The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

Lol at some of the thoughts on here....let the kid come and see how he adapts to playing in the NHL. Ive read posts on Dahlin being crappy so im wondering how they will think of Hughes. This will be his first time competing at this level and with a team thats fighting without a cause (playoffs). Dont expect miracles, just try and see details and how things might be if what is needed falls into place. Huge expectations from everyone, but i mean seriously its sooo much harder to come into the league as a Dman and becoming established. I dont have any other expectations on him other then that his passing play should be above average. Thats it. Much needed for the teams D.....

• Upvote 1

I'm one of the biggest Hughes fans there is, but playing him in more than 10 games (assuming that's the magic number) this year would be incredibly shortsighted. I don't think Benning will do that (he sat Motte last year to preserve is waiver status) especially now with his injury, but it would suck if it happened. 

• Upvote 1

This will be a major factor in whether or not I continue to support Benning moving forward.

It seems unfathomable that they would let him play 11 games and risk losing someone else come the expansion. It's an easy, free, get-outta-jail, protect an extra D card.

13 games left for the Canucks - should be easy to sit him for 2 or 3..... Now, should the Canucks go 13 and 0 in the next dozen then it's a whole different matter! :o

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Mrwipeout said:

Lol at some of the thoughts on here....let the kid come and see how he adapts to playing in the NHL. Ive read posts on Dahlin being crappy so im wondering how they will think of Hughes. This will be his first time competing at this level and with a team thats fighting without a cause (playoffs). Dont expect miracles, just try and see details and how things might be if what is needed falls into place. Huge expectations from everyone, but i mean seriously its sooo much harder to come into the league as a Dman and becoming established. I dont have any other expectations on him other then that his passing play should be above average. Thats it. Much needed for the teams D.....

Hughes will be a far superior player to Dahlin.  OJ is very similar to Dahlin.  Hughes is a phenom

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Hughes will be a far superior player to Dahlin.  OJ is very similar to Dahlin.  Hughes is a phenom

Well.....i will quote u on that and hope u will be right, coz that would be like a godsent miracle appearing for the D on this team. Dont pressure the kid too much, hes young. jesis...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SingleThorn said:

Even CapFriendly is misspelling his name ! Quintin it is !

Yeah most places had him listed as Quinton for awhile.

I can see that his own email clearly lists him as Quintin Hughes so that's how I'm sure of it :lol:

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

I have been saying this since the draft, I am on record as saying Dhalin is not the best offensive defenseman in this draft. Before we got Hughes!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

I'm one of the biggest Hughes fans there is, but playing him in more than 10 games (assuming that's the magic number) this year would be incredibly shortsighted. I don't think Benning will do that (he sat Motte last year to preserve is waiver status) especially now with his injury, but it would suck if it happened. 

I'll say it straight... if Canuck were to end up having to protect him from the expansion due to him playing too many games at this stage of the season, JB should be fired for incompetence .... And I'm a huge fan of JB... It would simply be an unacceptable way to manage your resources...

In saying that, I can't for the life of me see that being the case.... 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Very unlikely scenario, but what if.....

...Hughes joins the team, and they start winning. Their PP is on fire (might need cream for that lol), their goal production is up, teams aren't sure how to handle the elusive speedy Quin. They're winning games, and suddenly they're in the playoff discussion again.  Say Hughes has played his 10 games and the Canucks hold the last Wildcard spot. Do they sit Hughes for the rest of the season? I would still hope so. 

7 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Very unlikely scenario, but what if.....

...Hughes joins the team, and they start winning. Their PP is on fire (might need cream for that lol), their goal production is up, teams aren't sure how to handle the elusive speedy Quin. They're winning games, and suddenly they're in the playoff discussion again.  Say Hughes has played his 10 games and the Canucks hold the last Wildcard spot. Do they sit Hughes for the rest of the season? I would still hope so. 

Playing devils advocate, are we...? But yes this is actually a great question... I'll admit, I sure don't hope, we get into a situation like that. Have finally come to terms with the fact this team needs more seasoning, and I'd like us to be in on the sweepstakes on a top 3 pick.

Even with rotten odds, as we are all aware, we are not ready to do battle yet.

Edited by spook007