The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

2 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

A young player has to be smart enough to understand that if they are wearing the number of one of the best players ever, they are going to look like a fool if they cannot perform. Wearing it "cuz he likes it" is a childish notion in a cut throat world. Just my opinion though.

Like Patrick reed wearing black and red on Sundays to pay homage to Tiger. 

Thankfully Nike said uh uh and put a stop to it. He looked like a fool. 

15 minutes ago, messier's_elbow said:

I’m getting the vibe Hughes will make the team and be our top Defenceman by years end. 

I actually think they may give him another year to add some muscle. Not a bad thing in the big picture.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Baggins said:

I actually think they may give him another year to add some muscle. Not a bad thing in the big picture.

I'm sure they would be willing to, but if he wants to turn pro, which it seems he does, I am sure we will see him in camp.

• Cheers 1

Just now, WeneedLumme said:

I'm sure they would be willing to, but if he wants to turn pro, which it seems he does, I am sure we will see him in camp.

I didn't say he wouldn't be at camp. He could still turn pro and play in Utica. I'm just not sold they'll through him in the deep end at his current weight.

2 minutes ago, Baggins said:

I didn't say he wouldn't be at camp. He could still turn pro and play in Utica. I'm just not sold they'll through him in the deep end at his current weight.

I'm pretty sure he's a good swimmer, but we will see.

• Haha 4

11 hours ago, prix57 said:

they should give Hughes 6 and make Boeser wear 9.  Not sure why he wears 6, weird number for a scoring forward to wear.  9 is more natural for a goal scorer.

His dad did wear it in high school and I believe someone else mentioned that one of his very close friends who died in a car accident also wore 6 so I think it's a number that has a lot of meaning to him. I agree it looks kind of strange but I think he has good personal reasons for wearing that number which should be respected by the team and fans. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

9 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

Yeah, hard to see how much further he is going to develop playing against players who are not as good as he is already.

he might never play against players who are almost as good as he is. lol

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

A young player has to be smart enough to understand that if they are wearing the number of one of the best players ever, they are going to look like a fool if they cannot perform. Wearing it "cuz he likes it" is a childish notion in a cut throat world. Just my opinion though.

The late Pat Quin had a issue with Bure wearing #96 before he earned it. Then the Young kids started wearing high numbers and kinda deluted the Value a bit. But Hughes is going to be that good as well as Elias. So hang on for the ride two superstars in the last two years. Yagr had a high number off the gate as well. Some players you just know stardom is how they train and how they play. Its not like coming out of Junior wondering if they will be O.K against men. They have already been on that stage. Huges the youngest player in Ncaa, Shows how smart his family is. And will be the path to the NHL for top tier players because they can go to the AHL.

1 hour ago, Pure961089 said:

Just listened to a clip of Jim Hughes, the father of Quinn Hughes on Sportsnet 650. And all I can say is Daaaaaammmnnnn.  The father has been training his kids like Navy Seals since they were 14.  They payed all the sports and excelled at everything,  Quinn and Jack have been preparing for this since they were friggn born.   He had both boys in the cross country, “line up 250 kids and they’d go into the woods and there’d be winners. The worse the weather the better for my kids, If it was cold great better for my kids, if it was muddy even better for the Hughes kids”. - Jim Hughes.  The interview went on like this . It was almost scary lol.  Great Insight into the Hughes Family.  Hockey is there life.  They’ve been training their kids since they could walk.    http://pmd.sportsnet650.ca/audio_on_demand/jim-hughes-with-hosts-tsl-20180629-Interview.mp3

Wow thanks for sharing that interview. What an absolute gem we got with the 7th pick this year. This kid is mentally and emotionally ready to play in a place like Vancouver. I think he makes the team out of training camp. 

• Cheers 3

8 hours ago, coastal.view said:

His dad did wear it in high school and I believe someone else mentioned that one of his very close friends who died in a car accident also wore 6 so I think it's a number that has a lot of meaning to him. I agree it looks kind of strange but I think he has good personal reasons for wearing that number which should be respected by the team and fans. 

I believe he wore 16 in college in honour of his friend but that number wasn’t available so he went with 6 which also had meaning as mentioned his Dad wore it. 

I say Quinn goes with 43. 

25 minutes ago, SingleThorn said:

I don't know. I'm just thinking to myself 'I don't think that's QH' ! Maybe it's the shoes !

No doubt. Consensus rankings say that Q has an elite level shoe game. Ty Madden’s looking more C-grade right now. But hey, Judd Brackett said part of the reason the Canucks like Son of Mad Dog is that he has room to grow. ;) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1