The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

13 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Found Hughes’ father’s comment that “worst case scenario [Quinn] goes back to Michigan” revealing.  Doesn’t that indicate Quinn is turning pro?  Is Europe an option, if he’s not with us?

IMO it sounds to me like the Hughes camp is pushing for him to make the club.  

I didn’t hear Dad talk about Europe unless I missed that. Dhaliwal brought that up after the interview was over I thought. 

Hughes camp sounds like NHL  is the goal (vs. a stint in Europe)

Edited by redhdlois
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Found Hughes’ father’s comment that “worst case scenario [Quinn] goes back to Michigan” revealing.  Doesn’t that indicate Quinn is turning pro?  Is Europe an option, if he’s not with us?

I think he's confident Hughes has a chance to make the team. Europe is an option but I could see him get the start in the AHL, with a call -up as soon as injuries hit.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Wow!  Great post.  I totally agree that Hughes, like Pettersson, will prove to be the best player in his draft.  

Thanks my friend it is good to be back HF was driving me nuts. Tried for weeksto open a new account here after my cousin from Calgary was here for a wedding and came here and said a bunch of crap. Oh well  I see not much has changed. People still want to trade Tanev for Lily lol. I asked another guy Earlier. How he would feel about Jumbo Joe for a year? I think it would be great for all the kids including Bo. His gut thinks he will be back with the Sharks, but I mean he offered to go there for the league min and play any role they wanted. I think they would have signed him already out of respect. Imagine if Hank was treated like that?

• Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I feel it's just one of those sayings that the worst case scenario isn't even a bad one. I think they would like him to turn pro right away because that is the dream. They know his career is in hockey so would probably like to get it started as soon as possible. His dad is pumping his sons tires as any parent would. If Quinn is willing to play a bit in the AHL for his development, then why not if the expectation is to sign him at the end of the college season and burn the year anyway. The only benefit of staying in college is more time to work out and train with fewer games.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Wow!  Great post.  I totally agree that Hughes, like Pettersson, will prove to be the best player in his draft.  

I like your energy Alf but he has not set foot in the league yet.  Lets give it a few years.

I hope you are right.

Now if we can just get some of these kids in the lineup.

11 hours ago, canuckledraggin said:

Anyway you slice it, he's going to play for team USA for the WJC in Vancouver. It would be stupid to keep him out of that tournament.

While it seems logical.  First rounder drafted by host city's team and all, there's zero guarantee this will happen.   So many elite prospects missed this tournament in the past because they were in the NHL already and contributing to their teams...McJesus,  Eichel,  Laine, Werenski,  Tkakfuk, Matthews, ect....

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

I'm fine if he's even the 2nd best player in the draft. Dahlin is amazing.

2 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

While it seems logical.  First rounder drafted by host city's team and all, there's zero guarantee this will happen.   So many elite prospects missed this tournament in the past because they were in the NHL already and contributing to their teams...McJesus,  Eichel,  Laine, Werenski,  Tkakfuk, Matthews, ect....

It's unlikely the Canucks will be serious contenders and if he wants to play in the tournament then why not? On the other hand, maybe it's better to keep him off the USA roster because we don't want to have a reason to be cheering for team USA.

Hughes isn't going to make our team any better or worse next year so Im kind of indifferent to whether he starts on the Canucks/AHL.

For his development though I think its best if he goes back to Michigan for one more year, gets stronger and dominates. Will be plenty of room on our roster for him to step in next year with all of our LDs being UFA/RFAs. I can see 2 of Edler, Del Zotto, Hutton, Pouliot being trade this season with Juolevi taking a spot and Hughes taking the other spot next year.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

That's a weird comment which I also don't agree with. You don't think if he makes the team he won't help out the PP and general transition game? He's not the kind of player that will just "blend in"... when he's on the ice both teams know it. Because we're such a low scoring team at the moment I think it will help Quinn's case to mke opening night roster. 

He's going to be a rookie and shouldn't be expected to produce a large amount. Plus one player doesn't make a team. Boeser came in last year and dominated and we still ended up at the bottom. Now we've lost the Sedins and Vanek who scored a lot so how will this team be better next year with a rookie D that may not be ready for a full NHL season?

Like it or not we are going to be at the bottom of the league next year. To many points out and one cant expect the rookies to make up all of those.

I feel it's best if Quinn goes back to Michigan, play in the World Juniors here in Vancouver then if they don't make it far in NCAA he should sign here and play the games left in the season. However it seems to me that Quinn really wants to turn pro right away and if he shows he can play then I don't see why we couldn't make room for him?

The willingness to play in the AHL is a plus also. Start in the AHL and get called up if needed.

39 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

He's going to be a rookie and shouldn't be expected to produce a large amount. Plus one player doesn't make a team. Boeser came in last year and dominated and we still ended up at the bottom. Now we've lost the Sedins and Vanek who scored a lot so how will this team be better next year with a rookie D that may not be ready for a full NHL season?

Like it or not we are going to be at the bottom of the league next year. To many points out and one cant expect the rookies to make up all of those.

It's different with defenceman though man. I'm saying his Corsi is off the charts already and he's going to help the transition game night and day. Remember when we had Erhoff versus when he left? It was pretty obvious the hole he left. I don't expect him to put up huge number and I don't think management does either but just by the way he plays he's going to open up teams and create chances. 

Hughes and Rathbone will both be at the prospect tourney .

If Hughes makes the team then we will have a D man to move. The Canucks also have some options in the UFA market. Will they look to acquire picks for next year? Is their potential to land some picks?  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

If he wants to sign then management would be wise to lock him down. Utica is an option. That way his training is under their control. Even if he was a number seven for a while.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Screw said:

I hope he uses a low number.  I dislike the weird high numbers. What low ones are available right now?

1, 2, 3, 7, 13, 14, 15, and now 17.

Though in Michigan he's number 43, and nobody in our franchise has ever worn 43 I believe.

Edited by Odd.