-Vintage Canuck-

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

Recommended Posts

13 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Google stated 188 lbs for Henrik, I believe. And varying heights- though I thought I recalled 6'1 as being generous. So Petey is an inch taller as well, and possibly still growing. I see 190 as a low end, and maybe even a tad over 200 at the high... though you really never know. I shot up from 155lbs in grade 12 to 185 pounds in a couple years after college, and that wasn't fat... just genetics.

 

Either way, he's gonna get much stronger, and I think when that happens we are going to be lucky to have one of the top ten players in the league. Bank on it.

Far as I recall, Daniel has always been listed at 6'1" and Henrik has always been listed at 6'2". Oddly, I think Daniel was often a pound or two heavier.

 

All that said, Petey plays a bit more of a physical game too, so there's merit in him bulking up a bit.

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Both Anthony Stewart and Justin Bourne have ranked our Quinn Hughes at the top of the Canadian Division defensemen rankings heading into the final decision when puck drop will resume. Noteworthy addition on including Schmidt on Stewart's list after ripping on the Canucks throughout the Bubble Playoffs earlier this year (hmmm). 

  • Thanks 1
  • Hydration 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, NaveJoseph said:

Kind of unreal seeing Hughes above Weber. I agree with Stewart's list more than Bourne's.

IMO Weber and Hughes are interchangeable at 1 and 2 as of right now. Weber is still really good and the best D on either list away from the puck(defensively, physically, blocking shots, PK). Weber's old though while Hughes is a sophomore. Weber might have a gear like Chara/Marleau and can play till his 40s but Hughes is gonna be good for a long time.

 

I agree with Chabot at 3, grossly underrated.

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/9/2020 at 2:35 PM, Harvey Specter said:

 

Both Anthony Stewart and Justin Bourne have ranked our Quinn Hughes at the top of the Canadian Division defensemen rankings heading into the final decision when puck drop will resume. Noteworthy addition on including Schmidt on Stewart's list after ripping on the Canucks throughout the Bubble Playoffs earlier this year (hmmm). 

Mr Bean is going to fall off a cliff next season, no way he should be anywhere near top 5 now. Weber is underrated imo, he still has it all, offense, defense, grit and physicality. Chabot is the one to look out for that could rival Hughes to be #1 imo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ruilin96 said:

Mr Bean is going to fall off a cliff next season, no way he should be anywhere near top 5 now. Weber is underrated imo, he still has it all, offense, defense, grit and physicality. Chabot is the one to look out for that could rival Hughes to be #1 imo.

Yeah, I was kind of stunned Bourne had Gio so high this year.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I expect Quinn to have a hard time this season, will have to play more defensive minutes. Will get banged around alot more. Nate is good but he is no defensive defenceman. Honestly think we are in trouble.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/13/2020 at 8:11 AM, Mr. Nub Nub said:

I expect Quinn to have a hard time this season, will have to play more defensive minutes. Will get banged around alot more. Nate is good but he is no defensive defenceman. Honestly think we are in trouble.

 

There's always the potential for a sophomore slump, but I think the opposite--I think he'll take a sophomore leap. He made Tanev look like an offensive defenseman at times, but Schmidt is a real two way defenseman. That could be a really good pairing. He'll also be on the first unit PP the whole year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/13/2020 at 8:11 AM, Mr. Nub Nub said:

I expect Quinn to have a hard time this season, will have to play more defensive minutes. Will get banged around alot more. Nate is good but he is no defensive defenceman. Honestly think we are in trouble.

 

Doubt it. 

 

For starters, I doubt Hughes-Schmidt are a pairing outside of occasional use (perhaps if pushing for a goal, late in a game etc). Far better to split those guys on to the top two pairs and have both of them on the ice for 50 minutes a game.

 

Second, Schmidt played some of the hardest minutes/highest QOC in the league last year. Pretty sure he's ok defensively. Also likely why we see him pair with Edler IMO.

 

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Doubt it. 

 

For starters, I doubt Hughes-Schmidt are a pairing outside of occasional use (perhaps if pushing for a goal, late in a game etc). Far better to split those guys on to the top two pairs and have both of them on the ice for 50 minutes a game.

 

Second, Schmidt played some of the hardest minutes/highest QOC in the league last year. Pretty sure he's ok defensively. Also likely why we see him pair with Edler IMO.

 

 

You think Hughes goes with Myers? Personally, I thought Myers really dragged Hughes down last year while they were together. I expect a Hughes-Schmidt first pairing with Schmidt-Edler for the PK1 unit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

You think Hughes goes with Myers? Personally, I thought Myers really dragged Hughes down last year while they were together. I expect a Hughes-Schmidt first pairing with Schmidt-Edler for the PK1 unit.

Or perhaps Harmonic (similar role as Tanev) if we manage to sign him, yes.

 

Alternately we may also see Edler-Hughes and Schmidt-Myers pairings occasionally as well.

 

IMO, it makes little sense to pair our two best D, Hughes and Schmidt regularly. If you do that, those players are both only on the ice for +/-25 of 60 minutes. if you put them on separate pairs, one of them is on the ice for +/- 50 minutes. The latter is far preferred IMO.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Or perhaps Harmonic (similar role as Tanev) if we manage to sign him, yes.

 

Alternately we may also see Edler-Hughes and Schmidt-Myers pairings occasionally as well.

 

IMO, it makes little sense to pair our two best D, Hughes and Schmidt regularly. If you do that, those players are both only on the ice for +/-25 of 60 minutes. if you put them on separate pairs, one of them is on the ice for +/- 50 minutes. The latter is far preferred IMO.

Though I do expect Schmidt-Hughes, I could definitely see an Edler-Hughes pairing actually and wouldn't be surprised by one. Hamonic would also give us a lot of more viable options if that worked out.

  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Though I do expect Schmidt-Hughes, I could definitely see an Edler-Hughes pairing actually and wouldn't be surprised by one. Hamonic would also give us a lot of more viable options if that worked out.

Real question is do you think we see a dip in Hughes production at the start of the season due to him getting used to a new defense partner? Or will it just be smooth sailing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dats hockey said:

Real question is do you think we see a dip in Hughes production at the start of the season due to him getting used to a new defense partner? Or will it just be smooth sailing?

I think if he is paired with a solid defensive guy who has hockey sense and can skate, he will be fine.  Edler (but then Quinn has to play rd, which Green doesn't like), Schmitt (which means the two best offensive dmen are playing together, although Schmitt is good defensively), or they somehow trade Benn and add Hamonic (who would be a very good fit + his physicality, but seems more of second pairing guy).

 

I really don't want to see Q with Myers.

 

Ideally...

Edler  Schmitt

Hughes  Hamonic

Juolevi  Myers

Rathbone 

 

PP  Hughes/Schmitt

     

PK  Edler/Hamonic

  • Hydration 1
  • Vintage 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Hughes on the top of that list? Sure.

 

Schmidt on the list at all? Dunno about that... but I'm excited that he believes we have 2 of the top 5 dmen in the division...

 

As for the pairings, I do agree we will see Schmidt on a different pairing from Hughes except in special occasions. 

 

I fully expect to see Hughes and Hamonic together if they can find chemistry. Hughes and Tanev made each other better, and I think we will see Green try to replicate that. Schmidt probably goes with Edler, leaving Myers with probably OJ.

 

Considering Tanev was typically out for large parts of seasons and wasn't particularly physical, I kind of view Hamonic as a replacement as a wash over the course of a season. if not, a very small downgrade at worst. So that leaves Schmidt as a replacement to Stecher, which is a HUGE upgrade. (Bless Stechers soul).

 

I'm happy with our D this year. I believe having 2 d pairings that are a scoring threat is going to make a big difference for us.

Edited by kloubek

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kloubek said:

Hughes on the top of that list? Sure.

 

Schmidt on the list at all? Dunno about that... but I'm excited that he believes we have 2 of the top 5 dmen in the division...

 

As for the pairings, I do agree we will see Schmidt on a different pairing from Hughes except in special occasions. 

 

I fully expect to see Hughes and Hamonic together if they can find chemistry. Hughes and Tanev made each other better, and I think we will see Green try to replicate that. Schmidt probably goes with Edler, leaving Myers with probably OJ.

 

Considering Tanev was typically out for large parts of seasons and wasn't particularly physical, I kind of view Hamonic as a replacement as a wash over the course of a season. if not, a very small downgrade at worst. So that leaves Schmidt as a replacement to Stecher, which is a HUGE upgrade. (Bless Stechers soul).

 

I'm happy with our D this year. I believe having 2 d pairings that are a scoring threat is going to make a big difference for us.

I don't know that much about Hamonic's specific skillset, but Tanev, although a defensive d-man, was also a pretty strong skater, which I think played into his ability to work well with Hughes. I'm not sure if Hamonic has that as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I don't know that much about Hamonic's specific skillset, but Tanev, although a defensive d-man, was also a pretty strong skater, which I think played into his ability to work well with Hughes. I'm not sure if Hamonic has that as well.

I think Tanev is a slightly better skater than Hamonic, but neither are slugs. Its more the style of play, and the fact both can bail out their pairing partner as he pinches in. While neither score a lot of goals, they are both pretty close to equally capable of doing so imo.

 

Don't get me wrong - I think Tanev is a very good player. I'm sorry to see him go, and I do think he is a bit of a better player overall than Hamonic, but I think if they find chemistry that Hamonic can play a similar (overall) game for Hughes as Tanev did.

 

Hamonic is more physical, which offsets the small size of Hughes better than Tanev, and he is injured less often. I think it is those two traits which makes the swap somewhat close in value.Tanev is perhaps a bit faster, and likely better defensively 5 on 5. That latter point is important, because 5 on 5 has been our weakness in recent years past. It will be interesting to see how Hamonic pans out, but with the addition of Schmidt I am fully confident we will have a better D this season. I believe we spend more time on the offensive zone, and any small reduction in defensive acumen Hamonic may have against Tanev will likely be offset due to this. And come playoff time, I am WAY more confident in Hamonic's ability to absorb punishment with no ill effect.

 

Very curious to see what he will actually end up signing for both in aav and term.

Edited by kloubek
  • Hydration 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/7/2021 at 10:54 AM, kloubek said:

I think Tanev is a slightly better skater than Hamonic, but neither are slugs. Its more the style of play, and the fact both can bail out their pairing partner as he pinches in. While neither score a lot of goals, they are both pretty close to equally capable of doing so imo.

 

Don't get me wrong - I think Tanev is a very good player. I'm sorry to see him go, and I do think he is a bit of a better player overall than Hamonic, but I think if they find chemistry that Hamonic can play a similar (overall) game for Hughes as Tanev did.

 

Hamonic is more physical, which offsets the small size of Hughes better than Tanev, and he is injured less often. I think it is those two traits which makes the swap somewhat close in value.Tanev is perhaps a bit faster, and likely better defensively 5 on 5. That latter point is important, because 5 on 5 has been our weakness in recent years past. It will be interesting to see how Hamonic pans out, but with the addition of Schmidt I am fully confident we will have a better D this season. I believe we spend more time on the offensive zone, and any small reduction in defensive acumen Hamonic may have against Tanev will likely be offset due to this. And come playoff time, I am WAY more confident in Hamonic's ability to absorb punishment with no ill effect.

 

Very curious to see what he will actually end up signing for both in aav and term.

Not sure exactly what space we have to fit him in but anything like Benn's contract I would be happy with (2 x 2mil).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know everybody subscribes to the Church of Pettersson - what an unbelievably gifted player, and surprisingly good defensively already.
JT Miller is our scoring leader and the heartbeat of the team.

Bo Horvat proved in the bubble that he is the ideal Captain and capable of carrying the team on his back.


But I can assure you that Quinn Hughes is the single best player on the team. 

He's thicker, more mature, and ready to take the reigns.

Edited by nergish
  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.