The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

8 minutes ago, tas said:

that's a pretty miniscule sample. 

edit: also, did you stop at 2012 because jamie oleksiak (2011) and derek forbort (2010) turned your 100% success rate into 67%?

Oh damn.. Doesn't look as impressive then I guess. I just started at 12 because I was originally trying to look up the year that all those bust dmen like Pouliot, Koekkoek, Reinhart were drafted.

15 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

He is a serious kid. Very competitive. He has been bred to be a hockey player from a young age.

Big advantage for him was his dad was the Leafs director of prospect development, ironically when Josh Leivo was his age just starting his pro career in the Leafs organization.

Long lineage of athletes and hockey players in his family tree.

He should have no problem adjusting to the pro lifestyle including training and nutrition.

I think a fair expectation of his play style and points in his first full NHL season will be to another undersized left hand d-man, on the Avalanche, in Samuel Girard.

Both are very elusive skaters that can turn on a dime to avoid checks and make plays.

Both are offensive guys who like to join the rush and get up in the play to support the forwards.

Thinking about it, it's probably the most accurate comparison. Only difference I can think of is that Girard may have a higher motor and better shot, while Hughes is more smooth.

Girard is excellent. However, Hughes should stand out more since he looks to be a step above Girard coming into the NHL. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Butters Stoch said:

Oh damn.. Doesn't look as impressive then I guess. I just started at 12 because I was originally trying to look up the year that all those bust dmen like Pouliot, Koekkoek, Reinhart were drafted.

67% is still crazy high turn over.

Best case scenario, he plays next Wednesday at home against the Sens.  That would give him 9 games the rest of the way, and he could only play 10 anyway without burning his expansion draft exemption.  Or maybe Saturday against the Flames if they want to be extra careful or give him practice time.  Wouldn't it be something if he makes a statement against the Flames like Pettersson's debut.  He'd be on Hockey Night in Canada to boot.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, GoldenAlien said:

Best case scenario, he plays next Wednesday at home against the Sens.  That would give him 9 games the rest of the way, and he could only play 10 anyway without burning his expansion draft exemption.  Or maybe Saturday against the Flames if they want to be extra careful or give him practice time.  Wouldn't it be something if he makes a statement against the Flames like Pettersson's debut.  He'd be on Hockey Night in Canada to boot.

Wow thats not good. Lets give Quinn some time to recover, besides, we got Teves to look out for

21 hours ago, spook007 said:

...On a side note... No.6 on the list is Kent Nilsson.. The player who's records in Sweden was broken by none other than Elias Pettersson... The sky's the limit for for our Alien...

My only complaint on the list is Gretzky should probably a tad higher, but Forsberg should've been included in the list. Hopefully Petey can come close to Peter the Great once the Canucks become contenders.

• Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, playboi19 said:

Like I said earlier, he’ll likely want to play against the Sens and bff Brady Tkachuk. It’s next Wednesday so that’s a week.

I'm not sure he will by the sounds of it, since he's being re-evaluated in a week.

Personally I don't think his friendship with Tkachuk will have any bearing on whether he plays or not.

11 minutes ago, stawns said:

it kind of sounds like there's a chance his season is over, wouldn't that be the Canucks luck?

Yeah the "reevaluated in a" is never a positive sign. However. We have him signed. He definitly wont play enough to be eligible for the expansion (as if that was any doubt). So there are a couple positives. 

22 hours ago, firestorm238 said:

I'm imagining that if the leadership group of the Canucks showed up at YVR arrivals at the same time that it would be a total gong show of fans freaking out - which would probably freak Quinn out.  Better to keep it low key. 

They used to come in/out of the south terminal...not sure if that's still the case.

8 hours ago, GoldenAlien said:
in

I'm going to that  game...sure hope so!   Will have to pull out my Michigan hat for it (bought it years ago...friend was from there).

10 hours ago, aqua59 said:

That's right. I love the looser grammar police on here.

loose
/lo͞os/
adjective
comparative adjective: looser
  1. 1.
    not firmly or tightly fixed in place; detached or able to be detached.
    "a loose tooth"
    synonyms: not fixed in place, not secure, insecure, unsecured, unattached; More

(of a garment) not fitting tightly or closely.
  2. "she slipped into a loose T-shirt and shorts"
    synonyms: baggy, loose-fitting, easy-fitting, generously cut, slack, roomy, boyfriend; 
    oversized, shapeless, bagging, lax, hanging, sagging, sloppy, slouchy
    "a loose jacket
Tip
Similar-sounding words
looser is sometimes confused with loser

image.png

The correct use of the correctly spelled word "loser" would be like this:

"I love the loser grammar police on here." 

Websters says "If a Canuck fan cannot even spell a Canuck player or prospects name then they are a LOSER." 

:mellow:

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Kanukfanatic said:
loose
/lo͞os/
adjective
comparative adjective: looser
  1. 1.
    not firmly or tightly fixed in place; detached or able to be detached.
    "a loose tooth"
    synonyms: not fixed in place, not secure, insecure, unsecured, unattached; More

(of a garment) not fitting tightly or closely.
  2. "she slipped into a loose T-shirt and shorts"
    synonyms: baggy, loose-fitting, easy-fitting, generously cut, slack, roomy, boyfriend; 
    oversized, shapeless, bagging, lax, hanging, sagging, sloppy, slouchy
    "a loose jacket
Tip
Similar-sounding words
looser is sometimes confused with loser

image.png

The correct use of the correctly spelled word "loser" would be like this:

"I love the loser grammar police on here." 

Websters says "If a Canuck fan cannot even spell a Canuck player or prospects name then they are a LOSER." 

:mellow:

Alf is proud to be the President of the “looser” club.  :emot-parrot:

• Cheers 1

On 3/13/2019 at 12:24 AM, filthycanuck said:

Want to guess whos number 1? Enough hockey people for you? Hull, Hawerchuk, Ferraro, most notable is McSorley and Robitaille whos played with BOTH

These guys are evaluating players on raw individual physical skill... but there is more to the game than that.

Mario is #1 when you look at pure individual skill.

But hockey is a team game, and NO ONE... no one, used their team mates like Gretzky.

Gretzky was a multiplier...  he made everyone he played with so much better, and he made them use their abilities to the full.

Gretzky was like a multi-headed beast when he played... you couldn't just watch him, you had to watch everyone else in an opposing sweater... and if you didn't, then the person you weren't watching would get the puck distributed to him by Gretzky and he would score.  Every player on the ice with Gretzky became like an appendage of Wayne's mind which he could use to get the puck in the net.

Yeah, Mario could beat you one on one far better than Gretzky, but you gotta look at the scoring totals for Gretzky's linemates and the Oiler team as a whole.... then you start to see Wayne's greatness.

• Thanks 1