The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

Just now, gurn said:

If Hughes goes back to college, there is a good chance his team will go so far into the playoffs in will be too late for him to join the Canucks next season.

That's a really good point.  That would put Hughes behind a full year from reaching his, big money, second contract, right?

I think Hughes believes he in not only ready for the NHL, but that he will be a serious difference maker, and win the Calder.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, gurn said:

If Hughes goes back to college, there is a good chance his team will go so far into the playoffs in will be too late for him to join the Canucks next season.

*But not the Comets ;) 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Dixon Ward said:

I was looking at the HF boards and they have a topic for people list the top 30 drafted prospects right now.  Petersson is anywhere from 2-5th, but averages about 3rd and only Svechnikov is ahead of him as a forward (we'll see).  Hughes is as high as 5th and consistently, from what I saw, in top 10 and the 3rd best defenceman.  Some people say JB isn't good at the top picks but better in the later rounds.  Getting a top 2 forward prospect from a 5th OA and a top 5 defence prospect from 7th OA is pretty impressive imho.

Benning is great a drafting.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

That's a really good point.  That would put Hughes behind a full year from reaching his, big money, second contract, right?

I think Hughes believes he in not only ready for the NHL, but that he will be a serious difference maker, and win the Calder.  

Honestly what more does he have to prove in NCAA let him play out training camping if he good enough sign him and if he has growing pain coming into the NHL let him tough it out what can that hurt. If he need AHL time give him that. Kids confidence is sky high

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Dats hockey said:

Honestly what more does he have to prove in NCAA let him play out training camping if he good enough sign him and if he has growing pain coming into the NHL let him tough it out what can that hurt. If he need AHL time give him that. Kids confidence is sky high

He can't play training camp unless he signs a pro contract. His college season would start prior to if he's leaving that possibility open. If he wants to go back to college, he can't sign a pro contract.

if the kid is open to turning pro now, and open to going to the ahl (which certainly sounds like the case), then there's nothing to be gained from keeping him in college. sign him if he's willing and have him play at whatever pro level he fits at, which I suspect is the nhl. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, tas said:

if the kid is open to turning pro now, and open to going to the ahl (which certainly sounds like the case), then there's nothing to be gained from keeping him in college. sign him if he's willing and have him play at whatever pro level he fits at, which I suspect is the nhl. 

I wouldn’t say there’s “nothing to be gained”...  college is extremely valuable, especially for gym time and bulking up...  but the ahl also offers extended periods off to hit the gym...  so I agree that I’d like to see him signed ASAP 

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

I forgot how great a pair Guddy was with Campbell.  Guddy and Hughes to start the season as our bottom pair?  Tanev and Juiolevi as 3/4.  Edler + Hutton as number one pair?  

Lost me at Edler Hutton top pairing, sounds like a dumpster fire. It could help land Jack next draft... silver lining?  

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 70seven said:

I wouldn’t say there’s “nothing to be gained”...  college is extremely valuable, especially for gym time and bulking up...  but the ahl also offers extended periods off to hit the gym...  so I agree that I’d like to see him signed ASAP 

the AHL isn't on par for training as the NCAA, but it isn't that far off.  The even outr factor is that he will play a full pro schedule, which NCAA players often struggle with coming out of college, BB included.

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, stawns said:

the AHL isn't on par for training as the NCAA, but it isn't that far off.  The even outr factor is that he will play a full pro schedule, which NCAA players often struggle with coming out of college, BB included.

You mean cause they have less gym time cause they spend so much time playing hockey?

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Unfortunately for Hughes his teammate EP is winning the calder

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DrJockitch said:

Edler Stecher seem like the optimum use of those two, they just seem to work.  

Edler Gudbranson really worked last season. Kept Pastrnak - Bergeron - Marchand off the scoresheet, and showed both wingers close up views of the ice surface.

• Upvote 3