The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

7 hours ago, 40Dangles said:

Wayne made everyone around him better. Mario was a better pure scorer and one on one player, pure hockey sense, ability to see the ice. No chance. Hell,  Mario only came “close” to breaking Wayne’s goal scoring record of 92 goals in a season (he may have if he hadn’t of been hurt), but in reality, Mario couldn’t even match that or come close again. Even on goalscoring ability  (which I’d reluctantly give Mario the. Edge) the stats don’t support it, Wayne scored 92, 87, 73, and 71 as his best. Mario broke 70 only twice. And let’s not forget the pure physical gifts and advantages Mario had over Wayne (and the entire league given his size).

Mario made everyone better around him too, probably just as good if not more than Wayne. Wayne had perennial hall of famers playing with him, that were still good players even AFTER Gretzky got traded to the Kings, Kurri, Anderson, Tikanen were still pretty good players. Before Jagr, Mario was basically working with guys that just came out of the bus and turned them into 90-100 pt players. Best example? Kevin Stevens. Stevens was probably vying for the best LW in the game alongside Luc Robitaille at that time, Stevens turned into trash as soon as he left Mario's team. Mario was bigger than Wayne, yes, but Wayne had the most important thing going for him, Health. Teams can't exactly key on Gretzkys line because Messier line was pretty good as well, with Mario, teams had to only stop one player from the Penguins. Numerous injuries derailed Lemieux's career. Keep in mind when Lemieux was putting up astronomical numbers in the mid-80s, he was also heavy gamer, a pack and a half smoker and didnt have a clue what a healthy diet was. It wasn't just just about the numbers, its how Lemieux put up those numbers. The most impressive season that Ive ever seen a player play was Mario's I want to say 1994 season?, winning the scoring title after finishing up his treatment from Hodgekins disease!!! Think about that for a second, a guy steps out of the hospital, laces his skates and ends up winning the Art Ross (and Hart?). And by the way, had he played a full season that year, Mario would've broken Gretzkys pts and goals record for the season. I remember watching sportspage everynight trying to find out how many pts Mario scored that night, he'd put up 4-5 on consecutive nights, 2 pts would be a bad game for him.

Like I said, we're both splitting hairs here, on whos better and we're not the only ones that have this debate before. Quite simply put, one game, Gretzky vs Lemieux, best day vs best day with equally skilled linemates, I'd take Mario simply because he has the size and reach because both their hockey IQ are pretty equal. I have over 50 Gretzky cards in my collection, much more than I have of Lemieux's ( I have I think about 15- 20), so im not exactly playing favorites here.

3 hours ago, stawns said:

I loved Mario, but he was a full tier down on Gretz when they were both in their prime.  Mario could take a team apart by himself, but Gretzky could do that and make every single player on his team much, much better.  Mario didn't have that same effect.

I suggest looking at the Penguins rosters pre Jagr and tell me how many future hall of famers you see playing with Mario not named Paul Coffey. Mario turned garbage into gold with those players. He literally turned pylons in to 80-90 pt players

3 hours ago, stawns said:

I loved Mario, but he was a full tier down on Gretz when they were both in their prime.  Mario could take a team apart by himself, but Gretzky could do that and make every single player on his team much, much better.  Mario didn't have that same effect.

He's not a tier down, Mario is at the very least equal to Gretzky. They were in the same level and every other player in the league were 5 notches down.

2 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Maybe a mod could step in to redirect all this no Quinn talk somewhere else?

Maybe.....hello??? lol

Sorry , I thought this was the Dan QUINN thread. hahah yeah lets get more Quinn Hughes stuff here. The Gretzky Lemieux stuff can go for ages. Its a real conversation piece talking about 2 transcendant talents, just like Kobe vs MJ, Tyson vs Ali etc.

1 hour ago, filthycanuck said:

He's not a tier down, Mario is at the very least equal to Gretzky. They were in the same level and every other player in the league were 5 notches down.

I love Mario, but I doubt you'll many hockey people who would remotely agree with you.  Gretzky is probably the most dominant athlete of all time.

Mario was amazing, but Gretzky is beyond compare.  

Edited by stawns
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2