The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

28 minutes ago, 3rdGenCanuck said:

As @ruilin96 has already mentioned, after the draft JB stated that the first 7 players picked were the top 7 players they had ranked on their board. So yes, they definitely had him rated highly and since he was rated in their top 7, he was obviously a player they were considering with the 7th pick. That's where the rumour came from... It was never the Canucks would have taken him at 7, it was that they could have taken him at 7. Analysts just mentioned that other teams such as the Canucks were high on Hayton to justify the Coyotes pick because it's very possible he wouldn't have made it to them if they traded down. While I haven't seen the board, based on pre and post draft comments, as well as now knowing Hughes was #3, I would be willing to bet quite a bit of money that Zadina/Hayton or Hayton/Zadina were 6 and 7 on the Canucks 2018 draft board.

From the Canuck's guys reactions, I think they were shocked Hughes fell into their arms.  I agree with you ranking in the bold.

• Cheers 2

• 4 weeks later...

I was on the Canucks web site and there is a nice video on Quinn at a young man's graduation.  The young fella has Autism and ask quinn if he would come and watch his graduation.  Starting to get real impressed with where his head is at.  I am a big fan of guys working in community.  Jake seems to do a great deal of this kind of thing as well.  It is good that these guys are using their Celebrity to actually help people.  It seems like hockey players are the nicest people off the ice and put athletes from other sports to shame.  

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, Silky mitts said:

So excited to see hughes skate circles around the league next year. He looked very promising In his short stint. He will take the nhl by storm imo, lots of people will take notice .

I see Quinn Hughes getting 60 + points this season.  He and Petey are very special players.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

I see Quinn Hughes getting 60 + points this season.  He and Petey are very special players.  

Possible, but I think that is a little optimistic for a young and small d-man... though it would be wonderful. Petey did amazing for a rookie season and I truly think he will end up being the best player we have ever had.

Hughes has very high skill - there is no doubt.  I am sure he will be successful in this league, but I am tempering my expectations and would never put him in the same sentence as Petey at this point.  (And probably never).

I would be thrilled with 45-50 points this season. I do think with his skill he will be a 60-70 point player but I feel he needs experience and to get stronger to get there.

Even of he got 45, factor in Edler at a likely 45 or so, Myers at 35+, Stecher at maybe 30, Benn at maybe 20 and Tanev and his replacement at perhaps 15, thats 190 points from the back end.  I feel this may be conservative, given our much improved forward group.

Last season, our defense mustered 125. 

So a conservative extra 50%+ points from our blueline alone?  Yes please.  Sign me up.

Edited by kloubek

On 7/8/2019 at 10:41 AM, dpn1 said:

I was on the Canucks web site and there is a nice video on Quinn at a young man's graduation.  The young fella has Autism and ask quinn if he would come and watch his graduation.  Starting to get real impressed with where his head is at.  I am a big fan of guys working in community.  Jake seems to do a great deal of this kind of thing as well.  It is good that these guys are using their Celebrity to actually help people.  It seems like hockey players are the nicest people off the ice and put athletes from other sports to shame.  

it is fantastic, especially for a rookie.. 

don't say anything about it to Mystify&Crucify though.. lol

• Cheers 2

On 7/12/2019 at 12:05 AM, -AJ- said:

I did some research and it turns out that only one rookie defenseman has had 50 or more points in the last 15 years. 60 points as a rookie defenseman would be almost unheard of.

The last guy to score 60 points as a rookie defenseman was Nicklas Lidstrom.

If Brock put 35-40 as people keep projecting him to and Pete puts up 30-35 Ferland 20. 90 ish goals from our 1st line I could see Hughes with 45 apples and potting 5-10 of his own. 50-55 points would be unreal. His dynamic skating will draw defenders and leave Brock n Pete with back door tapins.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

On 7/8/2019 at 10:41 AM, dpn1 said:

Anyone who would voluntarily go to somebodies graduation deserves a medal.  3 hours of your life you'll never get back.

• Like 1

On 6/12/2019 at 9:17 PM, Where's Wellwood said:

If they loved Brady, I wonder what went wrong with the Matthew interview.

On 6/13/2019 at 8:35 AM, 3rdGenCanuck said:

They are fairly similar players, but they are very different people. Brady's intangibles are off the charts. He just finished his rookie season in Ottawa and he's already viewed as the leader of that team. He won't have to wait long before he gets the "C".

Trevor Linden (Team Canada) & Keith Tkatchuk (Team USA) playing against each other throughout their respected careers were never close friends lets just say.

Watching these 2 in their career playing against each other & being totally opposite personalities, let's just say these 2 weren't the best of friends. 

Keith Tkatchuk was also known to speak his own mind, and Trevor was quite the opposite. 

Keeping it short, Trevor was never a fan of Keith Tkatchuk (Marchand like player if you watched Keith play) & that is why the Canucks did not take Mathew T.  

This is my opinion only, but if you actually were a true fan watching hockey back then you will know what I'm saying. (Trevor thought Keith may have a strong influence on Mathew because of his past| vocalism)

In my opinion This is one of the reasons why Trevor left on top of other rumors.

So if you get me I don't think JB really wanted Juolevi over Tkatchuk, I think it was Trevor wanting OJ over MT more than anybody. 

From all the stories I've heard on this site my theory can't be that far off... ;) 

• Upvote 1

On 7/14/2019 at 11:23 AM, hammertime said:

If Brock put 35-40 as people keep projecting him to and Pete puts up 30-35 Ferland 20. 90 ish goals from our 1st line I could see Hughes with 45 apples and potting 5-10 of his own. 50-55 points would be unreal. His dynamic skating will draw defenders and leave Brock n Pete with back door tapins.

I generally have a tendency to be conservative when it comes to predictions. But I can see Boeser putting up 30 goals no problem, maybe even 35. 40 goals is a lot. I'm not sure if Brock is a perennial 40 goal scorer. He's going to be a 30 goal scorer for sure. Petey can probably also put up 30-35 goals. And Ferland can pot 17-20 goals most likely - and this is under the assumption that he remains healthy for the season. 

I can see Hughes getting 40-45 points. I think he's going to struggle a bit at some point in the season, because he's also quite small, and maybe not quite as strong. We'll see though, I'd like to be proven wrong in this case. If he can get 50-55 points in his first NHL season, that would be amazing for a rookie defenseman, since another poster alluded to the fact that only one other dman has ever done that - the great Niklas Lidström. Unless Hughes is the next great dman, I don't know if he'll get there. NHL has had some very good dmen in its history, and for Quinn to achieve what only 1 other dman has accomplished would be insane

With that being said, I hope he can do it :D 

• Cheers 1

On 7/11/2019 at 6:22 PM, Alflives said:

Gonna go out on a limb and say that Quinn Hughes is Phil Housley reincarnated...1495 games played / 1232 career points.  I am predicting that the kid is going to be a superstar.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, CoolCanucklehead said:

Trevor Linden (Team Canada) & Keith Tkatchuk (Team USA) playing against each other throughout their respected careers were never close friends lets just say.

Watching these 2 in their career playing against each other & being totally opposite personalities, let's just say these 2 weren't the best of friends. 

Keith Tkatchuk was also known to speak his own mind, and Trevor was quite the opposite. 

Keeping it short, Trevor was never a fan of Keith Tkatchuk (Marchand like player if you watched Keith play) & that is why the Canucks did not take Mathew T.  

This is my opinion only, but if you actually were a true fan watching hockey back then you will know what I'm saying. (Trevor thought Keith may have a strong influence on Mathew because of his past| vocalism)

In my opinion This is one of the reasons why Trevor left on top of other rumors.

So if you get me I don't think JB really wanted Juolevi over Tkatchuk, I think it was Trevor wanting OJ over MT more than anybody. 

From all the stories I've heard on this site my theory can't be that far off... ;) 

It's possible. But JB is the GM of the team, not Linden. 

This is a business. Linden's personal issues with Keith has nothing to do, or should not have anything to do, with drafting the best player available. This should always be the mandate of the organization. Relational issues of the past should not have played a part in the decision to have draft the best player available. 

4 minutes ago, bigbadcanucks said:

Gonna go out on a limb and say that Quinn Hughes is Phil Housley reincarnated...1495 games played / 1232 career points.  I am predicting that the kid is going to be a superstar.

I hope so too!

22 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

It's possible. But JB is the GM of the team, not Linden. 

This is a business. Linden's personal issues with Keith has nothing to do, or should not have anything to do, with drafting the best player available. This should always be the mandate of the organization. Relational issues of the past should not have played a part in the decision to have draft the best player available. 

That’s true and a fair argument, but since the Canucks have prioritized character when drafting I’m not sure the theory is that far-fetched. 

Personally, I still think OJ can be a puck-moving #2-3D playing behind QH and being solid defensively. That role over time is more valuable IMO than what MT brings, and I’m not sure he’ll continue bringing it over time as his style will likely take a toll. 

Whether this is wishful thinking or not remains to be seen ;-)

Just now, J-P said:

That’s true and a fair argument, but since the Canucks have prioritized character when drafting I’m not sure the theory is that far-fetched. 

Personally, I still think OJ can be a puck-moving #2-3D playing behind QH and being solid defensively. That role over time is more valuable IMO than what MT brings, and I’m not sure he’ll continue bringing it over time as his style will likely take a toll. 

Whether this is wishful thinking or not remains to be seen ;-)

Yep. I don't think MT's playing style will endure him to long term sustainability. It's just not sustainable. Look at other players who play kind of a similar game - Ferland, Kesler, etc. Their bodies to wear down over time. 

I still think, like you, that OJ will be a good dman. He's smart, he just needs time to recover a lost year last year due to injuries. I hope he breaks through this upcoming season at some point earning a few call ups along the way. 

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...