The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, Playoff Beered said:

Quinn Hughes has now played one seasons worth of games (82) and has 65 points.  

Would set the new Canuck record for points in a season by a defenseman if he had those totals in one season. As it stands, he might have to wait until his third year to have a legitimate crack at that record unless he goes off the rails with offense this year.

23 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

My post was in regards to this article 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thescore.com/nhl/news/2098403/amp

The score sucks. Cale has 60% of his points on the PP compared to Quinn 40% and last season Quinns PP points were called out by Cale fans.

Cale has spent 70% of his time with their top-line who dominate possesion.

Honestly not even being a homer but I have watched every game the Avs have played and I find Quinn creates way more offense while Cale seems to just be in the mix if that makes sense.

Defensively they both struggle at times but  Cale overall has had a better partner and let's be honest, our boys were a trainwreck for most of the first 7 games and needs to be acknowledged when assessing Quinn. 

• Cheers 1

Did not watch the game yesterday, so I'm not sure if anything's changed, but this has been on my mind for awhile.

Quinn's speed has steadily declined since the end of college and I think it's becoming apparent this year to the average fan. I was in the same freshman class at UM as Quinn and so I've followed his career for a long time, and speed AND edgework were two of the elite components to his game in college. People now talk as if Quinn was never known for his speed, when in reality he was at times touted as the fastest/quickest skater in his draft. It wasn't worrying last year because he was still putting up elite production in terms of raw and analytical stats, but his game seems much more affected this year. I don't care much about his point totals so far because the underlying metrics and eye test would say he would have a hard time keeping his point rate up, and I think a lot of it has to do with his objective decline in speed.

I don't know the reasons behind this and everything is speculation, but I hope it's because he's been adding too much weight, which can be easily fixed (he was a better defender and offensive player when he had elite quickness). The alternatives that I can think of are that he's playing too much, which wouldn't be ideal because the NHL demands a grueling schedule every season, or that he physically peaked a LOT earlier than most athletes do. 

I know it might seem like I'm being a downer, but just wanted to share some worries I had. Would love to hear what you guys think. Maybe I'm projecting a lot of my own struggles regressing in high school sports, but I imagine Quinn must be at least a little frustrated that he can't move nearly the same way he did awhile ago, I know it was hard for me.

Edit: I'm going to link a clip of Quinn's first point. I don't think we'e seen anything like this out of him for awhile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtJts_wJ6OY

Edited by Grape

17 minutes ago, Grape said:

Did not watch the game yesterday, so I'm not sure if anything's changed, but this has been on my mind for awhile.

Quinn's speed has steadily declined since the end of college and I think it's becoming apparent this year to the average fan. I was in the same freshman class at UM as Quinn and so I've followed his career for a long time, and speed AND edgework were two of the elite components to his game in college. People now talk as if Quinn was never known for his speed, when in reality he was at times touted as the fastest/quickest skater in his draft. It wasn't worrying last year because he was still putting up elite production in terms of raw and analytical stats, but his game seems much more affected this year. I don't care much about his point totals so far because the underlying metrics and eye test would say he would have a hard time keeping his point rate up, and I think a lot of it has to do with his objective decline in speed.

I don't know the reasons behind this and everything is speculation, but I hope it's because he's been adding too much weight, which can be easily fixed (he was a better defender and offensive player when he had elite quickness). The alternatives that I can think of are that he's playing too much, which wouldn't be ideal because the NHL demands a grueling schedule every season, or that he physically peaked a LOT earlier than most athletes do. 

I know it might seem like I'm being a downer, but just wanted to share some worries I had. Would love to hear what you guys think.

Edit: I'm going to link a clip of Quinn's first point. I don't think we'e seen anything like this out of him for awhile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtJts_wJ6OY

I think it may be more not used to NHL workload quite yet. Jumping from College to playing 20+ a night in condensed schedule can take a year or two to get used to. NHL is a physical league too so it can wear you down. Adding that extra weight may take time to get used to as well and that just adds another layer of getting use to things. At 180 he isn't very heavy though, even at 5'10" so I have my doubts that he's too big.

Quinn's has had trouble at defending speed and/or size though. In the playoffs it showed. He's probably the most agile skater in the NHL but doesn't have as much top end speed as some of the good skaters in the league and people who know how to use their size give him trouble in the D-zone.

Nevertheless he's still one of the best offensive defensemen in the league. 65 points in his first 82 games. He'll likely grow to be a better defender over time and by then be in the Norris talks.

Need to find a long-term fit to partner Hughes though. That should be a priority when it comes to our D-core

This Hughes-Benn experiment needs to end. They were caught fishing 1 minute into the game on just brutal coverage, that was Hughes' man who scored and he's on the other side of the net covering no one when the Habs were basically outnumbered 3-2.

Sadly we don't have many calming defensive defencemen in our stock anymore. Tanev brought out the best of Hughes but 7th-defenceman-Benn is a big step down. I wanted Schmidt to play with Hughes because they're both mobile and Schmidt was a sturdy defender in Vegas but he's been a bit slow to start with Vancouver. That leaves Edler and Myers. Hughes played well with Myers and I really think Myers has started the season strongly defensively so maybe that's worth going back to. 

All the points he puts up doesn't mean anything to me when you leave your man wide open in front of the net. Hughes isn't getting the scrutiny he deserves because he puts up points but a couple of cheap PP assists isn't going to win you games when you play this bad defensively and he needs help. Green trying Benn was a nice idea but he needs more quality.

• Cheers 1

On 2/2/2021 at 11:36 PM, -AJ- said:

I do wonder if Juolevi can be groomed to be the defensive d-man that Hughes needs. Hughes really does miss Tanev.

I wonder if some posters really understand just how bad Hughes is defensively?

That plus minus number shows something alarming.

Hughes is on the ice for 24 goals against.

That is pretty much half the total goals against and he only plays around 18 min a game..

18 minutes is less than 1/3 of the game and the opposition is lighting it up while he is on the ice.

The opposition scores more than is scored on in that 1/3 of the game.

IMO Hughes is a tremendous trade asset, better two young healty "Edler's" or "Ohlunds" than one Hughes but if not them, then Dahlen and Sergachev. The Canucks have the assets to get them.

8 hours ago, Lazurus said:

That is pretty much half the total goals against and he only plays around 18 min a game..

18 minutes is less than 1/3 of the game and the opposition is lighting it up while he is on the ice.

IMO Hughes is a tremendous trade asset, better two young healty "Edler's" or "Ohlunds" than one Hughes but if not them, then Dahlen and Sergachev. The Canucks have the assets to get them.

Hmm, wonder if a re-signed Hughes and say Gaudette can net Segachev and Cirelli?  That would solve two problems (net a two-way D-man who can play big minutes and a Selke-caliber guy who can probably handle 3rd line minutes), and since many assume that Hughes gets $6.5 in his next deal and if Gaudette gets $1.5 to $2, they can include a minor piece back (or dump cap elsewhere).  The Lightning will need to free up cap, even with Gaborik and Nilsson still on LTIR (once Kucherov comes back, that's $9.5 million).  

8 hours ago, Lazurus said:

:picard:

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Who'd entertain the thought of trading one of the best offensive D in the league while only a 20 year old 2nd year pro.

Score 7 - 3

Hughes on the ice for 5 goals

One he assists on

3 he is on the ice against

1 he is in the penalty box

So he is - 3 on the night.

This takes him to being on the ice for over half the goals scored AGAINST the team. With an average of just around 17 minutes per nght.

8 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Panicky, reactionary arse-hats. That's who.

He was so dynamic

Son of a gun the other team scored more goals while he was on the ice than any other player on the team, hey, lets blame Virtanen eh? Or Green? YAAAA!

Too bad the team lost again if he wasn't there maybe they only score 3 goals against instead of 7.

10 minutes ago, Lazurus said:

Score 7 - 3

Hughes on the ice for 5 goals

One he assists on

3 he is on the ice against

1 he is in the penalty box

So he is - 3 on the night.

This takes him to being on the ice for over half the goals scored AGAINST the team. With an average of just around 17 minutes per nght.

He was so dynamic

Son of a gun the other team scored more goals while he was on the ice than any other player on the team, hey, lets blame Virtanen eh? Or Green? YAAAA!

Too bad the team lost again if he wasn't there maybe they only score 3 goals against instead of 7.

Not arguing he hasn't been bad defensively. Everyone has. Point is you're judging him in the worst sort of environment to make a judgement on a player like him, when the whole team has been garbage. He isn't like Petey where he's struggling overall either. He's been solid offensively. Just taking the bad isn't a good mindset when someone's been good in another regard.

Leads the team in scoring and all defenseman in the league right now. 2nd year player and already one of the best offensive D in the league.

Lets trade him though.

Edited by Junkyard Dog
  • Vintage 1

Nobody is suggesting Hughes is playing well, particularly in his own end. But you don't trade a 20 year old phenom, going through a tough patch, in is sophomore season.

That's dumb.

Edited by aGENT
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1