The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

29 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Hughes alone won't be enough as both Tanev and Edler will be a year old with even more mileage on their bodies (assuming one or both are still members of the Canucks).  EP being the franchise player that he is, wasn't remotely enough (and that's with Marky have a pretty solid season).  There STILL requires major work on the blueline.  Doing nothing in the offseason last year was a huge mistake (with respect to the blueline).  Not saying it's easy (that's why the GM gets paid the big bucks).

I don't think it was a 'mistake', huge or otherwise. Last summer was still very much in the middle of our rebuild with less assets to move around, less expiring D contracts, Gudbranson hadn't been moved yet, prospects like Woo, Rathbone etc weren't one year closer etc, etc.

There's a time and a place ;) Thankfully, that time appears to be this summer ::D

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I don't think it was a 'mistake', huge or otherwise. Last summer was still very much in the middle of tour rebuild with less assets to move around, less expiring D contracts, Gudbranson hadn't been moved yet, prospects like Woo, Rathbone etc weren't one year closer etc, etc.

There's a time and a place ;) Thankfully, that time appears to be this summer ::D

I tend to think it was as it applies even more pressure to do something this offseason.  Status quo isn't going to cut it.  You need some decent vets despite having good prospects else you run into the Oilers situation.  But all will be forgiven if something is done this offseason.:)

team was close  last year. Just letting the few players go that are gone could be enough. Pretty sure this team isn't a draft lottery team next year. EP a year older and a really good offensive defenseman is going to limit defensive zone time. Its amazing how 1 or 2 players can change a team. 

4 hours ago, cory40 said:

team was close  last year. Just letting the few players go that are gone could be enough. Pretty sure this team isn't a draft lottery team next year. EP a year older and a really good offensive defenseman is going to limit defensive zone time. Its amazing how 1 or 2 players can change a team. 

I think we'll be tantalizingly close to the playoffs next year. My prediction as of now is that we'll be eliminated from contention with about 3 or 4 games left in the season. Definitely expecting an improvement.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I tend to think it was as it applies even more pressure to do something this offseason.  Status quo isn't going to cut it.  You need some decent vets despite having good prospects else you run into the Oilers situation.  But all will be forgiven if something is done this offseason.:)

Pretty sure overhauling the D this year was always the plan (with it's own internal timeline and pressure). Any fan/media 'pressure' is largely manufactured and equally, white noise IMO.

Nobody's advocating 'status quo'. Benning himself has stated it's one of his main goals this summer and even noted the Gudbranson move as part of the table setting for it.

Assuming Edler's back, we do have decent vets. We've also got Hughes coming in and likely OJ part way through the year, we have UFA's available and more assets we can trade to fill holes than we had last year and Tanev on an expiring deal with cap space opening up in vast chunks.

Now's the time.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Pretty sure overhauling the D this year was always the plan (with it's own internal timeline and pressure). Any fan/media 'pressure' is largely manufactured and equally, white noise IMO.

Nobody's advocating 'status quo'. Benning himself has stated it's one of his main goals this summer and even noted the Gudbranson move as part of the table setting for it.

Assuming Edler's back, we do have decent vets. We've also got Hughes coming in and likely OJ part way through the year, we have UFA's available and more assets we can trade to fill holes than we had last year and Tanev on an expiring deal with cap space opening up in vast chunks.

Now's the time.

I think OJ is still at least another year away.  Offensively, he’s ready to contribute at the NHL level but his defensive game is still a work in process.  It ain’t anywhere remotely Jordan Subban bad but still needs work.  Injuries slowed down his development plus there is the ****show in Utica where their blueline is pretty meh (shortage of good AHL vets there as well) which probably didn’t help his development.  Better he stick in the AHL to round out his game.  He’s still young.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

6 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I think OJ is still at least another year away.  Offensively, he’s ready to contribute at the NHL level but his defensive game is still a work in process.  It ain’t anywhere remotely Jordan Subban bad but still needs work.  Injuries slowed down his development plus there is the ****show in Utica where their blueline is pretty meh (shortage of good AHL vets there as well) which probably didn’t help his development.  Better he stick in the AHL to round out his game.  He’s still young.

I think he's up here mid year...December'ish (assuming he stays healthy) but wont remotely be concerned if he only sees occasional call ups this season and sees something closer to a full year playing big minutes in Utica.

6 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I think he's up here mid year...December'ish (assuming he stays healthy) but wont remotely be concerned if he only sees occasional call ups this season and sees something closer to a full year playing big minutes in Utica.

I think it depends if Hughes sticks with the Canucks (as I think he will).  You can’t really have two rookie D playing major minutes unless they’re known for their defensive play (better to have OJ playing big minutes on the Comets).  Hey, I hope I’m proven wrong.  OJ time to shine will come.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

10 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I think it depends if Hughes sticks with the Canucks (as I think he will).  You can’t really have two rookie D playing major minutes unless they’re known for their defensive play (better to have OJ playing big minutes on the Comets).  Hey, I hope I’m proven wrong.  OJ time to shine will come.

I could see Hutton moved around Dec, with Hughes seeing increased (while still relatively sheltered/offensive) '2nd pair' minutes akin to what we saw with Petterrsson last year and OJ brought up to play 3rd pair.

Need to upgrade the right side though to partner with these guys.

3 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I think we'll be tantalizingly close to the playoffs next year. My prediction as of now is that we'll be elimination from contention with about 3 or 4 games left in the season. Definitely expecting an improvement.

I almost agree with you. Except I think that with 3 or 4 games left in the season is when we lock up our playoff spot. It all depends on how much our young players and prospects progress. We have quite a few of them now, and there is a huge variance in their possible productivity.

Imagine Quinn stepping in the way Brock and Petey did, while Petey takes another step forward, as do Brock and Bo and Jake. And Baer and the majority of the team stay reasonably healthy and Marky continues where he left off, along with Pearson and Leivo, etc.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, WeneedLumme said:

I almost agree with you. Except I think that with 3 or 4 games left in the season is when we lock up our playoff spot. It all depends on how much our young players and prospects progress. We have quite a few of them now, and there is a huge variance in their possible productivity.

Imagine Quinn stepping in the way Brock and Petey did, while Petey takes another step forward, as do Brock and Bo and Jake. And Baer and the majority of the team stay reasonably healthy and Marky continues where he left off, along with Pearson and Leivo, etc.

I'd like to see JB sign a UFA puck moving (skating) D man this summer.  Quinn Hughes is clearly a phenom, but it would be nice to have more guys like him.  I'd say Meyers could fill that role.  He's big too, and shouldn't cost too much.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I'd like to see JB sign a UFA puck moving (skating) D man this summer.  Quinn Hughes is clearly a phenom, but it would be nice to have more guys like him.  I'd say Meyers could fill that role.  He's big too, and shouldn't cost too much.  

Myers is going to be 30yo next season - this might be the last contract he ever signs. 

You don't think he's going to want to get PAID? 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Hughes alone won't be enough as both Tanev and Edler will be a year old with even more mileage on their bodies (assuming one or both are still members of the Canucks).  EP being the franchise player that he is, wasn't remotely enough (and that's with Marky have a pretty solid season).  There STILL requires major work on the blueline.  Doing nothing in the offseason last year was a huge mistake (with respect to the blueline).  Not saying it's easy (that's why the GM gets paid the big bucks).

:P

i think we can spin this differently

it may just become clear that now with multiple long offseasons

both edler and tanev have finally recovered from all those long playoff runs

the team had at the start of the decade

we are finally going to see their best again

for an entire season

maybe they might only miss around 5 games each this season

dreamers can dream

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Fanuck said:

Myers is going to be 30yo next season - this might be the last contract he ever signs. 

Yeah, he's already getting $5.5 so he'll be wanting more.  He will also want term.

There's not a whole lot of options at RD in this ufa market, so I would rather JB find a short term filler and wait until the 2020 ufa.  Definitely a much better group of rds available.

Sign a UFA vet to short term, or trade for a player that will enter UFA in the next year or two (preferably from a team that has cap problems).

Quinn has been incredibly dynamic in this game...admittedly against GREAT BRITAIN. Skating, edge work and straight line speed, passing...electric stuff. When he has the puck in the O-Zone you get the sense he could just rag it for an entire shift.

The shot... still muffin-like. Not overly troubled by that given the elite nature of the other tools.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

On 5/14/2019 at 1:13 PM, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I think we have the vets.  This group has one character trait that the Oilers lacked, confidence.  

They won't always win, but they believe in themselves a s group.  Brock was a bit shaky but gained it back, Ep40, Bo and now Hughes are so strong in their self belief, it's really astounding.  It's not being cocky or arrogance and this team is going to have it in spades.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 4:10 PM, Fanuck said:

With Myers, I wouldn't be surprised if things don't go quite the way a lot of us are thinking, The whole league is shifting towards youth and speed. Myers has neither, especially youth. He very well may end up not getting offered a contract quite as quickly as he (and his agent) are thinking.

What if he sits there for about a week, with no serious offers? You think he might tell his agent to come off of the demands; bring it down a year or two, bring it down $1M or so. Suddenly, his demands of 6Yx6M become 5x5 or even 4.5 x 5. He didn't play all that well last year, when he was pushed into top 2 by injuries; that's another factor that GMs will look at. Also, everyone is well aware of the upcoming Seattle entry draft. Myers will be 32-33 by then. Don't think for a minute any potential contract is going to have a snag when an NMC/NTC is considered

Yes, it could be his last contract, and he will want to get PAID (as you say). But will he price himself out of a job, and have to "settle" for a lesser offer? Could be an interesting development to watch for.

Edited by Father Ryan
add content

On 5/14/2019 at 1:47 PM, NewbieCanuckFan said:

OJ's timeline will in large part be determined more by the roster vs himself provided he is 100% physically ready at camp.  

It would be more about who he gets to play with vs his own strengths.  Let's just say that Hughes is paired with Tanev.  Edler and Stecher are a good match, that leaves  Schenn is the 3rd pairing RHD guy.  Hutton is not going to be our 4th d man with Edler and Hughes in the lineup.  

That leaves a Hutton Schenn pairing.... uh, no.  We would be screaming into our devices and wishing Pouliot was back.  Mentally, neither Hutton or Schenn have the ability to lead a pairing.  

But an OJ Schenn pairing would be an enticing 3rd pairing IMO.  

For me, it's a Chemistry thing.  Schenn played well with Hughes, I think he would do the same with OJ.  Hughes is a far more dynamic player, but OJ is second most skilled d man on the roster.  Especially when it comes to an improved transition game.  

Trymakin is a wild card and Edler may not be resigned, Tanev could be moved, other FA's could.be added.  Alot could happen, but I could see OJ platooning with another D man for the first half of the year and either an demotion to the AHL or the other d man is moved.  

Edited by Phat Fingers
  • Upvote 1