The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

2 hours ago, TheAce said:

A big part of this is how useless Edler was on the PP.  He was constantly thrown on the number 1 unit but doesnt have the offensive mindset that Hughes has

Not sure what Edler you were watching, but Edler was fantastic on the PP. Put up tons of points. Hughes looks great too, but Edler was not a problem on the PP.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Not sure what Edler you were watching, but Edler was fantastic on the PP. Put up tons of points. Hughes looks great too, but Edler was not a problem on the PP.

I love me some Edler and all, but it seems to me as though too many times Edler would just choose to shoot the puck at the net when he didn't have a lane and just wind up hitting someone in the skate and coughing up position. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

Just now, Brad Marchand said:

I think Hughes' tendency to move around with the puck helps keep the other guys on the powerplay moving, which opens up more passing lanes. Edler tends to act as more of a static buffer at the point, moreso focused on getting the puck on net or passing it off to Petey or Brock.

That's a really good point. I don't know how many times I've yelled at my TV for guys to move their feet and actually cycle a bit over the past couple of years. Hughes, being the dynamic player he is, kinda forces the issue. 

15 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Our PP was struggling when Edler was on the point at the start of the season..... Its really turned around ever since Hughes was moved up to the number 1 unit.  Edler , much like Ohlund, was kind of thrown in that situation out of a not really having anyone else. I find there to be a huge difference in puck carrying and not rushing the shot or play with Hughes as opposed to Edler who more times than not would bumble the puck at the blue line or blasting the puck into the defenders shin pads

21 hours ago, Brad Marchand said:

I think Hughes' tendency to move around with the puck helps keep the other guys on the powerplay moving, which opens up more passing lanes. Edler tends to act as more of a static buffer at the point, moreso focused on getting the puck on net or passing it off to Petey or Brock.

bingo.. 

I suspect the plan was to have Hughes on PP1 all along, but TG maybe wanted to give him some time to get comfortable.. 

anyways the pp is way more dangerous & exciting now.. no more carbon copy drop pass bullsh.. 

23 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Alex Edler. One of the best Canuck defensemen ever.  

And you, the basement dwelling poster, call him useless???  Come on....:picard:

Actually several posters on here have admitted that Edler would be much better suited as a 3/4 d-man . He was thrown into a top pairing role because we didnt have anyone else.  Canucks were 22nd in the league last year on the PP and it has been a puck moving D-man has been a huge need for this team. Our PP this year started off poorly and the only switch that was made was Hughes for Edler and there has been a noticeable difference. 

basement dweller poster ?   are you still in high school by any chance ? 

1 hour ago, TheAce said:

Actually several posters on here have admitted that Edler would be much better suited as a 3/4 d-man . He was thrown into a top pairing role because we didnt have anyone else.  Canucks were 22nd in the league last year on the PP and it has been a puck moving D-man has been a huge need for this team. Our PP this year started off poorly and the only switch that was made was Hughes for Edler and there has been a noticeable difference. 

basement dweller poster ?   are you still in high school by any chance ? 

No. I am old.  But your post was bad in that you called Edler useless...

...I figured only a teenager that doesn't know better would type something so dumb.  Edler useless?  Slap yourself in the face.  :picard:

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Okay @Alflives, NOW you can say that Hughes is better than Dahlin :P

Hughes- 12 games 1 goal 9 assists +2

Dahlin- 13 games- 1 goal 9 assists -2

Quinn is heating up as his confidence increases. Awesome to see. Hopefully he continues to handle the physical battles well with his smarts, skating, and stick work.

5 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Okay @Alflives, NOW you can say that Hughes is better than Dahlin :P

Hughes- 12 games 1 goal 9 assists +2

Dahlin- 13 games- 1 goal 9 assists -2

And we got him at 7 OA!!!  We got Petey at 5 and Bess at 23!!!  Bo was 9!!!!  Finally, even with our bad lottery luck, we have an elite young core.  Oh, and we got Demko in round two!!!!  

• Upvote 3

32 minutes ago, Alflives said:

And we got him at 7 OA!!!  We got Petey at 5 and Bess at 23!!!  Bo was 9!!!!  Finally, even with our bad lottery luck, we have an elite young core.  Oh, and we got Demko in round two!!!!  

Juolevi seems to be picking up right where he left off too. And Jake seems to be finding himself on Bo's wing. This time next year we might not have a Benning 1st rounder to whine about. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Juolevi seems to be picking up right where he left off too. And Jake seems to be finding himself on Bo's wing. This time next year we might not have a Benning 1st rounder to whine about. 

Yup.  TBay will be picking 31st OA.  :towel:

• Cheers 2