Sign in to follow this  
-Vintage Canuck-

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Hughes will be a far superior player to Dahlin.  OJ is very similar to Dahlin.  Hughes is a phenom

Well.....i will quote u on that and hope u will be right, coz that would be like a godsent miracle appearing for the D on this team. Dont pressure the kid too much, hes young. jesis...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SingleThorn said:

Even CapFriendly is misspelling his name ! Quintin it is !

Yeah most places had him listed as Quinton for awhile.

I can see that his own email clearly lists him as Quintin Hughes so that's how I'm sure of it :lol:

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

Hughes will be a far superior player to Dahlin.  OJ is very similar to Dahlin.  Hughes is a phenom

I have been saying this since the draft, I am on record as saying Dhalin is not the best offensive defenseman in this draft. Before we got Hughes!

• Like 1
  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

Welcome to the show TinTin!!  now could we please for the sake of all that is righteous not stifle this kids natural god-given talents.  I wanna watch this boy soar.

• Thanks 1

My guess that Quinn’s first game is next week in Dallas. That’s where he was drafted, that’s where his mother was raised.

He also needs time to practice with the team and heal his bruised foot.

14 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

I'm one of the biggest Hughes fans there is, but playing him in more than 10 games (assuming that's the magic number) this year would be incredibly shortsighted. I don't think Benning will do that (he sat Motte last year to preserve is waiver status) especially now with his injury, but it would suck if it happened. 

I'll say it straight... if Canuck were to end up having to protect him from the expansion due to him playing too many games at this stage of the season, JB should be fired for incompetence .... And I'm a huge fan of JB... It would simply be an unacceptable way to manage your resources...

In saying that, I can't for the life of me see that being the case.... 

• Like 1
  • Hydration 1

Very unlikely scenario, but what if.....

...Hughes joins the team, and they start winning. Their PP is on fire (might need cream for that lol), their goal production is up, teams aren't sure how to handle the elusive speedy Quin. They're winning games, and suddenly they're in the playoff discussion again.  Say Hughes has played his 10 games and the Canucks hold the last Wildcard spot. Do they sit Hughes for the rest of the season? I would still hope so. 

7 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Very unlikely scenario, but what if.....

...Hughes joins the team, and they start winning. Their PP is on fire (might need cream for that lol), their goal production is up, teams aren't sure how to handle the elusive speedy Quin. They're winning games, and suddenly they're in the playoff discussion again.  Say Hughes has played his 10 games and the Canucks hold the last Wildcard spot. Do they sit Hughes for the rest of the season? I would still hope so. 

Playing devils advocate, are we...? But yes this is actually a great question... I'll admit, I sure don't hope, we get into a situation like that. Have finally come to terms with the fact this team needs more seasoning, and I'd like us to be in on the sweepstakes on a top 3 pick.

Even with rotten odds, as we are all aware, we are not ready to do battle yet.

Edited by spook007

On 3/10/2019 at 7:41 AM, SingleThorn said:

Probably wise to have QH start his NHL career on the road. Lessen the over hyped expectations a bit ! Miss the first two games to practise team systems, Dallas/ Chicago on the road, then Ottawa as first home game. He will have to sit out at least 3 games to help out with the Seattle ED, so might as well ease him in !

52 minutes ago, wildwood12 said:

My guess that Quinn’s first game is next week in Dallas. That’s where he was drafted, that’s where his mother was raised.

He also needs time to practice with the team and heal his bruised foot.

Sorry to quote myself, but it's not often a poster agrees with me. Still think that this is the way to go. Many would find this too anal, but it works on all levels !

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

Not a fan of burning a year of ELC especially if he's injured for most of it.

Seems a waste of cap management. He could have done another year of college rather than Utica. 

Not sure if he's NHL ready, the long season with pro's.

8 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Not a fan of burning a year of ELC especially if he's injured for most of it.

Seems a waste of cap management. He could have done another year of college rather than Utica. 

Not sure if he's NHL ready, the long season with pro's.

It's likely that his agent held all the cards in this situation. He just has to say "Look, sign him now and burn a year of ELC so we can get to the big money faster OR we don't sign and wait for August 15th in two years."

It would not surprise me if this was a common tactic among agents with college clients. The potential loss of a first round pick for nothing is enough to ante up the money to burn a year of ELC.

• Like 1
  • Hydration 2

8 minutes ago, fogducker said:

It's likely that his agent held all the cards in this situation. He just has to say "Look, sign him now and burn a year of ELC so we can get to the big money faster OR we don't sign and wait for August 15th in two years."

It would not surprise me if this was a common tactic among agents with college clients. The potential loss of a first round pick for nothing is enough to ante up the money to burn a year of ELC.

I would expect all top College kids have that hammer.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, fogducker said:

For sure the agent and player have that hammer but in the case of the Canucks, they have been clear they want to get a look at what they have in Hughes which will help them in any moves they need to make before next season.  Hughes has been clear that he is excited to be a Canuck and likes the opportunity that exists with their group.  I don't think hard-ball was played by either party.  It just makes sense with the condition of our D group, to get Hughes exposed to the NHL as soon as possible.  If we had an established, successful and deep D core, perhaps it would be a different discussion.

• Hydration 2

14 hours ago, Alflives said:

Alf...

Layoff the comparisons for Hughes.  He is a very exciting player and he has some exceptional strengths.  It is my expectation that he will be a tonic for this team, but let Hughes be Hughes.  

Dahlin is a heckuva player and we would all be excited to have him on our roster.   Let's just hope that we somehow got the steals of the draft in Hughes at 7, Woo in the 2nd round and Madden.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1