The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

21 minutes ago, filthycanuck said:

Im a massive Gretzky fan, but I'd take Mario over Wayne any day, best on best. Thats my IMO, but we are splitting hairs here though. Gretz and Super Mario were 1 and 2 in their hay day, and there was everyone else, and it wasn't even remotely close

Image result for super mario bros mario and luigi

7 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

Im a massive Gretzky fan, but I'd take Mario over Wayne any day, best on best. Thats my IMO, but we are splitting hairs here though. Gretz and Super Mario were 1 and 2 in their hay day, and there was everyone else, and it wasn't even remotely close

Wayne made everyone around him better. Mario was a better pure scorer and one on one player, pure hockey sense, ability to see the ice. No chance. Hell,  Mario only came “close” to breaking Wayne’s goal scoring record of 92 goals in a season (he may have if he hadn’t of been hurt), but in reality, Mario couldn’t even match that or come close again. Even on goalscoring ability  (which I’d reluctantly give Mario the. Edge) the stats don’t support it, Wayne scored 92, 87, 73, and 71 as his best. Mario broke 70 only twice. And let’s not forget the pure physical gifts and advantages Mario had over Wayne (and the entire league given his size).

Edited by 40Dangles

12 hours ago, Alflives said:

I met Orr, more than once.  He’s not more than 5’10.  Built like a tank though.  Kind of like Crosby.  

I met Orr in '73. In street shoes he was a tad taller than I at 5'10". He was not 6'. But as you said built like a tank, massive legs. 

memories fade with time but I will always consider Bobby Orr the greatest d-man. Other d-men have had unique skills but Orr had everything. Actually I was a Habs fan so it was not easy to give Orr kudos. I would also suggest that Serge Savard before his leg break was right there with Orr. Paul Coffey's skating made him a very special player. Erik Karlsson is not good enough in his own zone to be in their company.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Canucks have 13 games left and Hughes can only play 10. With his current injury (ankle), I suspect they'll rest him until he's 100%. I doubt he plays this week. My guess is his first game will be at CHI on Monday, and he'll play the last 10 games of the season.

I love his confidence, but it concerns me too. Will he really be ready and impactful right from the start? Perhaps, similar to how Boeser and Pettersson quietly came onto the scene and dominated. It took other teams several games to figure out who these new talented kids were. They know now and Brock and Elias' time and space have evaporated. I expect the same will happen with Hughes. He'll play great for the rest of this year, give Canucks Nation hope, and then next year he'll be on his way. The future is starting to take shape:    

Goldobin - Pettersson - Boeser

_____ - Horvat - Virtanen

Gadjovich - Gaudette - Lind

_____ - Madden - MacEwen

Lockwood

Hughes - _____

Juolevi - Woo

Rathbone - _____

Sautner

Brisebois

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Canucks have 13 games left and Hughes can only play 10. With his current injury (ankle), I suspect they'll rest him until he's 100%. I doubt he plays this week. My guess is his first game will be at CHI on Monday, and he'll play the last 10 games of the season.

I love his confidence, but it concerns me too. Will he really be ready and impactful right from the start? Perhaps, similar to how Boeser and Pettersson quietly came onto the scene and dominated. It took other teams several games to figure out who these new talented kids were. They know now and Brock and Elias' time and space have evaporated. I expect the same will happen with Hughes. He'll play great for the rest of this year, give Canucks Nation hope, and then next year he'll be on his way. The future is starting to take shape:    

Goldobin - Pettersson - Boeser

_____ - Horvat - Virtanen

Gadjovich - Gaudette - Lind

_____ - Madden - MacEwen

Lockwood

Hughes - _____

Juolevi - Woo

Rathbone - _____

Sautner

Brisebois

I like your projected team. 

I prefer Goldy and Jake on their off wings, and i think we are getting Jack Hughes this draft, and signing EK this July 1st.  

Hughes Pettersson Boeser

Madden Bo Goldy

Jake Gaudette Lind

Lockwood Mac _____

EK Hughes

OJ Woo

Rathbone

3 hours ago, 40Dangles said:

Wayne made everyone around him better. Mario was a better pure scorer and one on one player, pure hockey sense, ability to see the ice. No chance. Hell,  Mario only came “close” to breaking Wayne’s goal scoring record of 92 goals in a season (he may have if he hadn’t of been hurt), but in reality, Mario couldn’t even match that or come close again. Even on goalscoring ability  (which I’d reluctantly give Mario the. Edge) the stats don’t support it, Wayne scored 92, 87, 73, and 71 as his best. Mario broke 70 only twice. And let’s not forget the pure physical gifts and advantages Mario had over Wayne (and the entire league given his size).

Depends on what part of their careers your looking at. Did Mario almost score 100? Wayne could score and he did. He could also pass and he did. When Mario and Gretzky were in their primes it was some of the best head to head games I have ever watched. I take Gretzky all day every day. Most points in a season and most goals in a season. Cracked 200 pts 4 times. I am sure its because When Mario was at his best gretzky was already declining. But in the early years Mario chased Gretzky! He never caught Gretzky! But man when Gretzky was against Mario in the early years their was no question who the best player was! 

So 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, 40Dangles said:

Didn't Wayne say in and interview that Mario was the better player.

43 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

Didn't Wayne say in and interview that Mario was the better player.

I recall that he thought they were equally smart and skilled but Mario had 4 inches 40 pounds and abouts foot more reach.

Mario also had the better points per game until his comeback.

1 hour ago, cory40 said:

Depends on what part of their careers your looking at. Did Mario almost score 100? Wayne could score and he did. He could also pass and he did. When Mario and Gretzky were in their primes it was some of the best head to head games I have ever watched. I take Gretzky all day every day. Most points in a season and most goals in a season. Cracked 200 pts 4 times. I am sure its because When Mario was at his best gretzky was already declining. But in the early years Mario chased Gretzky! He never caught Gretzky! But man when Gretzky was against Mario in the early years their was no question who the best player was! 

So 

Gotta look at supporting cast when these feats happened as well.

85-86 Gretz had 215 pts but you had coffey, kurri and anderson all with over 100pts as well vs Mario got 141 pts next closest was mike bullard with 83

87-88 Super Mario  beat Gretz he did have 11 more GP, but again the next nearest player to Marios 168pts was Dan quinn with 79, where Gretz had Messier, Kurri and Anderson still

88-89 when Mario hit 199, Gretz only got 168 and had 2 more games played. Of particular note was Coffey on Pitts.

I think Mario was the better player, he could handle himself if he felt liberties were taken as a bonus. I mean both were friggin amazing but I'd slightly say Mario 60GP with 160Pts in the 90s, Gretzkey needed 78 games to get 168 pts.

Edited by shad0w4life

1 hour ago, shad0w4life said:

85-86 Gretz had 215 pts but you had coffey, kurri and anderson all with over 100pts as well vs Mario got 141 pts next closest was mike bullard with 83

87-88 Super Mario  beat Gretz he did have 11 more GP, but again the next nearest player to Marios 168pts was Dan quinn with 79, where Gretz had Messier, Kurri and Anderson still

88-89 when Mario hit 199, Gretz only got 168 and had 2 more games played. Of particular note was Coffey on Pitts.

I think Mario was the better player, he could handle himself if he felt liberties were taken as a bonus. I mean both were friggin amazing but I'd slightly say Mario 60GP with 160Pts in the 90s, Gretzkey needed 78 games to get 168 pts.

I loved Mario, but he was a full tier down on Gretz when they were both in their prime.  Mario could take a team apart by himself, but Gretzky could do that and make every single player on his team much, much better.  Mario didn't have that same effect.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, stawns said:

I loved Mario, but he was a full tier down on Gretz when they were both in their prime.  Mario could take a team apart by himself, but Gretzky could do that and make every single player on his team much, much better.  Mario didn't have that same effect.

Both Mario and Wayne were phenoms.  Quinn Hughes is a phenom too.  With Pettersson, Brock, and Jack (Hughes) up front, I can see Quinn Hughes getting to 100 points.    

Edited by Alflives
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, cory40 said:

So 

I’m agreeing with you, I’m all gretz all day as the best ever. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, shad0w4life said:

Gretz turned those players into those players. If you were around, not sure if you were, hell I could have played with him and scored 50. The guy literally gave players empty nets to shoot at with his passing. Remember BJ Mcdonald? Lol look up his stats of when he played a Wayne vs when our stupid management traded for him thinking he had real talent lol! Wayne bounced the puck of his own players sticks into the net - it really was more of that than “all of them being greats” 

• Like 1