The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

I posted something similar in the JT Miller thread, but it's worth noting that through four games, Quinn Hughes has been the team's best even-strength play-driver:

xGF% (expected goals for %): 68.64% (1st on the team)

Relative xGF%: 29.89% (1st on the team)

Corsi%: 60.34% (2nd on the team)

Relative Corsi%: 14.85% (2nd on the team)

Scoring chance%: 61.82% (1st on the team)

High-danger scoring chance%: 84.62% (1st on the team)

It's worth noting he's receiving favourable deployment in terms of offensive zone starts (although multiple sites have him below 50% O-zone starts), but to be that effective at driving possession as a 19-20 year old rookie is pretty damn impressive.

Bonus - here's how he compares to all NHL defenceman:

What a machine.

Edited by Brad Marchand
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 10/13/2019 at 10:44 AM, Brad Marchand said:

I posted something similar in the JT Miller thread, but it's worth noting that through four games, Quinn Hughes has been the team's best even-strength play-driver:

xGF% (expected goals for %): 68.64% (1st on the team)

Relative xGF%: 29.89% (1st on the team)

Corsi%: 60.34% (2nd on the team)

Relative Corsi%: 14.85% (2nd on the team)

Scoring chance%: 61.82% (1st on the team)

High-danger scoring chance%: 84.62% (1st on the team)

It's worth noting he's receiving favourable deployment in terms of offensive zone starts, but to be that effective at driving possession as a 19-20 year old rookie is pretty damn impressive.

Bonus - here's how he compares to all NHL defenceman:

What a machine.

Hate to nit pick, but Hughes' hasn't actually had the ozone starts we might have expected as a young, rookie D - he's at a team low 30% - which I bring up because it further underlines how good he has been.

https://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/VAN/

I find that both quite surprising, and really impressive.   Shot differential numbers like a 64.4% corsi is that much more impressive for a rookie in that (unusual/exceptional context).

Green is doing something similar with EP (I noted this in the last GDT) - EP, likewise, is at a surprisingly low 42.9% ozone starts (with a similarly impressive 61.5% corsi).

I've been wondering what are Green's principal motivators in this - he has been using EP's line head to head against any matchup the opponent wants - ie on home ice he was willing to matchup EP's line against Couturier's (something AV clearly preferred as a matchup).

It seems like Green might be trying to 'forge' these guys from the get-go - perhaps he'll ease off as the season/grind progresses - but early on, he's utilizing both EP's line and the Hughes pairing in fairly unpredictable ways.   I wonder if another factor is their ability in transition - Hughes/Tanev is a pairing with (imo) elite first passes, great puck retrieval - and EP's line also loves the open ice...  Maybe the 'harder' minutes / dzone starts ease off as the season progresses and Green might lean more heavily on his veteran 'foundation' of Sutter/Beagle, Edler et al - but it's one thing I've noticed through four games that is quite interesting about Green's deployment.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Hate to nit pick, but Hughes' hasn't actually had the ozone starts we might have expected as a young, rookie D - he's at a team low 30% - which I bring up because it further underlines how good he has been.

I find that both quite surprising, and really impressive.   Shot differential numbers like a 64.4% corsi is that much more impressive for a rookie in that (unusual/exceptional context).

Green is doing something similar with EP (I noted this in the last GDT) - EP, likewise, is at a surprisingly low 42.9% ozone starts (with a similarly impressive 61.5% corsi).

I've been wondering what are Green's principal motivators in this - he has been using EP's line head to head against any matchup the opponent wants - ie on home ice he was willing to matchup EP's line against Couturier's (something AV clearly preferred as a matchup).

It seems like Green might be trying to 'forge' these guys from the get-go - perhaps he'll ease off as the season/grind progresses - but early on, he's utilizing both EP's line and the Hughes pairing in fairly unpredictable ways.   I wonder if another factor is their ability in transition - Hughes/Tanev is a pairing with (imo) elite first passes, great puck retrieval - and EP's line also loves the open ice...  Maybe the 'harder' minutes / dzone starts ease off as the season progresses and Green might lean more heavily on his veteran 'foundation' of Sutter/Beagle, Edler et al - but it's one thing I've noticed through four games that is quite interesting about Green's deployment.

It's weird that Natural Stat Trick had his offensive zone start percentage at over 60%. Corsica has Hughes' zone start ratio (O-zone starts/O-zone + D-zone starts) at below 50%. He also hasn't been sheltered at all in terms of his quality of competition. 

Whatever his zone starts are, Hughes' ability to drive play up the ice is remarkable.

Edited by Brad Marchand
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Brad Marchand said:

It's weird that Natural Stat Trick had his offensive zone start percentage at over 60%. Corsica has Hughes' zone start ratio (O-zone starts/O-zone + D-zone starts) at below 50%.

In any event, his ability to drive play up the ice is remarkable.

they could be right - who knows?  I don't really - just taking it from h-ref (that source could be wrong).  the numbers you cite, come to think of it - would be more expected.

but yeah - it's remarkable regardless.  I think the team as a whole is an improved 'possession' team - a nice balance/mix that also helps the younger players be successful.

Edited by oldnews

2 hours ago, oldnews said:

seems to be exactly what it is - a "one man breakout machine" is what Benning called Hughes a while back. 30% d-zone starts tho, thats really something. 

Interestingly Sutter is at 69% so far as well which bodes well for some 3rd line scoring potential. 

• Cheers 1

On 10/10/2019 at 5:53 PM, BPA said:

Rookie watch:

1 Victor Olofsson 2019-20   BUF   R    4GP    4G   1A   5PTS

2 Trevor Moore    2019-20   TOR   C    4GP    2G   1A   3PTS

3 Ilya Mikheyev    2019-20   TOR   R    4GP    1G   2A   3PTS

4 Ville Heinola     2019-20   WPG   D    4GP    1G   2A   3PTS

5 Quinn Hughes  2019-20   VAN    D    3GP    1G   2A   3PTS

Victor Olofsson just set a new NHL record today.   ....and the 2019-20 Calder winner is .... Victor Goal-ofsson!!!

Edited by SabreFan1

32 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Victor Olofsson just set a new NHL record today.   ....and the 2019-20 Calder winner is .... Victor Goal-ofsson!!!

Both Olofsson and Makar are pointing up good numbers from the powerplay. If they keep getting those prime minutes, I don't think Hughes has a chance for the Calder. Makar is actually my early favourite. 

60.34 CF% - 5th
62.23 xGF% - 7th
61.82 SCF% - 7th
42.51 CA/60 - 4th
158.66 PP CF/60 - 1st#Canucks

can someone explain to me what those numbers mean? thank you

56 minutes ago, HomeBrew said:

Both Olofsson and Makar are pointing up good numbers from the powerplay. If they keep getting those prime minutes, I don't think Hughes has a chance for the Calder. Makar is actually my early favourite. 

fyi colorado has 22 powerplays through 5 games.

Vancouver has 14 through 4 games,

2 hours ago, HomeBrew said:

If only we put Hughes on the first unit and get our PP going, he would still have a chance. The Canucks PP is too stale, there needs to be more movement among the players and the puck. We have the personnel to have a good powerplay, we just need to get it to execute.

2 hours ago, Fanuck said:

I get that Olofsson is a rookie by NHL definition,  but comparing a 24yo who's been playing pro- hockey vs men since he was 18yo to a kid who was 19yo as of yesterday and has a total of 9 pro games to his credit,  well, it doesn't quite add up completely imo...

It won't stop me from trolling throughout the year, but I can't say that I disagree with you.  Olofsson is a grown man in a grown man's body.  Players like Quinn are still filling out their frames and have yet to fully mature.  Then add that to Olofsson having played years in one of the best leagues in the world, and it isn't exactly an apples to apples fair comparison.  Until the rules change though, it is what it is.

• Cheers 3

2 hours ago, HomeBrew said:

Like I said last year for EP40 vs. Dahlin; D-men will always lose out on the Calder to high scoring forwards with bunches of goals. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Like I said last year for EP40 vs. Dahlin; D-men will always lose out on the Calder to high scoring forwards with bunches of goals. 

I don't disagree. I just think Makar setting up Mackinnon and Rantanen all season long has a higher chance of continuing his early success than Olofsson. Olofsson seems to be a trick pony. If ends up being a ppg defenseman rookie vs a 30-35 pp goal scoring rookie, I pick the defenseman. I'm actually happy to see Buffalo doing some good this year though. They've been in the dumps for too long imo. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, HomeBrew said:

I don't disagree. I just think Makar setting up Mackinnon and Rantanen all season long has a higher chance of continuing his early success than Olofsson. Olofsson seems to be a trick pony. If ends up being a ppg defenseman rookie vs a 30-35 pp goal scoring rookie, I pick the defenseman. I'm actually happy to see Buffalo doing some good this year though. They've been in the dumps for too long imo. 

It's definitely unsustainable to continue a PP percentage over 40%.  Krueger will have to figure out how to open up lanes for Olofsson in 5 vs 5 play.  Olofsson was able to do it just fine last year in the AHL and I'd expect he'll be able to do the same in the NHL.

7 hours ago, hammertime said:

Bout right!

Hmmm.  I know you're messing with me, but it got me thinking.  Stick EP40 and Dahlin in a re-draft.  Who goes 1st overall?  Even though a #1 d-man is worth his weight in gold, my guess would be that it would depend on which team was drafting first.

29 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Hmmm.  I know you're messing with me, but it got me thinking.  Stick EP40 and Dahlin in a re-draft.  Who goes 1st overall?  Even though a #1 d-man is worth his weight in gold, my guess would be that it would depend on which team was drafting first.

I believe they were drafted in different years so it's not totally fair as a hypothetical. But I'd think in a redraft they both go #1 in their respective year!

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, SabreFan1 said:

Calder aside, I think Dahlin would be picked before Pete in any redraft.  Before the lotto, the rumours were that JB was high on Maker and he appears to be right on the mark for a dman that is going to be very special.  Can't discount Heiskanen either.

In the end, I think the Canucks have ended up very well with Pete and Quinn, who will be significant factors in turning this franchise around.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2