The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

On January 4, 2020 at 1:55 PM, Junkyard Dog said:

Thats why you build everything orderly in order to offset. He isn’t at his max skating ability at 170. 

if he makes his core/lower body and legs stronger he’s going to be faster than he is. A guy his height would be really effective around 180. 

Point being. Get bigger and stronger in the areas that will make you faster. As he does that he can less gradually get bigger in his upper body that way most of the weight he gains will be to become a lot faster(skating/balance) and only a bit more stronger(shooting/checking)

Quinn knows his body though and with parents like his and an NHL training staff he’ll definitely find the right method of improving his overall physical capabilities while not hindering any one of his attributes that make him great. 

Yeah, I don't think there's much chance he will be just doing bench presses and bicep curls like some kid trying to impress the ladies.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

Yeah, I don't think there's much chance he will be just doing bench presses and bicep curls like some kid trying to impress the ladies.

We all know that puck bunnies are attracted to a huge...

...pay cheque!!

::D

30 points after 41 GP is seriously impressive. From the few games at the end of last season i thought he might get some problems adapting in the defensive zone and sure he needs to improve in that area. However his offense is through the roof. Hes definetly elite when it comes to carrying the puck as well as his passing plays. After midseason he has been ok in the defensive zone as well and this kid is gonna get better and better year after year. hes been so good he should definetly be in the All-star lineup imo. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 1/4/2020 at 1:55 PM, Junkyard Dog said:

Thats why you build everything orderly in order to offset. He isn’t at his max skating ability at 170. 

if he makes his core/lower body and legs stronger he’s going to be faster than he is. A guy his height would be really effective around 180. 

Point being. Get bigger and stronger in the areas that will make you faster. As he does that he can less gradually get bigger in his upper body that way most of the weight he gains will be to become a lot faster(skating/balance) and only a bit more stronger(shooting/checking)

Quinn knows his body though and with parents like his and an NHL training staff he’ll definitely find the right method of improving his overall physical capabilities while not hindering any one of his attributes that make him great. 

A lot to do with genetics, that determine athleticism, nerve impulses/rates, twitch/muscle fiber types and firing patterns.

So you are somewhat limited with what God gave you, but definitely can train to be more explosive and use technique for more power in strides, etc.

I'd really hate him to focus too much on changing anything....just keep doing what he does.  He's so elusive that extra speed isn't really something that he's in dire need of...his skill takes care of business.

• Upvote 1

I know this will 'set-off' a portion of CDC who think this kid is invincible, but I'm wondering if the coaching staff will begin to more finely tune Hughes' overall time on ice per game now that we've reached this part of the season.  It was painfully obvious that both BB and EP suffered from varying degrees of fatigue in the late stages of their rookie seasons and if we're truly in a dog-fight for the playoffs in a couple months, it would be nice to have Hughes 100% healthy and as fresh as is possibly expected for his first full pro-season.  Yes, I know it's a balancing act, play him more now for a better chance of making the playoffs vs. saving him for the stretch drive/possible playoffs but I hope management/coaching staff learned from how clearly EP and BB tailed off in their rookie seasons - yes, they suffered from increased scouting/checking from their opponents in the 2nd half of the season, but even considering this, imo they were both clearly fatigued and showing it. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Fanuck said:

I know this will 'set-off' a portion of CDC who think this kid is invincible, but I'm wondering if the coaching staff will begin to more finely tune Hughes' overall time on ice per game now that we've reached this part of the season.  It was painfully obvious that both BB and EP suffered from varying degrees of fatigue in the late stages of their rookie seasons and if we're truly in a dog-fight for the playoffs in a couple months, it would be nice to have Hughes 100% healthy and as fresh as is possibly expected for his first full pro-season.  Yes, I know it's a balancing act, play him more now for a better chance of making the playoffs vs. saving him for the stretch drive/possible playoffs but I hope management/coaching staff learned from how clearly EP and BB tailed off in their rookie seasons - yes, they suffered from increased scouting/checking from their opponents in the 2nd half of the season, but even considering this, imo they were both clearly fatigued and showing it. 

I think Quinn might have a higher motor than both Ep40 and BB.  His in game stamina is excellent.  He may not need the same attention.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Silky mitts said:

Worth noting that Makar has 24 in 37 games and is on pace to do it in 46 games, so if he keeps up his pace, he'll beat Hughes :angry:.

Almost feels a bit like Crosby and Ovechkin of 2005-06 (not quite) with two insane offensive defensemen having unbelievable rookie years in the same season.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Worth noting that Makar has 24 in 37 games and is on pace to do it in 46 games, so if he keeps up his pace, he'll beat Hughes :angry:.

Almost feels a bit like Crosby and Ovechkin of 2005-06 (not quite) with two insane offensive defensemen having unbelievable rookie years in the same season.

No doubt Makar is also an unbelievable talent .

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

The Avs are in a bit of a slump though. It'll be close. 

• Upvote 1

On 1/7/2020 at 2:50 PM, Fanuck said:

Green said himself, with Quinn's effortless skating technique, he's able to skate miles without really exhausting himself.  I believe he has a lot more stored reserves than Petterson or Brock so he should be fine as the season veers towards the playoff season.

On 1/7/2020 at 1:20 PM, Top Sven Baercheese said:

Already ranked as the #2 player to come out of the 2018 draft, with only Dahlin in front of him. A home run. 

And even then, Dahlin is the better all around defenceman, but I'd argue Hughes' offensive abilities are even better than Dahlin.

• Like 1