The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

12 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Does anyone else think Hughes is better than they were expecting?

I knew he was a great skater, could see he could be elusive and slippery with the puck, he's obviously smart, but I had no idea how good he would be as a rookie in the NHL. The kid is schooling veterans out there, every shift it seems he's got a new trick or a new move that fools opponents. I find Hughes and Pettersson to be on another level than most other players. They both have elite awareness and vision. Pettersson is very skilled offensively, but yet he's damn good defensively too. Same with Hughes, he's good defensively, but provides such unique offense most NHL Dmen are unable to pull off. With these two, there is no ceiling, so the sky is the limit.   

Like EP, I think it's his quick and smart thinking that has surprised me the most. He's definitely been better than I expected. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I knew he was a great skater, could see he could be elusive and slippery with the puck, he's obviously smart, but I had no idea how good he would be as a rookie in the NHL. The kid is schooling veterans out there, every shift it seems he's got a new trick or a new move that fools opponents. I find Hughes and Pettersson to be on another level than most other players. They both have elite awareness and vision. Pettersson is very skilled offensively, but yet he's damn good defensively too. Same with Hughes, he's good defensively, but provides such unique offense most NHL Dmen are unable to pull off. With these two, there is no ceiling, so the sky is the limit.   

Yes. He's blown me away. In a redraft, I think he might go right after Dahlin. It makes me wonder who Benning and co. supposedly had ahead of Hughes, as he was #3 on their board.

• Like 2

Just now, Bitter Melon said:

Yes. He's blown me away. In a redraft, I think he might go right after Dahlin. It makes me wonder who Benning and co. supposedly had ahead of Hughes, as he was #3 on their board.

I remember Burke, when the Leafs drafted Reilly at no. 5, saying they had Reilly as their first choice.  I wonder if JB had the draft as:  Dhalin, Tkatchuk, and then Quinn?  Quinn is looking like he is right up there with Dhalin now, and likely to soon pass him by too.  Quinn is just an extremely rare talent, who has hyper hockey smarts and unmatched compete.  

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

I thought he would be good but yes, he is better than I was expecting. He has been elite so far.  Amazing!!  

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Other than my ongoing hate for the Leafs and their hoes at TSN and SN, I've been a pretty good boy.

Thanks in advance.

You say that like not hating the Leafs doesn’t preclude you from the naughty list.

6 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Definitely a lot better than I was expecting. I mean who seriously thought Quinn Hughes would be given 1st line minutes this early in the season...and dominating no less. I truthfully thought he could get 50 pts this season if all goes well but I was realistically expecting closer to 40. I hope he can continue to improve as the season goes on and doesn't go through a mid-season slump as he's never played a full 82 game season before. It'll be scary to think how good he could become in several years time if he continues to improve.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Alflives said:

I remember Burke, when the Leafs drafted Reilly at no. 5, saying they had Reilly as their first choice.  I wonder if JB had the draft as:  Dhalin, Tkatchuk, and then Quinn?  Quinn is looking like he is right up there with Dhalin now, and likely to soon pass him by too.  Quinn is just an extremely rare talent, who has hyper hockey smarts and unmatched compete.  

john weisbrod said in a pre draft interview leading up to the 2019 draft that they had Hughes ranked 3rd in 2018  the video is probably still there to see.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

john weisbrod said in a pre draft interview leading up to the 2019 draft that they had Hughes ranked 3rd in 2018  the video is probably still there to see.

I wonder if now we have Quinn as first?  Quinn is better than Dahlin.  

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

Dhalin has 10 points in 10 games, Quinn  has 6 in 9, however looking at literally every person who showed a sample of advanced Stats, Quinn Hughes destroys Dhalin advanced stats number.  any form of it. 

Quinn will get over 60 pints this season. Dahlin will get 40, but be a minus.  

1 minute ago, Snapshot85 said:

Jb would have had Svechnikov #2 not Brady.

And I love quinn.... and I hope he becomes.....

But I dont think hes better than Dahlin .... comparable maybe but better no.

Dahlin is a franchise defenceman.  He will be a Norris trophy winner.  But Hughes will be right behind him, maybe winning the trophy once or twice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

13 hours ago, Alflives said:

I e been saying for s long time that Quinn is a uniquely gifted layer.  He’s got elite skills, high IQ, and hyper compete.  He’s a special player.  Having Petey, Quinn and Bo means we have the foundation for winning CUPS

Me and my Bro were remembering when we played hockey and a kid got cut from an upper league and came down to our team and the impact that it made for the moral and culture of our club. We joked that it was like Hughes has been cut from a league above the NHL and joined the Canucks.