The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

15 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

You’re not convinced that franchise centreman isn’t Pettersson? I know he’s had a rough start to this season. 

Goes past the start of this season.  He wasn't franchise-centreman worthy in the 2021 season.  Sorry to have to say this, but he's been a disappointment since all the promise he showed in his first two seasons, including the bubble.  With that being said, I still wouldn't trade him...he still has a lot of untapped potential.  He has a good shot at being a franchise winger at some point.  That's a need the Canucks will still need fulfilled.

Edited by bigbadcanucks

34 minutes ago, bigbadcanucks said:

Goes past the start of this season.  He wasn't franchise-centreman worthy in the 2021 season.  Sorry to have to say this, but he's been a disappointment since all the promise he showed in his first two seasons, including the bubble.  With that being said, I still wouldn't trade him...he still has a lot of untapped potential.  He has a good shot at being a franchise winger at some point.  That's a need the Canucks will still need fulfilled.

I would argue that he was what we all wanted in the 2020 playoffs. Over a point-per-game in playoff hockey is pretty amazing.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I would argue that he was what we all wanted in the 2020 playoffs. Over a point-per-game in playoff hockey is pretty amazing.

No quarrel from me...Pettersson in the 2020 Playoffs is the Pettersson standard that I think most of us are hoping he achieves and sustains.  The 2019-2020 regular season was solid as well.  If Pettersson gets back to being that player on a game in/game out basis, then I would suggest that he could very well be the franchise centreman the Canucks need.  But the Pettersson of 2021 season and 2021-2022 season so far, not so much.

Maybe Pettersson is doing the Nate McKinnon one step back five steps forward thing.  I hope he is.

Seeing how this is the Quinn Hughes thread, I'll add that I'm thrilled that the Canucks have him as a cornerstone player. 

Going off on a complete tangent, I wonder if Jim Rutherford has any interest in bringing in Jim Hughes in some sort of player development capacity?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, bigbadcanucks said:

No quarrel from me...Pettersson in the 2020 Playoffs is the Pettersson standard that I think most of us are hoping he achieves and sustains.  The 2019-2020 regular season was solid as well.  If Pettersson gets back to being that player on a game in/game out basis, then I would suggest that he could very well be the franchise centreman the Canucks need.  But the Pettersson of 2021 season and 2021-2022 season so far, not so much.

Maybe Pettersson is doing the Nate McKinnon one step back five steps forward thing.  I hope he is.

Seeing how this is the Quinn Hughes thread, I'll add that I'm thrilled that the Canucks have him as a cornerstone player. 

Going off on a complete tangent, I wonder if Jim Rutherford has any interest in bringing in Jim Hughes in some sort of player development capacity?

I didn't think it possible at first, but I think Hughes actually had the best rookie season in Canucks history, even though he didn't win the Calder. I'd put it ahead of Boeser, Bure, and Petey's rookie campaigns. He looks like the more steady player to me out there, this year for sure. He's steadily been improving his offensive play and this year, regained much of his defensive play.

12 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I didn't think it possible at first, but I think Hughes actually had the best rookie season in Canucks history, even though he didn't win the Calder. I'd put it ahead of Boeser, Bure, and Petey's rookie campaigns. He looks like the more steady player to me out there, this year for sure. He's steadily been improving his offensive play and this year, regained much of his defensive play.

I honestly did not think that Hughes lost his defensive game as badly as his +/- may have indicated.  When you have as many touches as he does with the puck and plays as much as he does, you're bound to have a higher number of actual turnovers and errant plays.  So IMHO, his current defensive play isn't a huge leap forward from where his game actually was last season.

As well, I think the skill level around Hughes has improved from last season to this season so we as Canucks fans have been able to witness Hughes being a beneficiary of this (while he was, for a lack of a better term, a victim of lack of skill around him last season).

And I agree...Hughes in his rookie season did more than Pettersson, Boeser, Bure, Linden, Sedins, et. al. did. Hughes has had a greater impact from Day 1of their career than any other Canuck I can remember.

Edited by bigbadcanucks

Might be most underrated defenseman outside of our market in the league because of his terrible year last year.  Absolutely no whiff of Norris mentions outside of Vancouver people are mad that in a fan vote that Devon Toews is ranked lower than Quinn Hughes.

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Rindiculous said:

Might be most underrated defenseman outside of our market in the league because of his terrible year last year.  Absolutely no whiff of Norris mentions outside of Vancouver people are mad that in a fan vote that Devon Toews is ranked lower than Quinn Hughes.

Toews is definitely underrated, but I think Hughes is as well. A this rate, I expect at least a few 5th place Norris votes for him this year.

7 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Exactly, Quinn. Waste no time on the opinions of others. It's pointless. 

Anyone who doesn't see that Hughes is becoming a far more well rounded defenseman, truly doesn't get it. 

Plus, this is coming from a 22 year old. He has lots of time to become the player he wants to be and we get to see what he becomes. We should be excited we have a player who wants to do this, not disgruntled just because he doesn't play exactly how someone who may or may not know what they're talking about wants.

3 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Plus, this is coming from a 22 year old. He has lots of time to become the player he wants to be and we get to see what he becomes. We should be excited we have a player who wants to do this, not disgruntled just because he doesn't play exactly how someone who may or may not know what they're talking about wants.

He's already becoming the player he wants to be. Those who're disgruntled will continue to be disgruntled regardless of the outcome. 

• Cheers 2

• 2 weeks later...

If he can keep it up and also avoid injury, Hughes is once again on pace to set Canuck defenseman records for assists and points in a season. The current records are 55 assists (Dennis Kearns, 1976-77) and 63 points (Doug Lidster, 1986-87).  Hughes is on pace right now for 4 goals, 63 assists, and 67 points. It's worth noting that our current era of hockey features much less scoring than either the mid-70s or mid-80s did.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

• 3 weeks later...