The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

33 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Bobby Orr won the Norris Trophy as a 20 year old in his 2nd year.  Won it another 7 times in a row after that.  He would have won it another 4-5 times if his knees didn't give out.

He was a generational talent from the time he was a teenager.  Not even a comparison to Quinn.  I think Alfie is just playing with you...  :)

Orr was my favourite player until the Great One hit the scene.  I got to watch him several times, though my clearest memories of watching him live came when he was with the Hawks and his knees had completely given out.  He was still very good, but a shell of the player he was in the decade prior.

The irony of comparing Quinn with Orr is that the Quinn, while playing in Van, knocked Orr out cold with a monster hit.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Orr was my favourite player until the Great One hit the scene.  I got to watch him several times, though my clearest memories of watching him live came when he was with the Hawks and his knees had completely given out.  He was still very good, but a shell of the player he was in the decade prior.

The irony of comparing Quinn with Orr is that the Quinn, while playing in Van, knocked Orr out cold with a monster hit.

I was fortunate to watch Orr while he was still in Boston.  I remember watching the 1974 playoffs with my dad on our black and white tv.  Philly beat Boston in the finals as they had a powerhouse team.  But Orr was still amazing in that series.  The difference was Bernie Parent who was all world that series and won the Conn Smythe.  I also watched Orr in the Canada Cup in 1976, and even though he wasn't the same as in prior years he was still dominant in that series and was the tournament MVP. 

I would say that if Orr had healthy knees he would have played in the same era as Gretzky, into the 1980's, which would have been fun to watch.  And he would have won 10-12 Norris trophies and would have shattered all defencemen records and would have definitely become the greatest player of all time.  Gretzky would have been second for sure.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Dahlin is 18 years old.  Whatever defensive issues he has will be rectified.  He is a complete defenceman and is in the running for the Calder.  He will win numerous Norris trophies in the future.

I'd still take Dahlin over Hughes even if Hughes was 6'1".

Well you’d be selecting BY FAR the less impactful of the two players.  Orr was only 5’10.  Dahlin is a fine player, but his level is that of OJ.  Hughes is a phenom.  And I like the Sabres!  

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

I was fortunate to watch Orr while he was still in Boston.  I remember watching the 1974 playoffs with my dad on our black and white tv.  Philly beat Boston in the finals as they had a powerhouse team.  But Orr was still amazing in that series.  The difference was Bernie Parent who was all world that series and won the Conn Smythe.  I also watched Orr in the Canada Cup in 1976, and even though he wasn't the same as in prior years he was still dominant in that series and was the tournament MVP. 

I would say that if Orr had healthy knees he would have played in the same era as Gretzky, into the 1980's, which would have been fun to watch.  And he would have won 10-12 Norris trophies and would have shattered all defencemen records and would have definitely become the greatest player of all time.  Gretzky would have been second for sure.

We'll disagree about Gretzky.  As great as Orr was, Gretzky was light years beyond even him......imo anyway

Just now, Alflives said:

Well you’d be selecting BY FAR the less impactful of the two players.  Orr was only 5’10.  Dahlin is a fine player, but his level is that of OJ.  Hughes is a phenom.  And I like the Sabres!  

Haha, Orr was like 6'0" and a solid 200 pounds.  He was actually big for a defenceman back in the 1960's and 1970's.  

Dahlin is no Juolevi.  Not even in the same category Alfie...  :)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Dahlin is a fine player, but his level is that of OJ.  Hughes is a phenom.  And I like the Sabres!  

Wtf....

That's the worst thing I've ever read in my life and I love serial killer books.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

We'll disagree about Gretzky.  As great as Orr was, Gretzky was light years beyond even him......imo anyway

Gretzky was my favourite player of all time, so I am on the same page with you.  However a healthy Orr playing into his 30's would have shattered all records known to mankind.  As Don Cherry said he was a complete player.  Not to mention he played 8 years with basically bad knees.  I believe he had at least 12 knee operations, maybe more.

6 hours ago, Alflives said:

Even Orr's own dad was skeptical of Bobby playing D.  "Doug Orr, Bobby's dad, had been a speedy player and gifted scorer in his own right. He wanted his son, still small for his age but also enormously talented, to play forward in order to take advantage of his speed and puckhandling abilities."  Same went for Harvey.  D men were supposed to stay back, block shots, and defend.  Harvey and Orr (especially Orr) changed that mindset.

Hughes is going to change the game too.  He's going to roam the ice, and create offence, but from his D spot.  He skates that well, and thinks the game that well too.  

Love it. 

Kinda find it hard to compare him to Orr. But love it just the same. 

Why not, right? 

13 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Alf you do know you can't just lie on the internet and expect people to believe you.  First you state Orr was thought to never be good in the NHL when he was a prospect and now you state he was 5'10".  Just stop. It makes you look *&^%$....no offence.

orr.PNG

Edit: nevermind. I see others already pointed out your made up size of Orr.

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Thanks 3

21 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Have you been eating funny tasting cats again Alf?

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Alf you do know you can't just lie on the internet and expect people to believe you.  First you state Orr was thought to never be good in the NHL when he was a prospect and now you state he was 5'10".  Just stop. It makes you look *&^%$....no offence.

orr.PNG

Edit: nevermind. I see others already pointed out your made up size of Orr.

I met Orr, more than once.  He’s not more than 5’10.  Built like a tank though.  Kind of like Crosby.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I met Orr, more than once.  He’s not more than 5’10.  Built like a tank though.  Kind of like Crosby.   

How old was Orr when you met him Alf? Age and occupation can have a big impact on ones height over time. I was 6'1 1/2 in my 20's and am now 5'11 1/2.

2 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

How old was Orr when you met him Alf? Age and occupation can have a big impact on ones height over time. I was 6'1 1/2 in my 20's and am now 5'11 1/2.

That’s a good point.  I guess with his numerous knee surgeries he could have gotten shorter.  My moments meeting greatness were when Bobby was in his early 40s.  

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

That’s a good point.  I guess with his numerous knee surgeries he could have gotten shorter.  My moments meeting greatness were when Bobby was in his early 40s.  

Considering all the knee surgeries and the wear and tear on the spine from a very physically demanding sport he could have easily lost a few inches but at 40 seems a bit premature for that. Generally more common after one hits the mid century mark.

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

Harvey and then (mostly) Orr changed the way the D played.  Quinn will play that way too.  He's such a phenomenal skater, that he can be in both ends of the ice at the same time!!!  

Hey Alf the way you are talking he won’t need a plane to fly in tomorrow. LOL

11 hours ago, stawns said:

to me that sounds like someone who hasn't really watched him play.  He has a heavy shot, for a player in bantam.

I agree, his shot is actually one of his weaker traits. He's really good at getting them through because he changes a lot of the angles with his skating, but hes blasting muffins out there

5 hours ago, stawns said:

Im a massive Gretzky fan, but I'd take Mario over Wayne any day, best on best. Thats my IMO, but we are splitting hairs here though. Gretz and Super Mario were 1 and 2 in their hay day, and there was everyone else, and it wasn't even remotely close