The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

Just now, thrago said:

I was always hoping one of Boquist or Dobson would be drafted by us. I never even looked into Hughes as I expected him to be gone. I totally trust Bennings pick and am excited because he sounds great. But because I didn't  think he was a possibility  I never looked into him much. Gonna go watch some videos. I'm excited to see what he can do. 

Is it possible we got the biggest steal 2 drafts in a row?

I look forward to finding out. 

1 minute ago, thrago said:

I was always hoping one of Boquist or Dobson would be drafted by us. I never even looked into Hughes as I expected him to be gone. I totally trust Bennings pick and am excited because he sounds great. But because I didn't  think he was a possibility  I never looked into him much. Gonna go watch some videos. I'm excited to see what he can do. 

Is it possible we got the biggest steal 2 drafts in a row?

Looks like biggest steal might be Islanders at 12 with Dobson .... wow did he drop.  Never expected him to go down that far.  And Zadina.

Edited by Viper007
  • Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, Darkstar said:

I've waited 7 years, 7 freaking years, for them to add a puck moving presence to replace Christian Ehrhoff.

They have done that today. This team is finally going to take that next step into becoming an elite hockey team once again.

I can't be any happier.

Darkstar is the future so bright that you gotta wear shades? ;) 

Personal life[edit]

Hughes was born in Orlando, Florida while his father was assistant coach for the Orlando Solar Bears.[13] He is Jewish.[14] He comes from a hockey playing family as his father, Jim Hughes, was a former hockey player and team captain for Providence College, an assistant coach for the Boston Bruins, and the Toronto Maple Leafs Director of Player Development.[15][16] As well, his mother Ellen Hughes, played ice hockey, lacrosse, and soccer at the University of New Hampshire and, in 2012, was inducted into the University of New Hampshire Athletics Hall of Fame.[16] She also played for the United States women's national ice hockey team, and won a silver medal at the 1992 World Championship.[17] Hughes has two younger brothers, Jack and Luke, who also play hockey. Jack plays for the U.S. National U18 Team and is considered a top draft prospect for 2019.[18][19] Luke plays minor ice hockey for Little Caesars Bantam Major AAA.[20][19]

His uncle Marty and his cousin, Teddy Doherty, were also both involved in hockey.[17] Marty last played in the British National League for the Dundee Stars,[21] and Teddy last played for the Manchester Monarchs in the ECHL.[22]

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Viper007 said:

Looks like biggest steal might be Islanders at 12 with Dobson .... wow did he drop.  Never expected him to go down that far.  And Zadina.

Dobson and Bouchard both dropped because of questions about their slow feet.  They will play, but might not be more than bottom pair guys.  Hughes and (to a lesser degree) Boqvist are fabulous skaters with much higher ceilings.  

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

I like Hughs.

Not going to say I was hoping for him, but he figures to be locked into the new core, so I’m getting used to it, slowly. 

Seriously though, how small is too small for D and for Vancouver’s roster as a whole? 

I thought the same thing and then wondered if one or two like Trymakin, Brisebois, Sautner, Chatfield make the roster along with Gudbranson we would have some toughness back there.

5 minutes ago, Viper007 said:

And they added more offense with Wahlstrom at 11, they look to be filling out a very nice roster.

Just now, 6string said:

And they added more offense with Wahlstrom at 11, they look to be filling out a very nice roster.

Yup, they look to be heading in the right direction.  Let's see if JT re-signs, but it's looking better for the islanders.  They were finally smart in dumping Snow.

10 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

I like Hughes 

Not going to say I was hoping for him, but he figures to be locked into the new core, so I’m getting used to it, slowly. 

Seriously though, how small is too small for D and for Vancouver’s roster as a whole? 

Get Tryamkin back and trade for Nick Ritchie to pull the average up.

I am ecstatic about this kid. Does anyone have a clip of TSN's version of his draft selection? it seems burke was to busy talking about him being an ncaa risk and to small lol. Love to hear bob's words.