The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

2 hours ago, canuckledraggin said:

The only question regarding EP is whether he'll wear #14 or 40. They might as well move his thread to current players.

some 36 players played for the Canucks last year and no one wore either number.  Who'd a thought?

What does Quinn wear?

16 hours ago, Alflives said:

I think Hughes will be talked about as better than Dhalin.  I’m not saying he is (or will be) better, but he will be a far more exciting player, who puts up more points.  There will be many, who find that exciting style as better.  

I think Hughes has a chance of reinventing the way defencemen play.  Much like how Patrick Roy changed the game and changed how the goaltending position was played.  Years from now you’ll see Hughes's influence on young defencemen and how they play.   Nobody plays Defence like Hughes does in the NHL.  You don’t see ‘Rovers’, Hughes will put a new wrinkle in the way future defencemen play.  

Edited by Pure961089

4 hours ago, Googlie said:

How about rushing him into the NHL to be the difference maker in 20 games and help push us into the playoffs, where anything can happen?

And forget bonding with Gadjovich, Lind and Palmu -  how about bonding with Boesser, Horvat and Petterson, who will be his teammates for 2 decades, we hope?

He thinks he is ready and Benning thinks he is ready.  Only Aquaman thinks he should go back to college for a year's more seasoning (hey, I can read A's mind as well as the conspiracy theorists on CDC)!!

I am not doubting he will be the best offensive D on our roster if he started opening night, cause we have 0 offensive D.

Claiming having Hughes will propel us into the playoffs though, damn that is BOLD. Personally I don't want to make the playoffs next year, we still need a high draft pick with high end potential.

I am all for exciting hockey during the regular season though.

12 hours ago, kloubek said:

I doubt it.  Don't get me wrong - I think Hughes will be a good player and is one of the best skaters in the draft this season.  His edgework and speed is elite.  But he doesn't have the all-around game Dahlin does and he has more areas he needs to work on if he wants to end up the best pick of the draft.  In particular his shot is below average.  Luckily, that's the sort of thing that can be improved on.  His size will also continue to work against him until he gets more bulk.  Neither will likely end up keeping him from being an NHLer, but I can see a scenario where he spends a year in Utica to improve upon those two points.

What sets Hughes apart from other defencemen in the NHL is his style of play.  I don’t see it anywhere.  People are going to scoff but the only defencemen that has played his “style of play” in the past is Bobby Orr.  No way I’m not saying Hughes will ever be in the same league as Orr but his Style of Play is very similar.  Watch his Shift by Shift videos.  You’ll see what I mean.  This is why I think Hughes style will be copied by future defencemen that have similar speed.  Hughes has a chance to reinvent the game when it comes to defencemen much like Roy did for goalies.   

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, nergish said:

I think it's pretty clear he's going to have to play himself OFF of the big club.

This is a special kid from a special family, but I'll say this... Go watch video of the two brothers, and tell me Quinn isn't the gifted one. He's doing this from a defensive position. It's compelling. 

I think it's almost disrespectful for all the media to be asking him about Jack. Quinn is a superstar in the making, has the swagger of Patty Kane, but from the backend.

It would be impressive if he can play the way he does and be solid defensively as well. No one is doubting his skating and ability to generate offense, but as a dman, he has to be able to defend amongst all opposition if he is expected to be that #1 guy that logs a ton on minutes. His style of play could put himself out of position, so I'd like to see where his game is at in that aspect. The World Championships is a good start, but is only a small sample size.

5 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

If he wants to stay in College I am fine with that. IF he goes pro and starts the year in Utica I think that would be great also.

Rushing him into the NHL to fill some overpriced seats in the stands isnt worth it. Would like to see him go down to Utica so he can work with staff in our organization vs how things are done at his College school.

The sooner he gets into a proper NHL fitness/eating regime the better for his all around hockey game imo

Its Canucks or College. many on CDC do not understand Utica can be a hack and whack league.

1 hour ago, Canuckster86 said:

Claiming having Hughes will propel us into the playoffs though, damn that is BOLD. 

Help propel - big difference.

I think having Pettersson will propel us, though.

If these lads are 1/2 as good as the ones I saw on first coming to Canada, I will be thrilled .....

Pettersson. -  Gretzky

Horvat -  Messier

Boesser. - Kurri

Virtanen. -  Anderson

Dahlen - Hughes

Sutter - Linseman

Hughes.  -  Coffey

Edler. -  Lowe

Gudbranson - Huddy

Demko - Fuhr

Etc

In my dreams, I know, but still ..................

Edited by Googlie

35 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Well that didn't take long...

Can't believe people worry about that still.  What player would forgo an NHL salary for 2-3 years (I'm excluding that 1st year because not many make the jump to the NHL at 18) to become a free agent?  In the odd case it does happen, it's the later round projects that put it all together in their last year of NCAA that go for free agency.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

What sets Hughes apart from other defencemen in the NHL is his style of play.  I don’t see it anywhere.  People are going to scoff but the only defencemen that has played his “style of play” in the past is Bobby Orr.  No way I’m not saying Hughes will ever be in the same league as Orr but his Style of Play is very similar.  Watch his Shift by Shift videos.  You’ll see what I mean.  This is why I think Hughes style will be copied by future defencemen that have similar speed.  Hughes has a chance to reinvent the game when it comes to defencemen much like Roy did for goalies.   

I don't know about only Orr, that is quite a presumption and is is also presumptuous to compare him in any way with Orr.  There have been several D who used mobility the way that Orr did (in most cases with nowhere near the same success) - Coffey, Leech, Housley, Zubov, to name a few.  Don't bury this young kid under an overburden of excessive expectations - let him find his way.

18 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

More like:

Pettersson - Pettersson

Horvat - Horvat

Boeser - Boeser

Virtanen - Virtanen

Dahlen - Dahlen

Sutter - Sutter

Hughes - Hughes

Edler - Murzyn

Gudbranson - Real Gudbranson

Demko - Demko

Comparing Edler to Murzyn is ridiculous, comparing him to Lowe (as was done in the post you replied to) is simply entirely inapplicable - they aren't the same kind of animal at all, as to comparing players to themselves, i.e. letting them develop into their own best version of themselves, that is entirely apt.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Googlie said:

Help propel - big difference.

I think having Pettersson will propel us, though.

If these lads are 1/2 as good as the ones I saw on first coming to Canada, I will be thrilled .....

Pettersson. -  Gretzky

Horvat -  Messier

Boesser. - Kurri

Virtanen. -  Anderson

Dahlen - Hughes

Sutter - Linseman

Hughes.  -  Coffey

Edler. -  Lowe

Gudbranson - Huddy

Demko - Fuhr

Etc

In my dreams, I know, but still ..................

I like it.  But Anderson was a pretty good scorer and had a lot of talent.  I’d say Dahlen - Anderson and  Woo - Lowe.   I’m there with you, I can see it.  They’re building a core much like the Oiler’s Dynasty 

Edited by Pure961089

7 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

I don't know about only Orr, that is quite a presumption and is is also presumptuous to compare him in any way with Orr.  There have been several D who used mobility the way that Orr did (in most cases with nowhere near the same success) - Coffey, Leech, Housley, Zubov, to name a few.  Don't bury this young kid under an overburden of excessive expectations - let him find his way.

If Hughes could carve out a Leetch type of career, that would be amazing. Except change the part where he wins us a cup rather than beating us for one.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, cory40 said:

Its Canucks or College. many on CDC do not understand Utica can be a hack and whack league.

I watch a lot of Comets games and it's a great league, focused on development.  It's no more of a hack and whack league than the NHL

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, rekker said:

I lean towards the college route myself. I see no need to rush the kid. Another year to get stronger and light up the NCAA isn't a bad idea. 

Another year in college is fine. I don’t think anyone would complain. But the chance of him coming in as “ the kid” and being a spark plug like an 18 year old Doughty , skating circles around everyone has a lot of canuckleheads very pumped.  

I’m happy either way and watching him wherever he plays next year has me more excited for hockey than I have been for 3-4 years. Not only for Quinn but to see how all our other guys progress as well. 

• Upvote 3