The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

On 6/13/2019 at 10:15 AM, Alflives said:

From the Canuck's guys reactions, I think they were shocked Hughes fell into their arms.  I agree with you ranking in the bold.

I'm curious where Dobson was on their list....cause Dobson will be a stud for NYI...

...this draft could go down as one of the best in recent history.

Edited by Pete M
  • Cheers 1

On 7/16/2019 at 12:59 AM, J-P said:

That’s true and a fair argument, but since the Canucks have prioritized character when drafting I’m not sure the theory is that far-fetched. 

Personally, I still think OJ can be a puck-moving #2-3D playing behind QH and being solid defensively. That role over time is more valuable IMO than what MT brings, and I’m not sure he’ll continue bringing it over time as his style will likely take a toll. 

Whether this is wishful thinking or not remains to be seen ;-)

OJ has the tools to become what Lidstrom was...more so than Hughes because OJ seems to play a very similar style as Lidstrom...I believe this could be the ceiling for OJ...not many players have a ceiling so high.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, GoldenAlien said:

Myers and Hughes could add 80 pts from the blue line.  If Hughes put up 40+ pts he should definitely be in the conversation for Calder.  

Saw this earlier today. Odd that they were so safe with the predictions on forward, but more bold on defense. 45 points would give him a very strong chance at the Calder; interestingly, they project Makar at 49 points.

18 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Saw this earlier today. Odd that they were so safe with the predictions on forward, but more bold on defense. 45 points would give him a very strong chance at the Calder; interestingly, they project Makar at 49 points.

If they're predicting Hughes to get 45 points, then it doesn't make a whole lot of sense that they're predicting our forwards to finish with pretty much the same points (or at least PPG averages) as last season.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

On 8/11/2019 at 8:33 AM, Pete M said:

OJ has the tools to become what Lidstrom was...more so than Hughes because OJ seems to play a very similar style as Lidstrom...I believe this could be the ceiling for OJ...not many players have a ceiling so high.

After Lidstrom was drafted he took 2 years to come to NHL. When wings signed him to first contract they were wondering if they even should. 

Scouts and mgmt watched him play at a game in Sweden and decided obviously they would sign him. Rest is history. 

JB said before drafting OJ that he reminded JB of Lidstrom. 

I don't think OJ will be Lidstrom. I think Lidstrom was the best ever. But I think he still has a chance to become a very good NHL Dman. 

Hopefully he develops into a top pair Dman.  

• Cheers 1

OJ isn't winning 7 Norris trophies.  Not even in the same stratosphere as Lidstrom.  But I think he will be a very good top 4 Dman for us for many years if he can stay healthy.  He could be like Ohlund only with more offensive potential.

And Lidstrom isn't the best ever.  Not even close to Bobby Orr who could do it all...

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

21 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

If they're predicting Hughes to get 45 points, then it doesn't make a whole lot of sense that they're predicting our forwards to finish with pretty much the same points (or at least PPG averages) as last season.

Hughes will drive the offense more than some of our forwards IMO.

Taking the PPG (0.6) from his stint last year, over 82 would be 49.2 pts. I'm in no way expecting that. Personally I'm hoping for 35+ points, that'd be a very good rookie season IMO. 45+ would be incredible.

45 points would definitely give him a strong chance at the Calder. 

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Taking the PPG (0.6) from his stint last year, over 82 would be 49.2 pts. I'm in no way expecting that. Personally I'm hoping for 35+ points, that'd be a very good rookie season IMO. 45+ would be incredible.

Agree with this pretty much. I'm expecting somewhere around 30-35, but anything higher would be very exciting. 45 points would win you the Calder most years, but Dahlin had 44 last year and didn't beat Pettersson. Pettersson was better than your average Calder winner though. I think some people who are predicting Hughes (or even Makar for that matter), to hit 50+ points don't realize how rare it is for a rookie defender to do so.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Agree with this pretty much. I'm expecting somewhere around 30-35, but anything higher would be very exciting. 45 points would win you the Calder most years, but Dahlin had 44 last year and didn't beat Pettersson. Pettersson was better than your average Calder winner though. I think some people who are predicting Hughes (or even Makar for that matter), to hit 50+ points don't realize how rare it is for a rookie defender to do so.

Yeah I don't think he's a top contender & I'm not expecting him to win (even with 45 points). To me its Kakko coming into the year as the front runner, and J. Hughes will probably generate more consideration based on hype & playing out east, even if they have the same amount of points.

I agree 30-35 points would be a good rookie season. Anything less might be considered a bit of a disappointment, but I think early on there'll still be learning to do. I'd be surprised if Travis Green plays him as a top 4D to start TBH. 

Edited by Smashian Kassian

54 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I'm thinking along the same lines of you in terms of what his production will be in his first season. It's not really fair to expect a rookie Dman in his draft + 2 to put up 45 points, although that would obviously be awesome. 

The point of my post though is that, if Hughes is able to somehow net 45 points (most of which would obviously be assists), would it not stand to reason that having someone like that driving the play from the back end  should also improve out forwards PPG production?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

20 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I'm thinking along the same lines of you in terms of what his production will be in his first season. It's not really fair to expect a rookie Dman in his draft + 2 to put up 45 points, although that would obviously be awesome. 

The point of my post though is that, if Hughes is able to somehow net 45 points (most of which would obviously be assists), would it not stand to reason that having someone like that driving the play from the back end  should also improve out forwards PPG production?

Without doubt you are bang on. Add the projections for Meyer and Edler and the d-core will change the whole outlook of the team. EP40 at 80 and BB at 67??? Those two will be on the 1st PP unit. 

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Without doubt you are bang on. Add the projections for Meyer and Edler and the d-core will change the whole outlook of the team. EP40 at 80 and BB at 67??? Those two will be on the 1st PP unit. 

Bizarre how people cannot spell Myers correctly lol.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

On 8/23/2019 at 7:56 PM, -AJ- said:

I think it really does depend on the rest of the team, and how quickly Hughes gets onto the 1st unit powerplay. If he gets any reasonable powerplay time, I think he can hit 35 points quite easily, especially if he has Pettersson and Boeser scoring goals, and maybe either Horvat, Miller, or Ferland cleaning up garbage in front of the net. It wouldn't surprise me if he gets to 40 points even. I'd be pretty happy with that for his rookie season. For Hughes to win the Calder, he'd have to have an outstanding rookie year - I think he'd need 50-55 points as a defenseman to win the Calder - and I just don't see him doing that. 

I see Kakko or J. Hughes winning the Calder. Would've been nice to have back to back Calder winning rookies on our team

33 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I think it really does depend on the rest of the team, and how quickly Hughes gets onto the 1st unit powerplay. If he gets any reasonable powerplay time, I think he can hit 35 points quite easily, especially if he has Pettersson and Boeser scoring goals, and maybe either Horvat, Miller, or Ferland cleaning up garbage in front of the net. It wouldn't surprise me if he gets to 40 points even. I'd be pretty happy with that for his rookie season. For Hughes to win the Calder, he'd have to have an outstanding rookie year - I think he'd need 50-55 points as a defenseman to win the Calder - and I just don't see him doing that. 

I see Kakko or J. Hughes winning the Calder. Would've been nice to have back to back Calder winning rookies on our team

I think it all depends on how good the other players are, but based on recent times, 45 points would put him in a very good position to win the whole thing. Recall that the last time a rookie defenseman had 50+ points was way back in 2003-04, 16 years ago now. 50+ points for a defenseman is no joke and even approaching that would be a lock for the Calder unless you have a rookie like Ovechkin or Malkin also in the class. 

2 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

50-60 points at least to be in contention of calder.

Unless it's an off year for rookie forwards but there's a lot of potential with his brother and Kakko, Zadina

The last defenseman to score 60 points in a rookie season was Nick Lidstrom. If Hughes scores 60 points, he's a lock for the Calder unless his defense is atrocious or a forward gets 100 points. I expect him to finish probably 4th-6th in Calder voting, but more likely because I don't expect him to even hit 40 points, never mind 50+. Again, it's been 16 years since a rookie defenseman has scored 50+ points--it would be a very special thing for any rookie defenseman to score 50+ points and would result in a surefire Calder victory unless another forward had an unbelievable season. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2