Sign in to follow this  
-Vintage Canuck-

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

7 hours ago, Chronic.Canucks.Fan said:

Not sure exactly what space we have to fit him in but anything like Benn's contract I would be happy with (2 x 2mil).

Report was between $800k and $1.2m for one year.

I'd wager it will be the same $1,075,000 that we'll 'add' by waiving Benn.

Edited by aGENT

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Report was between $800k and $1.2m for one year.

I'd wager it will be the same $1,075,000 that we'll 'add' by waiving Benn.

That's awesome. I definitely wasn't saying we would sign him for 2x2, rather that those would be fair numbers for him any time, flat cap and COVID aside. 

• Hydration 1

On 2/11/2020 at 7:00 PM, Alflives said:

OJ is better than Dahlin ... in tennis. :lol:

Fortnite.....:ph34r:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/16/2020 at 12:52 PM, higgyfan said:

I think if he is paired with a solid defensive guy who has hockey sense and can skate, he will be fine.  Edler (but then Quinn has to play rd, which Green doesn't like), Schmitt (which means the two best offensive dmen are playing together, although Schmitt is good defensively), or they somehow trade Benn and add Hamonic (who would be a very good fit + his physicality, but seems more of second pairing guy).

I really don't want to see Q with Myers.

Ideally...

Edler  Schmitt

Hughes  Hamonic

Juolevi  Myers

Rathbone 

PP  Hughes/Schmitt

PK  Edler/Hamonic

Welp it’s a smooth sailing I guess

No hesitation from this kid. He is very confident in his game. His assist on BB's first goal was unreal. His pass on the 2nd BB goal had to be 100 feet. 

Hughes slides into 133rd in all-time Canuck scoring with his assist tonight.  Crooked numbers compared to those around him.

132.  Garry Valk LW 172 24 35 59
133.  Quinn Hughes D 75 8 51 59
134.  Artem Chubarov C 228 25 33 58
135.  Willie Mitchell D 264 10 48 58

3 hours ago, Stierlitz said:

As much as I love to hear these stats, for every one, Makar beats him shortly after. Makar's on pace to get his 60th career point by game 67.

17 hours ago, -AJ- said:

As much as I love to hear these stats, for every one, Makar beats him shortly after. Makar's on pace to get his 60th career point by game 67.

Random question, but do you think Makar gets the same number of points if he's not on Colorado? He's literally supported by one of the most dynamic forward groups in the NHL. Not saying ours isn't, but ours is also still in development compared with Colorado.

Both players are amazing in the end though.

• Thanks 1
  • Hydration 1

2 hours ago, The Lock said:

Random question, but do you think Makar gets the same number of points if he's not on Colorado? He's literally supported by one of the most dynamic forward groups in the NHL. Not saying ours isn't, but ours is also still in development compared with Colorado.

Both players are amazing in the end though.

Maybe not quite the same, but I do believe that Makar is probably the better offensive defenseman and even in the same situation as Hughes, would probably have better offensive production. Of course, it's mostly just speculation at that point.

Offensively Quinn's been good. Defensively Quinn hasn't.

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Offensively Quinn's been good. Defensively Quinn hasn't.

Agreed. And since he is still technically a Defenseman he needs to shore that sh*t up. The offence will still come ridiculously easy to him. Thing that really irks me about his game lately are the long bomb passes the result in icings most of the time and then you have him on the ice for D-zone face offs.

49 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

Agreed. And since he is still technically a Defenseman he needs to shore that sh*t up. The offence will still come ridiculously easy to him. Thing that really irks me about his game lately are the long bomb passes the result in icings most of the time and then you have him on the ice for D-zone face offs.

Except those passes are a huge upside to his game. When they work, they result in plays like Bo's OT game winner in game 2 of the playoffs against St. Louis. I have absolutely no problem with him trying those passes in games, to me the onus is more on the forwards to get better at receiving them. And even though the entire team has struggled defensively to start the year Quinn still has a corsi of 49.3%, the lowest GA/60 of any of our top 4 dmen, is 2nd in the league for Dman scoring, tied for 2nd in the league in points among all skaters and tied for 1st in the league in assists

Edited by 204CanucksFan
Additional info
  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

Last night was Hughes' best game so far this year, granted it was against a Senators team that did not play well. Hughes was confident on his skates. Most of his passes worked and did not lead to icing. His stick work was great in the D zone breaking up plays against much bigger forwards.

• Like 1

As a 10.2(c) RFA Hughes next contract probably won't be signed until the last minute. Similar to others before him. Because these guys can't be offer sheeted it often leads to the team waiting to see the market before dealing.

His comparable will be Makar although Makar will get more.  He won the Calder Hughes did not.  Hughes size and durabillity and defensive play may be seen as below Makar's even if point production may favour Hughes.

I would expect that the Canucks may wait for Makar to be signed before Hughes next deal is inked. So we may have a summer of people worrying lol. Since Hughes and Petey are now with the same agency it will be very interesting to see who signs first.  I expect it may be Petey as his comparable, Barzal, recently set the market with a 3 year 7m bridge deal. 

However, with both of them having the same representation, in a weird way it may play out that Petey's contract takes longer as well.  Leverage may be the agent's aim by holding off on both of them = as we know that Hughes deal may drag out.  Will be interesting.

Edited by fanfor42

I expect both Petey and Hughes to sign 2- or 3-year bridge deals, given the state of the cap right now. Probably in the $6-$7M range depending on how the rest of this season goes.

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

I wonder if Pete may have a similar mind set that Nathan MacKinnon.  Taking less so the team can keep all their high end talent.  Too bad more guys didn't think that way. B)

Right now I'm not sure if Quinn is helping his stock or not. He's scoring points but has been brutal defensively, much worse than last year. I think Petey and Hughes have regressed a bit and so a bridge contract 6-7M x 2 years for both of them seems fair. 

JB could take the opportunity to just sign them both long term 6-7M x 6 years but I'm sure the kids will want to prove themselves properly over an 82 game schedule when they're playing better. 6x6 in a Covid cap era seems fair for Quinn right now who doesn't kill penalties and has one of our worse +/- on the team. He's really no better overall than Schmidt who can do a bit of everything.

14 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I expect both Petey and Hughes to sign 2- or 3-year bridge deals, given the state of the cap right now. Probably in the $6-$7M range depending on how the rest of this season goes.

I agree. A bridge deal in light of CAP restraints makes sense. The new USA broadcast deal should be along soon. More revenue to raise the CAP. A bridge deal with bonuses.