-Vintage Canuck-

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

I was thinking his Shot is looking a whole lot better...both the slapper and the wrister....

Here is an excerpt from Steven Ellis of the Hockey News;

Hughes is known to be a risk-taker, someone who likes to go end-to-end with the puck and isn’t afraid to get creative to beat an opponent in a one-on-one situation. And though he isn’t a big defender, he’s a smart one. He was able to adapt to his role as a depth defender with USA’s World Championship team and didn’t struggle as a key member of back-to-back World Junior Championship teams, either. Even when he would make a more risky play, he typically would find a way to make up for it and wouldn’t put a teammate in a dangerous situation just to make a pass. The Canucks could use him immediately on the power play, and his heavy shot looks NHL ready.

• Upvote 2

58 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

I was thinking his Shot is looking a whole lot better...both the slapper and the wrister....

Hughes is known to be a risk-taker, someone who likes to go end-to-end with the puck and isn’t afraid to get creative to beat an opponent in a one-on-one situation. And though he isn’t a big defender, he’s a smart one. He was able to adapt to his role as a depth defender with USA’s World Championship team and didn’t struggle as a key member of back-to-back World Junior Championship teams, either. Even when he would make a more risky play, he typically would find a way to make up for it and wouldn’t put a teammate in a dangerous situation just to make a pass. The Canucks could use him immediately on the power play, and his heavy shot looks NHL ready.

I don't have a clue why people focus so much on his shot.  He never was, will be or is Weber blasting bombs from the point.  He's the guy who makes everyone else on the ice dangerous because of his skating, passing, and vision.  When a guy like Hughes has the puck, defenders get very, very nervous because they don't know what's coming at them - pass, shot, skate right by you......if anything, I'd be much more concerned about his ability to withstand the physicality of the NHL forwards and the sheer pace modern NHL systems put on defencemen with their forechecks.  I know, people will point out how effective he was at the World championships but that was against inferior (to the NHL anyway) competition and on a larger ice surface.  The average size of an NHL forward is 6'1" and 200lbs - Hughes is listed at 5'10 175lbs - I don't care what anyone says that's a disadvantage he's going to have to figure out, and soon. 

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Dahlin is the best defenceman to come out of the draft in a long time.  Could end up being a generational talent.  Hughes is not comparable because Dahlin has an overall game that Hughes does not possess.

Hughes however has one quality we desperately need on the back end and that is as a PMD and a QB on the power play.  This is where Hughes will make a huge contribution.  Dahlin is like 6"3' and a solid 200+ pounds.  He will be a force and a top D in this league for a long time playing in all situations.  We can hope that Hughes turns into an elite PMD and quarterbacks our PP for the next decade.

Some people said the same about Harvey and Orr.  "Oh they only play one end of the ice."  Quinn Hughes is a far superior player to Mr. No defense, and makes a million mistakes on the wrong side of the puck, Dahlin.

Quinn will quickly make six teams, who passed him over, feel very foolish.  Those teams' fans will want the heads of the GM's for making such a terrible mistake.  Quinn is the MAN!!!! Go Quinn Go!!!  :towel:

• Like 1
  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

I don't have a clue why people focus so much on his shot.  He never was, will be or is Weber blasting bombs from the point.  He's the guy who makes everyone else on the ice dangerous because of his skating, passing, and vision.  When a guy like Hughes has the puck, defenders get very, very nervous because they don't know what's coming at them - pass, shot, skate right by you......if anything, I'd be much more concerned about his ability to withstand the physicality of the NHL forwards and the sheer pace modern NHL systems put on defencemen with their forechecks.  I know, people will point out how effective he was at the World championships but that was against inferior (to the NHL anyway) competition and on a larger ice surface.  The average size of an NHL forward is 6'1" and 200lbs - Hughes is listed at 5'10 175lbs - I don't care what anyone says that's a disadvantage he's going to have to figure out, and soon. 

:rolleyes:

He's got 10 games this year and an off-season to put on some weight. He's not going to be 175lbs forever. I expect him to be at least 180lbs by next September and he'll continue to grow from there as the years come.

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

And Quinn has an ankle bruise because he blocks shots.  He's a hockey player, who wants to win, and competes.  There is no Flamingo in Quinn's game.  

• Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Some people said the same about Harvey and Orr.  "Oh they only play one end of the ice."  Quinn Hughes is a far superior player to Mr. No defense, and makes a million mistakes on the wrong side of the puck, Dahlin.

Quinn will quickly make six teams, who passed him over, feel very foolish.  Those teams' fans will want the heads of the GM's for making such a terrible mistake.  Quinn is the MAN!!!! Go Quinn Go!!!  :towel:

Haha Alfie, comparing Quinn to two of the greatest defencemen ever!!  ::D

Bobby Orr was actually a very physical player, he used to lay out guys.  He was also very good defensively.  He was also a good fighter.  Here are some highlights of Orr laying out guys and pounding them over with his fists and also blocking shots.  As Don Cherry stated, Bobby Orr could do it all...

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Bobby Orr was actually a very physical player, he used to lay out guys.  He was also very good defensively.  He was also a good fighter.  Here are some highlights of Orr laying out guys and pounding them over with his fists and also blocking shots.  As Don Cherry stated, Bobby Orr could do it all...

That was a pretty cool reel

Thanks

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Very unlikely scenario, but what if.....

...Hughes joins the team, and they start winning. Their PP is on fire (might need cream for that lol), their goal production is up, teams aren't sure how to handle the elusive speedy Quin. They're winning games, and suddenly they're in the playoff discussion again.  Say Hughes has played his 10 games and the Canucks hold the last Wildcard spot. Do they sit Hughes for the rest of the season? I would still hope so. 

The Canucks won't make the playoffs. Look at their current odds:

canuck chance to make playoffs.PNG

So their chances to make the playoffs / wildcard spot sit at 0.7%.  Not gonna happen no matter what Quinn does.

So we don't have to worry even a little bit the team plays him more than 10 games. And as other posters have said, if JB does that he should be fired.

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

I know, people will point out how effective he was at the World championships but that was against inferior (to the NHL anyway) competition and on a larger ice surface.

On a larger and sometimes less physical ice surface, yes. Inferior, no. I guarantee that Canadas and Swedens rosters from 2018 would have no trouble embarrassing the current Canucks for example. Canada had forwards like McDavid, Barzal, O'Reilly etc. and a certain Bo Horvat on the 3rd/4th line.

Anyhow - that bodes well for QH then ;-)

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I totally agree, and so was Harvey.  Yet experts said, before their careers, that both were not going to succeed in the NHL, because they skated into the offensive zone too much.  Quinn Hughes is very similar to both Harvey and Orr.  He carries the puck like they did.  Plus, Quinn is hyper compete (as evidenced by his now swollen ankle from blocking a shot).  He will definitely be an excellent defensive player too.  He will study fighting so he can pound the crap out of guys as well.  Quinn Hughes is a special player, who will soon be here, for us to watch lead us to Cups!!!  :towel:

• Like 1
  • Hydration 2

1 hour ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

to me that sounds like someone who hasn't really watched him play.  He has a heavy shot, for a player in bantam.

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

no one said that about Orr, he was a complete player with a very deep mean streak

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I totally agree, and so was Harvey.  Yet experts said, before their careers, that both were not going to succeed in the NHL, because they skated into the offensive zone too much.  Quinn Hughes is very similar to both Harvey and Orr.  He carries the puck like they did.  Plus, Quinn is hyper compete (as evidenced by his now swollen ankle from blocking a shot).  He will definitely be an excellent defensive player too.  He will study fighting so he can pound the crap out of guys as well.  Quinn Hughes is a special player, who will soon be here, for us to watch lead us to Cups!!!  :towel:

No offence but sounds like you made up that narrative.

I just went and read a bunch of stuff on Orr as a prospect and did not see anywhere that NHL people did not think he would succeed in the NHL.

Wikipedia:

Orr debuted in junior in the 1962–63 season for the new Generals in the new Metro Junior A League. Orr was only fourteen, competing against eighteen-, nineteen- and twenty-year-olds.

Orr's goal and point totals increased every year during his junior career, and he was named to the OHA First-All Star team every season he was in the OHA. 

Orr joined the Bruins for the 1966–67 season, his first as a professional. The Bruins were not convinced Orr belonged on defence, trying him out at centre first.[32] Through the pre-season, Orr was given jersey number 27. At the season's start, the Bruins offered him jersey number 5, that of past Bruins star Dit Clapper, but Orr chose jersey number 4.[33] Orr made his NHL regular-season debut on October 19, 1966, against the Detroit Red Wings, getting one assist. On October 22, he scored his first NHL goal against the Montreal Canadiens. It was a slap shot past Gump Worsley and the Boston Garden crowd gave Orr a standing ovation.[34]

In that first season, Orr was challenged by the veterans, and he earned respect by defeating Montreal tough guy Ted Harris in his first NHL fight. On December 4, 1966, Toronto Maple Leafs' defenceman Marcel Pronovost checked him into the boards, injuring Orr's knees for the first time in the NHL. He would miss nine games and the Bruins would lose six of them. The team finished with a 17–43–10 record, leaving the Bruins in last place. However, attendance at Boston Garden increased by forty-one thousand fans.[35]

For the season, Orr scored 13 goals and 28 assists, one of the best rookie seasons in NHL history to that point by a defenceman.[36] Orr won the Calder Memorial Trophy as the league's outstanding rookie and was named to the NHL's Second All-Star team.[37] New York Rangers defenceman Harry Howell won the Norris Trophy as the league's best defenceman that year. In accepting the award, Howell said he was glad to win when he did, predicting "Orr will own this trophy from now on."[2] Orr was runner-up in voting.[38]

I read a few more articles too and NOBODY mentions they thought he would not be a player. Come on Alf.

14 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

The Canucks won't make the playoffs. Look at their current odds:

canuck chance to make playoffs.PNG

So their chances to make the playoffs / wildcard spot sit at 0.7%.  Not gonna happen no matter what Quinn does.

So we don't have to worry even a little bit the team plays him more than 10 games. And as other posters have said, if JB does that he should be fired.

you're almost certainly right, but the thing about odds is that they look at the past, not the future. those odds are based on what the canucks have done so far; they have no bearing on what they'll do going forward. they could bust off a 12 game winning streak and the odds will be meaningless. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, tas said:

you're almost certainly right, but the thing about odds is that they look at the past, not the future. those odds are based on what the canucks have done so far; they have no bearing on what they'll do going forward. they could bust off a 12 game winning streak and the odds will be meaningless. 

If the Canucks were sitting with a 15% chance to make the playoffs then I would completely agree with you. That 0.7% chance is basically zero. One other team merely needs to make 1 game a 3 point game and the Canucks are out. They describe it as being mathematically possible but it is really impossible at this time because the canucks could win every game for the rest of the year but it will be other teams that turn that percentage to zero.

They cannot make it. Doesn't matter much anyway. At this point I would rather have the better draft pick then our team getting lit up and destroyed in  the 1st round.

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, tas said:

I agree and I don't give up until they are mathematically out, but the writing is on the wall, without question.

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

And Quinn has an ankle bruise because he blocks shots.  He's a hockey player, who wants to win, and competes.  There is no Flamingo in Quinn's game.  

makes the decision to sit him until there's only 10 games left pretty easy, not that there was any reality to Jim playing him more than that anyway.

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

I agree and I don't give up until they are mathematically out, but the writing is on the wall, without question.

now thats a testament to how crappy the western conference has been this year if I've ever seen one :P

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

No offence but sounds like you made up that narrative.

I just went and read a bunch of stuff on Orr as a prospect and did not see anywhere that NHL people did not think he would succeed in the NHL.

Wikipedia:

Orr debuted in junior in the 1962–63 season for the new Generals in the new Metro Junior A League. Orr was only fourteen, competing against eighteen-, nineteen- and twenty-year-olds.

Orr's goal and point totals increased every year during his junior career, and he was named to the OHA First-All Star team every season he was in the OHA. 

Orr joined the Bruins for the 1966–67 season, his first as a professional. The Bruins were not convinced Orr belonged on defence, trying him out at centre first.[32] Through the pre-season, Orr was given jersey number 27. At the season's start, the Bruins offered him jersey number 5, that of past Bruins star Dit Clapper, but Orr chose jersey number 4.[33] Orr made his NHL regular-season debut on October 19, 1966, against the Detroit Red Wings, getting one assist. On October 22, he scored his first NHL goal against the Montreal Canadiens. It was a slap shot past Gump Worsley and the Boston Garden crowd gave Orr a standing ovation.[34]

In that first season, Orr was challenged by the veterans, and he earned respect by defeating Montreal tough guy Ted Harris in his first NHL fight. On December 4, 1966, Toronto Maple Leafs' defenceman Marcel Pronovost checked him into the boards, injuring Orr's knees for the first time in the NHL. He would miss nine games and the Bruins would lose six of them. The team finished with a 17–43–10 record, leaving the Bruins in last place. However, attendance at Boston Garden increased by forty-one thousand fans.[35]

For the season, Orr scored 13 goals and 28 assists, one of the best rookie seasons in NHL history to that point by a defenceman.[36] Orr won the Calder Memorial Trophy as the league's outstanding rookie and was named to the NHL's Second All-Star team.[37] New York Rangers defenceman Harry Howell won the Norris Trophy as the league's best defenceman that year. In accepting the award, Howell said he was glad to win when he did, predicting "Orr will own this trophy from now on."[2] Orr was runner-up in voting.[38]

I read a few more articles too and NOBODY mentions they thought he would not be a player. Come on Alf.

Even Orr's own dad was skeptical of Bobby playing D.  "Doug Orr, Bobby's dad, had been a speedy player and gifted scorer in his own right. He wanted his son, still small for his age but also enormously talented, to play forward in order to take advantage of his speed and puckhandling abilities."  Same went for Harvey.  D men were supposed to stay back, block shots, and defend.  Harvey and Orr (especially Orr) changed that mindset.

Hughes is going to change the game too.  He's going to roam the ice, and create offence, but from his D spot.  He skates that well, and thinks the game that well too.  

• Like 1
  • Hydration 1

46 minutes ago, tas said:

43 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

If the Canucks were sitting with a 15% chance to make the playoffs then I would completely agree with you. That 0.7% chance is basically zero. One other team merely needs to make 1 game a 3 point game and the Canucks are out. They describe it as being mathematically possible but it is really impossible at this time because the canucks could win every game for the rest of the year but it will be other teams that turn that percentage to zero.

They cannot make it. Doesn't matter much anyway. At this point I would rather have the better draft pick then our team getting lit up and destroyed in  the 1st round.

41 minutes ago, stawns said:

I think everyone's saying the same thing here.....in our hearts we're never out of it until the last game is done.  On paper, it's done already however......

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2