The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

On 3/10/2019 at 7:41 AM, SingleThorn said:

Probably wise to have QH start his NHL career on the road. Lessen the over hyped expectations a bit ! Miss the first two games to practise team systems, Dallas/ Chicago on the road, then Ottawa as first home game. He will have to sit out at least 3 games to help out with the Seattle ED, so might as well ease him in !

52 minutes ago, wildwood12 said:

My guess that Quinn’s first game is next week in Dallas. That’s where he was drafted, that’s where his mother was raised.

He also needs time to practice with the team and heal his bruised foot.

Sorry to quote myself, but it's not often a poster agrees with me. Still think that this is the way to go. Many would find this too anal, but it works on all levels !

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Not a fan of burning a year of ELC especially if he's injured for most of it.

Seems a waste of cap management. He could have done another year of college rather than Utica. 

Not sure if he's NHL ready, the long season with pro's.

It's likely that his agent held all the cards in this situation. He just has to say "Look, sign him now and burn a year of ELC so we can get to the big money faster OR we don't sign and wait for August 15th in two years."

It would not surprise me if this was a common tactic among agents with college clients. The potential loss of a first round pick for nothing is enough to ante up the money to burn a year of ELC.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, fogducker said:

It's likely that his agent held all the cards in this situation. He just has to say "Look, sign him now and burn a year of ELC so we can get to the big money faster OR we don't sign and wait for August 15th in two years."

It would not surprise me if this was a common tactic among agents with college clients. The potential loss of a first round pick for nothing is enough to ante up the money to burn a year of ELC.

I would expect all top College kids have that hammer.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, fogducker said:

For sure the agent and player have that hammer but in the case of the Canucks, they have been clear they want to get a look at what they have in Hughes which will help them in any moves they need to make before next season.  Hughes has been clear that he is excited to be a Canuck and likes the opportunity that exists with their group.  I don't think hard-ball was played by either party.  It just makes sense with the condition of our D group, to get Hughes exposed to the NHL as soon as possible.  If we had an established, successful and deep D core, perhaps it would be a different discussion.

• Cheers 2

14 hours ago, Alflives said:

Hughes will be a far superior player to Dahlin.  OJ is very similar to Dahlin.  Hughes is a phenom

Alf...

Layoff the comparisons for Hughes.  He is a very exciting player and he has some exceptional strengths.  It is my expectation that he will be a tonic for this team, but let Hughes be Hughes.  

Dahlin is a heckuva player and we would all be excited to have him on our roster.   Let's just hope that we somehow got the steals of the draft in Hughes at 7, Woo in the 2nd round and Madden.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I was thinking his Shot is looking a whole lot better...both the slapper and the wrister....

Here is an excerpt from Steven Ellis of the Hockey News;

Hughes is known to be a risk-taker, someone who likes to go end-to-end with the puck and isn’t afraid to get creative to beat an opponent in a one-on-one situation. And though he isn’t a big defender, he’s a smart one. He was able to adapt to his role as a depth defender with USA’s World Championship team and didn’t struggle as a key member of back-to-back World Junior Championship teams, either. Even when he would make a more risky play, he typically would find a way to make up for it and wouldn’t put a teammate in a dangerous situation just to make a pass. The Canucks could use him immediately on the power play, and his heavy shot looks NHL ready.

• Upvote 2

58 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

I was thinking his Shot is looking a whole lot better...both the slapper and the wrister....

Hughes is known to be a risk-taker, someone who likes to go end-to-end with the puck and isn’t afraid to get creative to beat an opponent in a one-on-one situation. And though he isn’t a big defender, he’s a smart one. He was able to adapt to his role as a depth defender with USA’s World Championship team and didn’t struggle as a key member of back-to-back World Junior Championship teams, either. Even when he would make a more risky play, he typically would find a way to make up for it and wouldn’t put a teammate in a dangerous situation just to make a pass. The Canucks could use him immediately on the power play, and his heavy shot looks NHL ready.

I don't have a clue why people focus so much on his shot.  He never was, will be or is Weber blasting bombs from the point.  He's the guy who makes everyone else on the ice dangerous because of his skating, passing, and vision.  When a guy like Hughes has the puck, defenders get very, very nervous because they don't know what's coming at them - pass, shot, skate right by you......if anything, I'd be much more concerned about his ability to withstand the physicality of the NHL forwards and the sheer pace modern NHL systems put on defencemen with their forechecks.  I know, people will point out how effective he was at the World championships but that was against inferior (to the NHL anyway) competition and on a larger ice surface.  The average size of an NHL forward is 6'1" and 200lbs - Hughes is listed at 5'10 175lbs - I don't care what anyone says that's a disadvantage he's going to have to figure out, and soon. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Dahlin is the best defenceman to come out of the draft in a long time.  Could end up being a generational talent.  Hughes is not comparable because Dahlin has an overall game that Hughes does not possess.

Hughes however has one quality we desperately need on the back end and that is as a PMD and a QB on the power play.  This is where Hughes will make a huge contribution.  Dahlin is like 6"3' and a solid 200+ pounds.  He will be a force and a top D in this league for a long time playing in all situations.  We can hope that Hughes turns into an elite PMD and quarterbacks our PP for the next decade.

Some people said the same about Harvey and Orr.  "Oh they only play one end of the ice."  Quinn Hughes is a far superior player to Mr. No defense, and makes a million mistakes on the wrong side of the puck, Dahlin.

Quinn will quickly make six teams, who passed him over, feel very foolish.  Those teams' fans will want the heads of the GM's for making such a terrible mistake.  Quinn is the MAN!!!! Go Quinn Go!!!  :towel:

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

I don't have a clue why people focus so much on his shot.  He never was, will be or is Weber blasting bombs from the point.  He's the guy who makes everyone else on the ice dangerous because of his skating, passing, and vision.  When a guy like Hughes has the puck, defenders get very, very nervous because they don't know what's coming at them - pass, shot, skate right by you......if anything, I'd be much more concerned about his ability to withstand the physicality of the NHL forwards and the sheer pace modern NHL systems put on defencemen with their forechecks.  I know, people will point out how effective he was at the World championships but that was against inferior (to the NHL anyway) competition and on a larger ice surface.  The average size of an NHL forward is 6'1" and 200lbs - Hughes is listed at 5'10 175lbs - I don't care what anyone says that's a disadvantage he's going to have to figure out, and soon. 

:rolleyes:

He's got 10 games this year and an off-season to put on some weight. He's not going to be 175lbs forever. I expect him to be at least 180lbs by next September and he'll continue to grow from there as the years come.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Some people said the same about Harvey and Orr.  "Oh they only play one end of the ice."  Quinn Hughes is a far superior player to Mr. No defense, and makes a million mistakes on the wrong side of the puck, Dahlin.

Quinn will quickly make six teams, who passed him over, feel very foolish.  Those teams' fans will want the heads of the GM's for making such a terrible mistake.  Quinn is the MAN!!!! Go Quinn Go!!!  :towel:

Haha Alfie, comparing Quinn to two of the greatest defencemen ever!!  ::D

Bobby Orr was actually a very physical player, he used to lay out guys.  He was also very good defensively.  He was also a good fighter.  Here are some highlights of Orr laying out guys and pounding them over with his fists and also blocking shots.  As Don Cherry stated, Bobby Orr could do it all...

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Bobby Orr was actually a very physical player, he used to lay out guys.  He was also very good defensively.  He was also a good fighter.  Here are some highlights of Orr laying out guys and pounding them over with his fists and also blocking shots.  As Don Cherry stated, Bobby Orr could do it all...

That was a pretty cool reel

Thanks

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Very unlikely scenario, but what if.....

...Hughes joins the team, and they start winning. Their PP is on fire (might need cream for that lol), their goal production is up, teams aren't sure how to handle the elusive speedy Quin. They're winning games, and suddenly they're in the playoff discussion again.  Say Hughes has played his 10 games and the Canucks hold the last Wildcard spot. Do they sit Hughes for the rest of the season? I would still hope so. 

The Canucks won't make the playoffs. Look at their current odds:

canuck chance to make playoffs.PNG

So their chances to make the playoffs / wildcard spot sit at 0.7%.  Not gonna happen no matter what Quinn does.

So we don't have to worry even a little bit the team plays him more than 10 games. And as other posters have said, if JB does that he should be fired.

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

I know, people will point out how effective he was at the World championships but that was against inferior (to the NHL anyway) competition and on a larger ice surface.

On a larger and sometimes less physical ice surface, yes. Inferior, no. I guarantee that Canadas and Swedens rosters from 2018 would have no trouble embarrassing the current Canucks for example. Canada had forwards like McDavid, Barzal, O'Reilly etc. and a certain Bo Horvat on the 3rd/4th line.

Anyhow - that bodes well for QH then ;-)

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I totally agree, and so was Harvey.  Yet experts said, before their careers, that both were not going to succeed in the NHL, because they skated into the offensive zone too much.  Quinn Hughes is very similar to both Harvey and Orr.  He carries the puck like they did.  Plus, Quinn is hyper compete (as evidenced by his now swollen ankle from blocking a shot).  He will definitely be an excellent defensive player too.  He will study fighting so he can pound the crap out of guys as well.  Quinn Hughes is a special player, who will soon be here, for us to watch lead us to Cups!!!  :towel:

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

to me that sounds like someone who hasn't really watched him play.  He has a heavy shot, for a player in bantam.

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

no one said that about Orr, he was a complete player with a very deep mean streak

• Like 1