believe.  Benning is a mercurial GM.  Sometimes he is really good and sometimes he just isn't.  If burning the first years of Boeser and Hughes means we save a bit of money when we re-sign them to 8-year big boy contracts, then that's a win.  But it has to make a difference or otherwise the first years were burned for no reason.

Times have changed and college prospects need soft handling...  in Boesers case, it allowed him to earn some cash and help out his family.  Quinn might have similar needs.  Plus it's not like we cant use his services.  

 

These moves can help down the road with other contracts and establish a long mutual relationship.  It might not work everytime, but I see no issue in being a players GM during a rebuild/building a team.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Wanless said:

Do you know the rules if they make the playoffs?

 

Do playoff games count towards expansion elligability

 

I believe they do. I also don't believe that will be an issue :lol:

 

4 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

That's what what I was referring to, but didn't obviously state correctly. 

 

I don't see JB/Green playing games with (no pun intended) Hughes.  If he signs here immediately after the NCAA season is done - then I see Hughes playing every game he's healthy for that the Canucks can get him into.  I don't see them picking and choosing which games he plays, or making him practice with the team for two weeks before playing or whatever the case may be, in order to keep him at the 9gm threshold. 

Disagree. There's only going to be 13 games IIRC (at the most) left if his season ends at the earliest point possible. Probably closer to 10 when it actually ends.

 

And I doubt they'd have him play without ANY practice time with the coaches/players/systems.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fanuck said:

That's what what I was referring to, but didn't obviously state correctly. 

 

I don't see JB/Green playing games with (no pun intended) Hughes.  If he signs here immediately after the NCAA season is done - then I see Hughes playing every game he's healthy for that the Canucks can get him into.  I don't see them picking and choosing which games he plays, or making him practice with the team for two weeks before playing or whatever the case may be, in order to keep him at the 9gm threshold. 

Do you not remember Horvat, Virtanen and McCann’s management for the chl 9 game threshold? I doubt Hughes plays enough to become expansion eligible. JB knows what he’s doing. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Do you not remember Horvat, Virtanen and McCann’s management for the chl 9 game threshold? I doubt Hughes plays enough to become expansion eligible. JB knows what he’s doing. 

I read here that the rules are different for Hughes' circumstance than those you mentioned though.  All Hughes has to do is sign and play one game with us, and it burns a full year off his ELC, and makes him eligible for the Seattle expansion draft.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I read here that the rules are different for Hughes' circumstance than those you mentioned though.  All Hughes has to do is sign and play one game with us, and it burns a full year off his ELC, and makes him eligible for the Seattle expansion draft.  

I think the rules are different (don't know in what way) because  he's turning 20 years old this calendar year whereas Horvat, Virtanen, and McCann were all younger and coming of the CHL rather than college

Link to post
Share on other sites

Are players with NTCs exempt from the expansion draft and are they excluded from the protection list?

 

If so, then give Pettersson and Boeser NTCs with their next contract. I don't want these guys going anywhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I read here that the rules are different for Hughes' circumstance than those you mentioned though.  All Hughes has to do is sign and play one game with us, and it burns a full year off his ELC, and makes him eligible for the Seattle expansion draft.  

Prospects

All players with fewer than three years of professional experience are automatically exempt from selection. This also includes unsigned draft picks, and signed players that have yet to play a game.

A year of professional experience is 10 professional games played under a NHL contract, including regular season and playoffs. For players who are aged 18 or 19* (on Sept. 15th of a given season), those specifically have to be NHL games. Everybody else it can be any league, as long as it’s under an NHL contract.

*The exception is a “19-year-old” player who turns 20 between September 16th and December 31st, and signed their first contract that same calendar year. For those players all games under an NHL contract count, no matter what league.

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Are players with NTCs exempt from the expansion draft and are they excluded from the protection list?

 

If so, then give Pettersson and Boeser NTCs with their next contract. I don't want these guys going anywhere.

Players with NMC must have protection spots used on them whether you want to protect them or not.

 

 NTC don't affect the expansion draft status

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Prospects

All players with fewer than three years of professional experience are automatically exempt from selection. This also includes unsigned draft picks, and signed players that have yet to play a game.

A year of professional experience is 10 professional games played under a NHL contract, including regular season and playoffs. For players who are aged 18 or 19* (on Sept. 15th of a given season), those specifically have to be NHL games. Everybody else it can be any league, as long as it’s under an NHL contract.

*The exception is a “19-year-old” player who turns 20 between September 16th and December 31st, and signed their first contract that same calendar year. For those players all games under an NHL contract count, no matter what league.

Does that mean if he only plays 9 or the remaining 13 games after joining the team he is ineligible for the expansion draft?

  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Does that mean if he only plays 9 or the remaining 13 games after joining the team he is ineligible for the expansion draft?

That's my question too.  I remember us going through this vary scenario a month ago, and someone posted Hughes (because of his age, and circumstance) only needed to play one game to burn a year, and - therefore - be eligible for the coming expansion draft.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/17/2019 at 11:51 AM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Biech has said basically the same thing as me, regarding Hughes and expansion, in several previous articles:

 

https://theathletic.com/702802/2018/12/10/projecting-who-the-canucks-will-protect-in-the-seattle-expansion-draft-version-1-0/

 

https://theathletic.com/639815/2018/11/09/taking-measure-of-how-the-canucks-might-approach-the-expansion-draft/

 

https://canucksarmy.com/2018/03/27/gaudette-dahlen-and-the-expansion-draft/

 

Basically, a professional year is 10 or more NHL games when you’re talking about 18 and 19 year olds.

 

But for age 20 and over, a professional year is a single game or more played in a pro league while under contract for that season.

 

Hughes, if signed to a 2018-19 SPC (ELC) in 2019, will be considered “age 20” because he turns 20 in calendar 2019.

 

Age here is determined using rules that are similar to those used to determine slide eligibility. Since Hughes will turn 20 before the end of calendar 2019, he would be deemed “age 20” for any contract signed in 2019. And so he’d be an “age 20 or older player,” when it comes to expansion and professional years, should he sign and play at the end of the 2018-19 season (even though he’d only be 19 years old at the time).

 

Should Hughes appear in a single pro game this seaon, while under contract, then 2018-19 will be considered his first professional year.

 

This is why Biech has Hughes on the protected list for his mock expansion draft. Assuming he signs at the end of this season, and gets a few games played in Vancouver, then he’ll be expansion draft eligible and need to be protected.

 

We know from the last expansion draft when players like Kyle Baun (and age 20 or over player) were eligible for the draft. Baun burned his first professional year from playing only 3 games for Chicago at the end of 2014-15, after leaving college to go pro.

@SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME posted back January that one game by Quinn this season, and that makes him eligible for the Seattle Draft. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Where's Wellwood said:

Players with NMC must have protection spots used on them whether you want to protect them or not.

 

 NTC don't affect the expansion draft status

Oh, well then that's not helpful to the Canucks. I can see Edler pushing hard for a NMC, just so he doesn't get snagged by SEA. C'mon Eddie, it's only a 3 hour drive lol

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

That is wrong information Alfie, read what I posted in response to you, that is from the NHL expansion draft rules...

Thanks, 10 games does appear to be the rule for a professional season. Sitting Hughes 4 out of 13 shouldn't be hard, as long as Benning doesn't chase an uncatchable playoff spot and screw over the future.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

That is wrong information Alfie, read what I posted in response to you, that is from the NHL expansion draft rules...

That's good. Thanks for the clarification.  I'm glad Quinn will be exempted from the Seattle draft.  I thought Boeser and Gaudette played less than 10 games, and still got a full year off their ELCs.  Am I confusing burning a year off an ELC with the Expansion rules?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...