The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

Just now, Pure961089 said:

I think much like when Bure first stepped onto the ice it was so glaring that he was head and shoulders better than everyone else on the ice.  Some5ing very similar will happen when Quinn Hughes steps on the ice.  He will assert himself as our best defencman on just pure raw talent alone.  It will be glaringly obvious to anyone watching who our best defencman is.

I totally agree.  And coach Green, wanting to win games, will play Hughes more and more.  In no time Hughes will be playing 20 plus minutes a game.  I think having him on defence against the small, quick players (like Goudreau) will be a big plus too.  Hughes is great at positional defence and using his stick.  

• Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

I don’t think it’s a joke at all, I think it’s a stark reality and indicative of the sad situation of the Canucks defence.  The Defence is awful, it’s not a stretch that Hughes on just raw talent alone is at least the most talented D we have by far.  No one comes close to his tool set. 

Our d isnt THAT awful.  Its just not remotely good.  

They are awful at scoring goals.  Not great at hitting either.

But as you point out, we have no goal scorers on d.  Get a good guy in there (like Hughes hopefully) and back it up with secondary scoring like Edler and hopefully Woo or Juolevi and suddenly then add Tryamkin (?) and suddenly its a very good, balanced defense.

If Hughes is as good as hoped, that'll do wonders driving the play by itself.

Edited by kloubek

1 minute ago, kloubek said:

Our d isnt THAT awful.  Its just not remotely good.  

They are awful at scoring goals.  Not great at hitting either.

But as you point out, we have no goal scorers on d.  Get a good guy in there (like Hughes hopefully) and back it up with secondary scoring like Edler and hopefully Woo or Juolevi and suddenly then add Tryamkin (?) and suddenly its a very good, balanced defense.

If Hughes is as good as hoped, that'll do wonders driving the play by itself.

There are actually some decent pieces. 

Edler is under-rated or over-scapegoated on this board.

Stecher had a down year and was still probably the Canucks best D.  The picture of the modern D in the NHL.  Gets to pucks quickly and gets them up, doesn't need to clear the front of the net because he doesn't let it get there.

Tanev,  An elite shutdown guy with no discernible offense. 

Hutton had a bad year, may be recoverable decent bottom to second pairing option.

MDZ is a serviceable vet.  Not great at anything.  Should be a depth guy but was often playing a ton of minutes.

Pouliot was essentially a rookie and took Hutton's spot, some potential there.

Guddy punches people.

Not terrible pieces but an awful mix. 

Now having OJ and Hughes will add a lot of puck moving and probably a better balance of offence, 

Jett Woo also looks like a player that moves the puck well.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

If Hughes played forward does he go first overall? Because if he plays as good as some people expect it may be another huge steal at the draft. Canucks have had no luck at the draft lottery but it hasn't seem to hurt them. WE won't know for a few years but imagine if hughes turns out to be a offensive juggernaut? He could very well be the defenseman every one regrets not taking in the first 6 spots. I am not knocking dhalin as first overall, But Hughes was playing against men also, And putting up better numbers than Dhalin. He looked good in the WC. Only on for 1 goal against. I am looking at hughes stats and I see a similar trait with EP. They start steady and get going fast.

15 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

There are actually some decent pieces. 

Edler is under-rated or over-scapegoated on this board.

Stecher had a down year and was still probably the Canucks best D.  The picture of the modern D in the NHL.  Gets to pucks quickly and gets them up, doesn't need to clear the front of the net because he doesn't let it get there.

Tanev,  An elite shutdown guy with no discernible offense. 

Hutton had a bad year, may be recoverable decent bottom to second pairing option.

MDZ is a serviceable vet.  Not great at anything.  Should be a depth guy but was often playing a ton of minutes.

Pouliot was essentially a rookie and took Hutton's spot, some potential there.

Guddy punches people.

Not terrible pieces but an awful mix. 

Now having OJ and Hughes will add a lot of puck moving and probably a better balance of offence, 

Jett Woo also looks like a player that moves the puck well.

I think that was a well thought out and very fair assessmant.

Edited by Mad Jon
Spelling mistake I hate that Assessment
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Grape said:

I watched around 10 Michigan games last year live and saw him at the intramural gym once playing basketball (I didn’t think much of it since there’s a bunch of popular athletes there so I didn’t approach him), and he legitimately is as small as he is made to seem, contrary to most hockey players who do stand out physically one way or another.

That being said he’s the guy (perhaps with bias although I’d argue otherwise) I wanted all along after Dahlin and Svechnikov were off the board, because I think he was always severely undervalued relative to the other three dman that were on the board, partially due to the fact that he “only” put up 29 points in 37 games in the NCAA as a 5’9 dman. And while I understand that it’s already a massive feat to achieve in a men’s league as an 18 year old, I think Hughes underperformed statistically relative to how good he really is, and part of that might be because Michigan didn’t have the best team (we obviously made it to the frozen four but we’re really just a slightly above avg team), and also due to a small sample size (37 games). I think if Hughes returns to Michigan, it’d be slightly disappointing if he didn’t put up close to PPG numbers, especially with some improved teammates, a full season of Lockwood (hopefully), and his brother on the team as well.

That being said I am extremely conflicted because I do want him on the Canucks next year as I wouldn’t worry about his development being hindered (cuz he’s reallt that good and that confident), but I also want to watch him and Jack play together live

The coach said they didn’t have a system set up for Hughes.  Hughes caught them totally off guard and unprepared.  They had to change on the fly their entire teams system because of him.  

18 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

I don't know about only Orr, that is quite a presumption and is is also presumptuous to compare him in any way with Orr.  There have been several D who used mobility the way that Orr did (in most cases with nowhere near the same success) - Coffey, Leech, Housley, Zubov, to name a few.  Don't bury this young kid under an overburden of excessive expectations - let him find his way.

Did you actually read my comment?  I said style of play.  And yes there are many fast defencemen that can carry the puck up the ice but I don’t see them weave through an entire team and hold on to the puck for 40-50 seconds.  Can you tell me of a defencman that did?  I can only think of one.  Those defencemen you mentions didn’t do that.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

42 minutes ago, cory40 said:

If Hughes played forward does he go first overall? Because if he plays as good as some people expect it may be another huge steal at the draft. Canucks have had no luck at the draft lottery but it hasn't seem to hurt them. WE won't know for a few years but imagine if hughes turns out to be a offensive juggernaut? He could very well be the defenseman every one regrets not taking in the first 6 spots. I am not knocking dhalin as first overall, But Hughes was playing against men also, And putting up better numbers than Dhalin. He looked good in the WC. Only on for 1 goal against. I am looking at hughes stats and I see a similar trait with EP. They start steady and get going fast.

No to the bolded. Dahlin was and is the top prospect hands down as every scout agreed. 

47 minutes ago, Mad Jon said:

I think that was a well thought out and very fair assessmant.

As do I, except the part that suggests mdz brings nothing to the table.  While hardly a crushing force, he by far and away had the most hits of our d, and is pretty good at eating minutes.

Edited by kloubek

1 hour ago, Pure961089 said:

Did you actually read my comment?  I said style of play.  And yes there are many fast defencemen that can carry the puck up the ice but I don’t see them weave through an entire team and hold on to the puck for 40-50 seconds.  Can you tell me of a defencman that did?  I can only think of one.  Those defencemen you mentions didn’t do that.  

Did you read the quote from Todd Bertuzzi? I would wager that he can spot how good a player is a little bit better than yourself :) And he is not calling for Hughes to reinvent the position!

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

How so?  He played 78 games with the Moose in '04.  He was 20yrs old.

I’m pretty sure Kesler played down in Manitoba during a lockout. That was following his first year with us. 

Edited by deepbluefunk
Spelling

3 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

I think much like when Bure first stepped onto the ice it was so glaring that he was head and shoulders better than everyone else on the ice.  Something very similar will happen when Quinn Hughes steps on the ice.  He will assert himself as our best defencman on just pure raw talent alone.  It will be glaringly obvious to anyone watching who our best defencman is.  

When Hughes flys out from behind the net like he was launched out of a cannon he will bring people out of their seats like Bure did.   

I'm inclined to agree, though I do believe Pettersson will give him a run for his money. In terms of skill, that is.

34 minutes ago, deepbluefunk said:

I’m pretty sure Kesler played down in Manitoba during a lockout. That was following his first year with us. 

Kesler was drafted in 03, he was cut and sent to the Moose after training camp that season, but got called up a couple times and played 28 NHL games in 03/04. He played all of the 04/05 season in the AHL due to the lockout.

So he did indeed play NHL games immediately after being drafted, I had forgotten about that. I always think of his rookie season as the season after the lockout.

Edited by MattJVD
Typos

3 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

I think much like when Bure first stepped onto the ice it was so glaring that he was head and shoulders better than everyone else on the ice.  Something very similar will happen when Quinn Hughes steps on the ice.  He will assert himself as our best defencman on just pure raw talent alone.  It will be glaringly obvious to anyone watching who our best defencman is.  

When Hughes flys out from behind the net like he was launched out of a cannon he will bring people out of their seats like Bure did.   

I think Hughes will be something like Reinhart, Great skater that can run the power play with speed..

Will be exciting to watch..

Prospects game July 5th he will show everyone that is at Rogers Arena how good he is..

There will be a buzz in the air after prospect game..

6 hours ago, SpennyCanuck said:

Just a quick question here.

can someone compare Hughes to Adam Fox.

Why was Hughes 1st round pedigree vs. Fox (who was a third round pick)

Just curious... 

Hughes18 had a better year in college then Cale Makar 19...Like Hughes better then Makar...

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2