The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

4 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

It could be tough to make Utika this fall if there is no player movement up or out:

Brisebois   Rafferty

Juolevi.      Chatfield

Teves.        Sautner

Eliot 

All Canuck prospects! and all pretty good. Usually AHL defences have three or four older AHL club signees on the D. We played most of the year with Canuck signees, on occasion with one or two Utica signees. Woo may have to start in the ECHL, just as MacEneny and Eliot did. Though Imwould not be surprised to see Rafferty move up if Tanev does not re-sign or if Stetcher is moved. Though, if Tryamkin is signed (Tryamkin can play either side) that might be another block in the way of upward movement. I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see a substantially different D in Vancouver this fall.

Biggest thing last year (this year?) was that we remained completely healthy on the back end and therefore couldn't audition any of our younger players without potentially messing with our playoff chemistry. Although I would have personally preferred to see Rafferty, Brisebois or Juolevi get some games instead of Fanta or Benn when their play was down.

I don't think we can keep Tanev unless we are allowed to compliance buy out Eriksson and Sutter. That opens a spot for Tryamkin and allows some competition within the bottom 3. Though if we do manage to resign Tanev to a short term deal (will only be injured more often as he ages) then we could trade Stecher.

Hughes-Myers

Edler-Rafferty

Tryamkin-Stecher

Benn

On 4/12/2020 at 4:56 AM, Ray_Cathode said:

It could be tough to make Utika this fall if there is no player movement up or out:

Brisebois   Rafferty

Juolevi.      Chatfield

Teves.        Sautner

Eliot 

All Canuck prospects! and all pretty good. Usually AHL defences have three or four older AHL club signees on the D. We played most of the year with Canuck signees, on occasion with one or two Utica signees. Woo may have to start in the ECHL, just as MacEneny and Eliot did. Though Imwould not be surprised to see Rafferty move up if Tanev does not re-sign or if Stetcher is moved. Though, if Tryamkin is signed (Tryamkin can play either side) that might be another block in the way of upward movement. I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see a substantially different D in Vancouver this fall.

I'd be pretty shocked to not see one of Rafferty, Brisebois, Juolevi or Sautner on the big team next year. Even if it's just Sautner as 7th.

I also think Woo, (assuming he shows well) could easily bump Teves or Eliot.

Edited by aGENT
  • Like 1

On 4/13/2020 at 9:50 AM, aGENT said:

I'd be pretty shocked to not see one of Rafferty, Brisebois, Juolevi or Sautner on the big team next year. Even if it's just Sautner as 7th.

I also think Woo, (assuming he shows well) could easily bump Teves or Eliot.

Up till the point Teves got hurt this year in Utica, he was the best defensive D there. Not the same guy afterward, maybe lingering effects of the injury. Coming season, though, and a chance to heal and train may see his game return.

• Like 1

Up till the point Teves got hurt this year in Utica, he was the best defensive D there. Not the same guy afterward, maybe lingering effects of the injury. Coming season, though, and a chance to heal and train may see his game return.

And if so, we have some good depth to potentially trade.

Either way, I'm not seeing the 'problem' with fitting Woo in. He's our own high draft pick who's trending well. They'll make sure his development is a priority so long as he continues to trend well.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

didn't he end up in Kalamazoo? granted I didn't watch anything but highlights out of Utica but this is the first I've heard of Teves being Utica's best defence man. 

6 minutes ago, aGENT said:

And if so, we have some good depth to potentially trade.

Either way, I'm not seeing the 'problem' with fitting Woo in. He's our own high draft pick who's trending well. They'll make sure his development is a priority so long as he continues to trend well.

It would be surprising to me if Woo didn't make Utica next season. I also can't see how Teves cracks the left side on the Canucks. I guess he could get picked off waivers but why? 

• Cheers 3

9 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

didn't he end up in Kalamazoo? granted I didn't watch anything but highlights out of Utica but this is the first I've heard of Teves being Utica's best defence man. 

It would be surprising to me if Woo didn't make Utica next season. I also can't see how Teves cracks the left side on the Canucks. I guess he could get picked off waivers but why? 

We're pretty crowded at D

On 4/16/2020 at 8:29 AM, Jimmy McGill said:

Teves was a large part of Rafferty's success in the first half of the season.  Usually playing together, he was the defensive conscience of that pairing

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Googlie said:

Teves was a large part of Rafferty's success in the first half of the season.  Usually playing together, he was the defensive conscience of that pairing

interesting. Losing Teves didn't effect BR's production at all tho, just checked and he had 22 pts in the 1st half, 23 pts in the second 1/2 of his season. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

interesting. Losing Teves didn't effect BR's production at all tho, just checked and he had 22 pts in the 1st half, 23 pts in the second 1/2 of his season. 

True. - although he did replace Ollie on the 1st unit PP when Juolevi went down with injury. And his +/- did take a bit of a hit when he lost Teves (as did Teves when he returned. - iirc he wasn't paired with Rafferty those last few games).  

They were a formidable pair together, although I do see Rafferty coming to the Canucks before Teves. I could see him thriving paired with Edler next season

• Cheers 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/20/2020 at 10:49 AM, Googlie said:

True. - although he did replace Ollie on the 1st unit PP when Juolevi went down with injury. And his +/- did take a bit of a hit when he lost Teves (as did Teves when he returned. - iirc he wasn't paired with Rafferty those last few games).  

They were a formidable pair together, although I do see Rafferty coming to the Canucks before Teves. I could see him thriving paired with Edler next season

I thought Teves became the forgotten man in Utica and I believe some one mentioned that he didn't look quite right after his return from injury

On 5/29/2020 at 9:58 AM, AK_19 said:

What's the likelihood Woo makes the cut for Utica next year assuming they have another season this year?

I don’t see why he wouldn’t?    
Id say 95% he will be a comet next year. 
If they play. 

• Cheers 2

On 5/29/2020 at 2:32 PM, Fred65 said:

I thought Teves became the forgotten man in Utica and I believe some one mentioned that he didn't look quite right after his return from injury

I'd like to know what happened with Teves too.  He was looking so good early in the season, almost on par with Rafferty, then seemed to drop off the Utica radar completely part way through the season.

Edited by Captain Canuck #12

Woo is going to be a polarizing player for me.

I'm looking forward to tracking his progression as a pro.

Imo, he's going to be an important piece to Vancouvers future success.

He may never become an offensive star but, who knows?

He could become more the player he was in his draft year.

If we get a Tanev type with higher intensity, I'd call picking him a win.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, komodo0921 said:

Plays more like a 'Bieksa' than a 'Tanev' IMO.

• Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

53 minutes ago, komodo0921 said:

I could be wrong but I tend to think Woo may have regressed. Twice he failed to make the Cdn WJC roster, that's not inspiring, heck I think Focht came closer to making the team. We can all hope that maybe the pro game may suit him better. 

• Cheers 2