The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Fox is 24.  He’s a fully matured man.  Hughes is still maturing into his man body.  Hughes is better now and will be way better at 24 than Fox.  Screw the Rags, their players, their fans, and their city.  

#Canucks are our team!  

#Own our home board. 

You're a little much sometimes man 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

• 1 month later...

For his killer season, Hughes finished 11th in All-Star Team voting and 13th in Norris voting. The highest he's finished in Norris voting so far and tied with Edler for the highest a Canuck has finished since 2011-12. Ehrhoff finished 8th in 2010-11 and Jovanovski has the Canuck record at 6th (twice) for Hughes to try to beat.

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, Muttley said:

My favorite Quinn Hughes goal of last year. One of the loudest eruptions from the fans of the season...

Love the poise from Hughes. So fun to have a defenseman like him on our team.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/16/2022 at 3:36 PM, Petey Castiglione said:

Totally hope he's in Jack's ear to come play on the west coast.  We all know it's the best coast, Jack!

With 2 Hughes brothers in New Jersey it would make sense for Devils to try and make a big pitch for Quinn..

3 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

It's funny reading how angry some of the people in the comments are when it's basically this year's Norris voting list.

Nice to see Hughes getting some recognition though.

is Burns really still top 20? 

Huggy comes in at #4 on Pronman’s list of the top players and prospects under 23:

https://theathletic.com/3509131/2022/08/29/nhl-players-prospects-rankings-under-23/

Ahead of him on the list are his brother Jack, Seider, and Zegras.

Hughes is one of only five players (Tkachuk is #5) to make Pronman’s “bubble elite” tier (highest ranking he gives to the current list of under-23’s).

Here’s his writeup (article is probably paywall):

4. Quinn Hughes, D, Vancouver

22 years old | 5-foot-10 | 170 pounds | Shoots left

Drafted: No. 7 in 2018
Skating: Elite
Puck skills: NHL average
Hockey sense: High-end
Compete: NHL average

Analysis: Hughes had a monster season, coming just under a point/game as a 22-year-old defenseman in the NHL and playing major minutes for the Canucks. He’s dynamic with the puck due to his elite skating and playmaking ability. Hughes has a distinct skating stride that makes him highly elusive at both ends and allows his game to have a lot of pace. He makes highly skilled and creative plays with the puck at a high frequency as well. He’ll always be an offense-tilted player, but his defense should be good enough given his mobility and Hughes got regular PK time for the first time this season.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

8 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Huggy comes in at #4 on Pronman’s list of the top players and prospects under 23:

https://theathletic.com/3509131/2022/08/29/nhl-players-prospects-rankings-under-23/

Ahead of him on the list are his brother Jack, Seider, and Zegras.

Hughes is one of only five players (Tkachuk is #5) to make Pronman’s “bubble elite” tier (highest ranking he gives to the current list of under-23’s).

Here’s his writeup (article is probably paywall):

4. Quinn Hughes, D, Vancouver

22 years old | 5-foot-10 | 170 pounds | Shoots left

Drafted: No. 7 in 2018
Skating: Elite
Puck skills: NHL average
Hockey sense: High-end
Compete: NHL average

Analysis: Hughes had a monster season, coming just under a point/game as a 22-year-old defenseman in the NHL and playing major minutes for the Canucks. He’s dynamic with the puck due to his elite skating and playmaking ability. Hughes has a distinct skating stride that makes him highly elusive at both ends and allows his game to have a lot of pace. He makes highly skilled and creative plays with the puck at a high frequency as well. He’ll always be an offense-tilted player, but his defense should be good enough given his mobility and Hughes got regular PK time for the first time this season.

I would have Quinn over Zegras, but thye must have valued Zegras being younger.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, c00kies said:

I would have Quinn over Zegras, but thye must have valued Zegras being younger.

It is a little curious, since Hughes outscored Zegras (and as a defenceman versus a forward) and he played higher average minutes than Seider (and obviously scored a lot more points), plus Q is the only player in the top-5 credited with one “elite” skill (skating) and another “high-end” (hockey sense), and an overall skill rating that would actually put him in competition with his brother for the top spot, and easily ahead of the other three (Zegras even has a “below NHL average” rating for his skating).

But he is older than the three players ahead of him on the list, so, like you note, that’s probably the reason he ranks #4.

3 hours ago, JM_ said:

is Burns really still top 20? 

Personally, I think he's actually underrated (though not on this list). I still think he can be a #1 D in the league, but I'm not sure for how much longer that will be true given his age.

Related to Hughes, I actually tend to think he might be slightly overrated, but it can be really hard to assess defensemen, especially given the change in defending style exhibited by those like Makar and Hughes.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, -AJ- said:

Personally, I think he's actually underrated (though not on this list). I still think he can be a #1 D in the league, but I'm not sure for how much longer that will be true given his age.

Related to Hughes, I actually tend to think he might be slightly overrated, but it can be really hard to asses defensemen, especially given the change in defending style exhibited by those like Makar and Hughes.

it is hard. The media tends to focus on point production for d which to me seems off. 

• Vintage 1