The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

3 hours ago, DeNiro said:

The problem now is that they have so much tied up in a handful of players that they have no money for quality depth.

For all the complaining that people do about Benning overpaying for bottom 6 forwards, at least we have quality role players in every position and not having to fill out our roster with plugs.

Didn't our bottom 6 have the worst goal differential in the league last year?

20 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Didn't our bottom 6 have the worst goal differential in the league last year?

Weren’t most of our bottom 6 players injured?

Either way they’re performing this year, no one can deny that.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Weren’t most of our bottom 6 players injured?

Either way they’re performing this year, no one can deny that.

Being able to stay healthy is a skill. The top teams in the league usually remain pretty healthy throughout the year. Investing and holding on to injury prone players isn't really a recipe for success. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Being able to stay healthy is a skill. The top teams in the league usually remain pretty healthy throughout the year. Investing and holding on to injury prone players isn't really a recipe for success. 

Not sure I agree that staying healthy is a skill. Especially when you consider the nature of the injuries. It just comes down to the teams style of play and luck.

Also most of those so called injury prone players were not injury prone until they arrived here. Hard to dump them once they are battling Injuries and not exactly good asset management.

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Not sure I agree that staying healthy is a skill. Especially when you consider the nature of the injuries. It just comes down to the teams style of play and luck.

Also most of those so called injury prone players were not injury prone until they arrived here. Hard to dump them once they are battling Injuries and not exactly good asset management.

I would say it definitely is a skill, at least to some degree. Some things like Boeser's major injury are complete wild cards and some players are more effected by their skill level in staying healthy than others, but some players just know how to protect themselves better. Every time Tanev blocks a shot it looks like it could be a broken bone whereas Russel hasn't been injured nearly as often blocking more shots. 

The Canucks were forced to play a taxing style because they're bottom 6 was devoid of any skill and/or smarts. How come Washington's bottom 6 hasn't been injured nearly as badly this year? What about Tampa's last year? They have a fundamentally different makeup in their bottom 6 mentality wise. I'm not saying we should have been as good as those teams are/were but our playstyle as a result of our personnel choices certainly didn't help. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

On 1/2/2020 at 7:54 PM, Horvat is a Boss said:

Pittsburgh says whaaaaaaaaaat?

• Haha 1

Having two players who can each single handedly carry a franchise into the Playoffs is the difference for them. 

I am pretty sure that most people would agree that it would have been a mistake for them to give up on Crosby because of his injuries. It was after his long stretch of looking extremely injury prone that he won both his Conn Smythes.

• Cheers 1

On 1/2/2020 at 7:54 PM, Horvat is a Boss said:

Investing and holding on to injury prone players isn't really a recipe for success. 

Having two players who can each single handedly carry a franchise into the Playoffs is the difference for them. 

You missed my point - those two players that you correctly identify as carrying the team both have a lengthy history of injuries,  yet Pit bet their entire franchise on them.   Same with Wu-Tang, he has a lengthy injury history yet Pit decided to invest in him as their franchise defenceman.  I'm not saying our guys are on their level but you can't write guys off solely on the past imo.  

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, WeneedLumme said:

I am pretty sure that most people would agree that it would have been a mistake for them to give up on Crosby because of his injuries. It was after his long stretch of looking extremely injury prone that he won both his Conn Smythes.

1 hour ago, Fanuck said:

You missed my point - those two players that you correctly identify as carrying the team both have a lengthy history of injuries,  yet Pit bet their entire franchise on them.   Same with Wu-Tang, he has a lengthy injury history yet Pit decided to invest in him as their franchise defenceman.  I'm not saying our guys are on their level but you can't write guys off solely on the past imo.  

My bad. I thought you were referring to how Pittsburgh is top 5 in the standings so far this season despite suffering through a large amount of injuries.

Comparing our injury riddles players to Crosby and Malkin is insane. Evaluating the risk/reward for a healthy Crosby and Malkin is a lot different than it is for a healthy Sutter and Ferland. They are not comparable.

If Pettersson had sustained another injury our two this year, he would still be worth keeping around. Boeser, after 2 wrist surgeries (I believe it's 2) and a major back injury, is still worth keeping around. Their impact on the team is that big. However, Sutter's is not and it is/was not worth keeping him.

3 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Watching the WJC today you have to be impressed with the  Romanov kid and in the same vein Bahl played a major role for Canada, I hope Woo equals those guys, that's a big measuring stick

Bahl was terrible.  We won in spite of having that slug.  Guy got turn styled frequently.  Woo in an NHL D man fir sure.  

See bridge ... crawl ... sleep.  

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

Well 

43 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Bahl was terrible.  We won in spite of having that slug.  Guy got turn styled frequently.  Woo in an NHL D man fir sure.  

Well  all the Cdn WJC selection committee would likely disagree and Dale Hunter played him quite a bit so he was happy. Maybe Hockey Canada would appreciate your in put next year :gocan:

Edited by Fred65

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

See bridge ... crawl ... sleep.  

I thought he held is own and represented his country admirably...

10 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

My bad. I thought you were referring to how Pittsburgh is top 5 in the standings so far this season despite suffering through a large amount of injuries.

Comparing our injury riddles players to Crosby and Malkin is insane. Evaluating the risk/reward for a healthy Crosby and Malkin is a lot different than it is for a healthy Sutter and Ferland. They are not comparable.

If Pettersson had sustained another injury our two this year, he would still be worth keeping around. Boeser, after 2 wrist surgeries (I believe it's 2) and a major back injury, is still worth keeping around. Their impact on the team is that big. However, Sutter's is not and it is/was not worth keeping him.

So you believe that it is appropriate to dump useful but injury prone players like a Salo or a Sutter whose icetime can be replaced by a Hamhuis/Bieksa/Ehrhoff or a Gaudette/Beagle/Bo when they go down.

But you feel it is fine to build around injury prone players like a Crosby or a Malkin who consume huge portions of your salary cap and who absolutely cannot be replaced when they are injured.

And you would have been saying the same thing after the third consecutive year Crosby played half the season or less? Yes, their impact on the team is indeed big. As is the impact on the team when they are injured.

Your position makes no sense. Like saying that gambling a hundred dollars is bad, but it's ok to gamble your entire life savings.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

So you believe that it is appropriate to dump useful but injury prone players like a Salo or a Sutter whose icetime can be replaced by a Hamhuis/Bieksa/Ehrhoff or a Gaudette/Beagle/Bo when they go down.

But you feel it is fine to build around injury prone players like a Crosby or a Malkin who consume huge portions of your salary cap and who absolutely cannot be replaced when they are injured.

And you would have been saying the same thing after the third consecutive year Crosby played half the season or less? Yes, their impact on the team is indeed big. As is the impact on the team when they are injured.

Your position makes no sense. Like saying that gambling a hundred dollars is bad, but it's ok to gamble your entire life savings.

Players like Crosby and Malkin leave a huge void when they are out, but not even that can offset what they bring when they are in. It's about evaluating the benefits and drawbacks of the situation. Having a healthy Crosby in the lineup outweighs pretty much all drawbacks (dead cap, lineup replacements, etc.). Having a healthy Sutter in the lineup does not. They are two separate, incomparable things. 

• Wat 1

23 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Watching the WJC today you have to be impressed with the  Romanov kid and in the same vein Bahl played a major role for Canada, I hope Woo equals those guys, that's a big measuring stick

Romanov was killer...Bahl can skate and makes safe plays...Woo is Woonderful but woondering why...

I actually see Woo as right between those 2 in style and affect...but until they play pro it's anyone's guess who will turn out better...the floor of the other 2 is substantial though....

Goo Woo Gooooo!

• Haha 1

On 1/5/2020 at 7:33 PM, Fanuck said:

Same with Wu-Tang, he has a lengthy injury history yet Pit decided to invest in him as their franchise defenceman. 

RZA or GZA?  Oh, the defenceman, DZA?  He's good, but not quite a franchise defenceman ;)