The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

Who Wins The Calder?  It’s close but I’d give the Calder to Hughes.  He got more points.  Giving the award to Makar based on scoring % is tantamount to giving potential points to Makar as if he earned those points.  He didn’t. You can’t just allot points based on percentage because you feel like he may have passed Quinn Hughes if he had been healthy, he could have gone through a scoring slump, we don’t know but you can’t just give those points to Makar for free.  The points Quinn Hughes got he earned. Makar had injury problems, he was inconsistent and faded in the second half of the season, and he’s a FULL year older than Hughes.

Hughes narrow margin win. 

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

Who Wins The Calder?  It’s close but I’d give the Calder to Hughes.  He got more points.  Giving the award to Makar based on scoring % is tantamount to giving potential points to Makar as if he earned those points.  He didn’t. You can’t just allot points based on percentage because you feel like he may have passed Quinn Hughes if he had been healthy, he could have gone through a scoring slump, we don’t know but you can’t just give those points to Makar for free.  The points Quinn Hughes got he earned. Makar had injury problems, he was inconsistent and faded in the second half of the season, and he’s a FULL year older than Hughes.

Yeah I'd certainly expect it to be a very close vote. I'd pick Hughes by a hair, but I expect Makar to win it.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

I think you are correct. Makar is a good player, but he also had an established supporting cast on a contending team. Hughes simply meant more to his team this season, and looked like the more exciting player out of the two.

On 9/16/2020 at 8:45 AM, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Quinn Hughes on Sportsnet 650:

"The biggest thing I learned is we have a really good team. The people say the future, future, future but we're almost there. The time is now. We can play with the top teams in the league and we're really excited about the next season."

On the suspected injury during the playoffs: "I don't know if I'm allowed to disclose anything. It was hard to recover but the breaks helped. I've got to stay on top of things and don't let them linger. I'm good to go now."

On Tanev’s influence off the ice: "Chris is the first person who brought me in and took me for dinner. For a young player, it's important. If there's ever a problem or I needed anything its been Chris."

On his current off-season plan: "Right now, I'm taking a couple of weeks off. I want to be hungry when I get back. We don't know when the season is going to start. For me, it's a really good opportunity to get 5-10% better."

On coaching staff: "They've been unbelievable with me. They're great communicators and motivators. As a coach its important to communicate with players. I've been lucky to have them. It's only year 1 and hopefully, we've got a long time together."

Character kid. Petey, Boeser, Horvat, Miller, Hughes. They are all skill player with good character and class-acts on and off the ice. This team is in good hands going forward.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lancaster said:

I wonder if it would be possible for Quinn Hughes to be paired with Edler?

I know they are both LHD.... but Ehrhoff was also a LHD, but the Ehrhoff/Edler combo was perhaps one of the best pairing the Canucks ever had.  

Pretty sure that Quinn can play either side. I believe he mentioned that shortly after he was drafted.

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Lancaster said:

I wonder if it would be possible for Quinn Hughes to be paired with Edler?

I know they are both LHD.... but Ehrhoff was also a LHD, but the Ehrhoff/Edler combo was perhaps one of the best pairing the Canucks ever had.  

I think this is a very real possibility longer term depending on what we manage to find for right vs left D. Edler, then (hopefully) Juolevi longer term (or a trade/UFA if he doesn't manage to get to that level).

Long term something like:

Juolevi, Hughes

Rathbone, Woo

Edler, Tryamkin

Or we can sign Pietrangelo ::D

On 9/18/2020 at 7:56 PM, aGENT said:

I think this is a very real possibility longer term depending on what we manage to find for right vs left D. Edler, then (hopefully) Juolevi longer term (or a trade/UFA if he doesn't manage to get to that level).

Long term something like:

Juolevi, Hughes

Rathbone, Woo

Edler, Tryamkin

Or we can sign Pietrangelo ::D

Realistically,  how many more years do you think Edler has in him?

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, AbrasiveAjax said:

Realistically,  how many more years do you think Edler has in him?

I could easily see him slide down to third pair over the next 2-4 years (4 less likely unless he stays VERY healthy) if he wants to.

Edited by aGENT

41 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I could easily see him slide down to third pair over the next 2-4 years (4 less likely unless he stays VERY healthy) if he wants to.

Alot of his game is still there however but his foot speed is becoming an issue imo. I give him 2 more seasons of good hockey. Any more and I think he becomes a liability. He may still try to hang on though.

• Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Alot of his game is still there however but his foot speed is becoming an issue imo. I give him 2 more seasons of good hockey. Any more and I think he becomes a liability. He may still try to hang on though.

Yup. I'd still take a moderately slower Edler on my third pair any day though. Top 4 would be an issue however. But I don't see him there if he lasts more than two more years.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Brock Botanen said:

Honest question. Would anyone trade Hughes for Dahlin straight up? I wouldnt

I cant believe how good this kid is. Absolute stud!

I'm happy with either.  Dahlin of course being the full package but Quinn's mobility and talent for the entire game (shooting, passing, creating off the rush, back-check, evading checkers) is all so complete, minus having the size to be a dominant hitter (not that that's what we need him for).  I might take Rasmus by a hair, but no disrespect to our GOAT either.

3 hours ago, Brock Botanen said:

Honest question. Would anyone trade Hughes for Dahlin straight up? I wouldnt

I cant believe how good this kid is. Absolute stud!

Higher ceiling lower floor in Dahlin

vs

Lower ceiling higher floor in Hughes

I'd probably pick Dahlin. He already puts up extremely good offensive numbers, like Hughes and has more room for growth than Hughes. No disrespect to Hughes who's a goat but Dahlin has the most potential out of any defenseman in the NHL today.

Unfortunately for Dahlin he's on a team like Buffalo. Developing there could be like trying to drive a boat that's anchored.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, drummerboy said:

Is there any legit info or stats on Quinn playing the right side?   
Im very curious how he would do on the right.   
It would make finding him a partner/top pairing dman easier and cheaper.  

I'm not sure about stats, but when asked about it at the draft, he said he played left side more often, but that he was also comfortable with right side I believe.