The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

10 minutes ago, Dats hockey said:

Just curious, where do people rank our prospect pool after this draft? Gotta be atleast Top 5 in the League right?

I'd think so, but I'd have to have a closer look at a few other teams pools. 

There aren't many teams that have a blue chip top line centre prospect, #1 D prospect, and #1 Goaltender prospect.

• Upvote 4

15 minutes ago, Dats hockey said:

Just curious, where do people rank our prospect pool after this draft? Gotta be atleast Top 5 in the League right?

We have filled a lot of important core spots on Cup winning teams:

Elite goalie - Demko

Elite point producing center - Pettersson

Elite scoring winger - Boeser

Elite checking center - Bo

Elite D man - Hughes

Plus, we have a lot of other young guys, who will fill other roles: JV, Gadjovic, Lind, Woo, Gaudette, etc.   

All Canuck's fans should be preparing for a couple or more Stanley Cup parades along Georgia over the next decade.  

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

We have filled a lot of important core spots on Cup winning teams:

Elite goalie - Demko

Elite point producing center - Pettersson

Elite scoring winger - Boeser

Elite checking center - Bo

Elite D man - Hughes

Plus, we have a lot of other young guys, who will fill other roles: JV, Gadjovic, Lind, Woo, Gaudette, etc.   

All Canuck's fans should be preparing for a couple or more Stanley Cup parades along Georgia over the next decade.  

No mention of OJ?!:o

• Upvote 2

Looking like Quinn Hughes might actually turn pro!

He is AHL eligible and would be a huge boost for Utica even if he doesn't make the Canucks.

Still can play in the world Juniors to boot this year.

He is very similar in skating and size to Samuel Girard and it shows how a smaller but elite skating d man can be NHL ready very quickly.

1 hour ago, SpennyCanuck said:

Okay thanks, 

I'm just trying to find comparable players. Markar seems like a better match than Fox. 

Quinn is probably even faster than Will Butcher (NJ) who just had a great rookie season as an undersized D., and Quinn is and even better passer.

I am thinking he is going to blow us away with his hockey smarts and his last coach referencing Bobby Orr in regards to Hughes...may just be right on.

It could well end up a battle between 2 team mates and Dahlin for the Calder ...wouldn't that be something....3 Calder candidates in 2 years if it happened....!

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

I'm curious to see how Quinn will do. 

He can definitely rush the puck up ice or pass it up ice. He's also great at defending the rush. 

The challenge will be when the puck gets hemmed in his zone. 

2 things I notice is that even in NCAA, he doesn't really push the forward away from the net. This could be a problem with bigger stronger NHL forwards that will camp out in front of the crease banging at rebounds. I expect he will initially be responsible for some goals against and wonder how he will adjust to that. 

2nd thing is that when forwards shield the puck, he doesn't really have any options. He will need to wait until the forwards spin off and make a move towards the net and expose the puck but until that happens, there really won't be a chance to win the puck back. 

Quinn is a smart player and I'm sure he will look at guys like Stech and the smaller successful dmen like Rafalski to see how they defend. 

I noticed he never really had to push the forwards away. His speed and ability to read the play allowed him to have the puck many times when it looked like he had no Business getting it. My fav quote "if a defenseman has to clear the front of the net , He has already failed to do 90% of his job." All the plays Hughes ends up with the puck ,breaking up a zone entry etc are opportunities the other team failed at exposing his size. my bet is his talent out weigh the times a large forward is in his crease. Maybe that's where Guddy will come in. Let Hughes go get the puck while Guddy stays home.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

He is AHL eligible and would be a huge boost for Utica even if he doesn't make the Canucks.

He is very similar in skating and size to Samuel Girard and it shows how a smaller but elite skating d man can be NHL ready very quickly.

I see Montreal is saying that Jordan Subban is 'elite' after signing him. I guess 'elite' is generic or in the eye of the beholder. 

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I see Montreal is saying that Jordan Subban is 'elite' after signing him. I guess 'elite' is generic or in the eye of the beholder. 

Hope he can turn it around. at one point he was one of the Canuck's top prospects...

Maybe the east coast will work out better for him. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

Probably doesn't want to go to school anymore. Makes me like him even more. School bites.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Well, be like the Canucks signing Peter Sedin, expecting him to produce like Hank and Danny lol

• Haha 2